Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

What i do is refresh the firmware.  Revert back, call gopro.

Highlighted
Tourist

I just returned my Hero 7 White because of it having issue,  and I just purchase the Hero 7 Black and  hope for it to be better than the white,  but when I charge the battery,  it only go to 90% and won't charge past that.  I tried everything suggested,  factory reset,  take battery in/out.   I have the sandisk micro  64gb sd U3 / V30 .    Seems like many others having the same problem of getting this thing to charge 100%.   The firmware on my Hero 7 Black is currently the latest version 1.7.      Anyone have another work around befside reverting the firmware to previous version which I don't think end user have access to previous version.

Highlighted
Tourist

I did factory reset, took out memory card, battery,  put back in,  now it won't even charge.    Vacation is coming up soon,  Gopro is not reliable both their products and supports,  going to return it again this time I'm stay away from GoPro.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

It's not reliable enough for professional purposes. I regret buying it. Had a freeze and hot camera twice this week. Next camera will be a cheap knock-off again. Never had problems with those nor was it important how to update the firmware or which cards to use or how I charge them.

Highlighted
Tourist

And still nothing from the company. One can easily conclude there is no fix coming.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, further to previous posts  no further flat batteries so far 2 week of testing day 1-4 100% day 5 down to 96%

have 2 gopro batteries one of which is in the camera

2 one was charged to 100% it has been sitting for 2 weeks it reads 4.31 volts

the 2 wasabi batteries also charged to 100% have been sitting for 2 weeks one reads 4.30 volts which I have put on the charger and it is accepting charge the charger says its charged now but voltage still reads 4.30 sorry dont have a higher res multimeter

the other reads 4.31 volts and does not accept charge so presumably is at 100% charge

I suspect the battery I have in the camera was the one previously spoken about that seems to self discharge more than the other

a note on shutdown please release the power button as soon as you hear the beeps otherwise i suspect it may trigger a power up if held down too long as i said this is a random problem and is due to power down issues wether it be a crash endless loop at power down  etc in my opinion anyway

Note if you know you want to use your gopro or any other camera would you not make sure your batteries are fully charged the night before like your phone etc

I leave mine on the charger  overnight till I'm ready to go the choice is yours and as noted I have 4 batteries haven't had one run out while recording yet firmware 1.7 everything turned off except quick start

as far as I am aware gopro are looking into this but since it is random it may be hard to track down

as for resetting to factory default as far as I know this will not solve your issue unless you had a very old firmware but  suggest having 1.7 is  your best bet untill the next comes out

Cheers,Brent

Highlighted
Hiker

The same situation here.

I have:

• 1 Original GoPro battery (made in Vietnam)
  • 1 Original GoPro battery (made in China)
  • 1 Original GoPro battery from my old GoPro Hero 5 (made in Vietnam)
  • SanDisk Extreme U3 64Gb (recommended one)
  • GPS is OFF, Voice is OFF, WiFi is OFF
  • Quick Capture is ON

All these batteries, in the GoPro Hero 5 do not have any issue.

All these batteries, in the GoPro Hero 7, have the same problem after shortly recording something (from OFF state with Quick Capture) after few hours the battery is dead.

The manual update I’ve already tried => no luck. I went back to the shop and explained the situation. They accepted to replace the camera since they said it must be a faulty unit. I accepted and I was happy, until I went out for short filming.

I came back in the evening with 70% battery, transferred 2 videos via Wifi (2.4Gz), deactivated the Wifi and turned the camera off.

Today morning the camera was dead! ☹

So since the second camera has exactly the same behavior, I would say it just bad SW.

I am so disappointed. I loved my GP Hero5, so I supposed the 7 will be much better.

The only thing which I am doing different than GP sais is the first setup process. By default when you first turn on the camera, it camera expects to connect to it via the APP and make some settings.

I cannot do that since by default the GoPro Hero 7 is starting with its 5Gz Wifi ON and since the Channel used by GoPro is illegal in Europe, none of the phones or tablets I have can see the camera and connect to it. This is the other big Problem of this Camera.

I have to cancel the setup Process, change the WiFi from 5 to 2.4 and then there is no Wizzard/Setup process anymore.

I have one week left, until I can return also the second camera and get my money back. With the current situation, I think this is what I will choose to do.

Highlighted
Tourist

Same here. My GoPro Hero 7 drains the battery with about 3% per hour when turned off without wifi or speech recogonition turned on. Else it's much more. When I have the camera running, I can record about 1 hour then the battery is empty. I will try the manual update now, else I will replace the GoPro and if the replacement doesn't work I will give it back.