Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

[ New ]
@mirkog113
Awesome, thanks! Can't believe I haven't seen that before.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi mirkogg113
Very well said. You hit the nub of the issue. Owners are not just in the US, with its many resources. We are all over the world. In some locations where the the option and/or opportunities for redress are very difficult. This requires a more intimate understanding of the mode/s of failure. Just to present a plausible case to the dealer or Gopro.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi fishycomics.
Thanks for the video. Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the offer of help. Unfortunately, many of us with Gopro issues are on the wrong side of the planet. But thanks for your testing and advice.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi GP support people.

I've used my 4 month old GP7B in super suit for my diving trips - no issues, good quality images and videos. Until today - it was charged overnight as I usually do before diving days. First dive - tried to turn it on - no life signs at all. Upset - in the break beteeen dives, checked battery - 0%. Placed on charge upto 61%. Placed in super suit, checked that it works - seem ok. 2-nd dive - same story , GP won't turn on at all. After second dive, dried up super suit, took GP out - no turning on. Took battery out, put it back in - turns on showing 21% charge WTF?!? This doesn't make sense at all. Up til now I was able to use my GP all the time - no problems at all.

Of course simple search landed me in this thread - what the... How is this even possible GP team???

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi GP support people.

I've used my 4 month old GP7B in super suit for my diving trips - no issues, good quality images and videos. Until today - it was charged overnight as I usually do before diving days. First dive - tried to turn it on - no life signs at all. Upset - in the break beteeen dives, checked battery - 0%. Placed on charge upto 61%. Placed in super suit, checked that it works - seem ok. 2-nd dive - same story , GP won't turn on at all. After second dive, dried up super suit, took GP out - no turning on. Took battery out, put it back in - turns on showing 21% charge WTF?!? This doesn't make sense at all. Up til now I was able to use my GP all the time - no problems at all.

Of course simple search landed me in this thread - what the... How is this even possible GP team???
Hiker

[ New ]
Update. I managed to get my camera replaced. The replacement was a disaster. Always freezing even without SD card on. I'm waiting for the second replacement... They gifted me with a head mount. Very nice, but I hope to get a working one this time...
Adventurer

[ New ]

keep us all posted  

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @redboost35831

What SD card are you using?

How are you charging the camera?

The steps on this link should help you out.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi aragon1006. Getting a bit confused here. mirkogg113 is the one with siezing up issues.
redboost58381 has a camera charge failure when diving.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi harry49,
If you read details of my post, you’ll see that I’ve experienced failure of GP7B while diving in the way of sieving up - I.e. not starting, while battery charge was ok, although dropped from 61% to 20% after taking battery out and placing it in to start it up, after I took it out of supersuit. The point is - I want to trust my expensive gear that design to capture magic moments, after this incident - I cannot really on it. Most annoying !!!
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi guys!

I had the same problem with the battery. BAT DRAINS!

When i have Quick Capture on, i have a Drain about 5-6% a day. But, if i use Quick Capture Button for filming, somethings happen and bat drain issue appears after i stop the filming with the Quick Capture button (Not always with the first try).

Finally i solved it, but it's a BUG!!!

You have first to TOTTALLY FORMAT SD CARD (i use MicroSDXC 128GB SanDisk A2 Extreme Plus 128Gb).

Second, i did manual update after i allready done Factory Reset.

Third, after Initial Setup (I put GPS and Wifi to OFF)

Forth, i did a Camera format to my SD Card.

Fifth, i remove the Bat for 10 sec and i placed it back.

Sixth, I also set QUICK CAPTURE to OFF because after searching i found out that was the reason of the BAT  DRAIN ISSUE!!!

That was it! Bat Drain Stoped!

Seventh, I bought a new Battery made by SAMSUNG (My GoPro Hero7 Black came with an AMPEREX bat).

As a result after trials with these two batteries, i found out that the Samsung has much better performance and lasts long!

So, GoPro yeah, the Drain issue it's a bug that i didn't have it with Hero6 and of course you have to change battery manufacturer.

Smiley WinkSmiley WinkHeart

Waiting for Firmware Update GOPRO!

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi redboost. I did read your post. The response to you and mirkogg113 from aragon1006 was addressing mirkogg113 siezing issue, and not yours. That was my point.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi redboost. Just did a re read of your original post. You are correct. If you can't turn on the device and you count that as siezing up. Just trying to help. I would have said that siezing up is with the device turned on, you are unable to start filming or move from mode to mode. Just a poor assumption on my part. Sorry
Tourist

[ New ]
Hey Harry,
All good mate, thank you for second post.
I hope this can be resolved without much fiddling
I like this brand - but man it let me down big time on this occasions
Cheers
Tourist

[ New ]
Redboost. I'm on my 2Nd GP7B. same deal. Random loss of power. Therefore, cannot turn it on. Pull the battery, and it's dead or close to it. Firmware update please. Tested all manner of ways. Including, no SD Card. ALL options off minimal screen power. Gets to around 65% Then either dies or keeps running
This is when it's turned OFF. Recording data daily.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @harry49

Thank you for providing the details. It would be best to get in touch with Support for further assistance on this matter. You may refer to the same case number that you were provided previously so the team can pull up the case easily. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 

Marius

Adventurer

[ New ]

Does Support have the answer for Battery Drain.  They have  replacement camera's.   Will they have  a updated camera with no battery drain. SUpoort will have replacement camera's As long as the warranty and Plus or care pkg is  in order?  Will gopro replace wth a newer model the hero 8 black, Support will have that answer.  Will GoPro   allow you to downgrade to  the Hero 6 Black  Only support will have that answer.

So if you are unhappy

• Contact Support
  • Ask them about   swapping to the Hero 8 Black
  • Ask them about  swapping to an older model
  • Ask them about extending your warranty
  • ask them about new firmware to  correct the camera
  • ask them

Ask a Representitive at the GoPro Support. and enjoy your camera.

Tourist

[ New ]
And do you REALLY think support will set a precedent in doing any of the stuff you suggest??
Tourist

[ New ]
Fishycomics.
1, Support contacted. New cam, same as old.
2.Hero 8 not out yet. Not likely to get
response.
3. But I paid for the new and improved newer model.
4. Don't need a warranty extension. Still ok there.
5.Asked them when new firmware available. Their engineers can't say.
6. Do they have an answer for random battery drain. NO. they do not.

Fishy. Don't appreciate the bold type or your insinuation I am an idiot. If you have run out of constructive help. I thank for your past efforts. I'm sure you cannot have missed the others who continue to have difficulties in the same or similar vein.
Hiker

[ New ]

After 8 days without using my hero7 with the battery inside the camera, the battery dropped 1% of charge. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @greenboost65412 @konstantin30287

A manual update should take care of the battery not reaching 100% issue.

If the last update was not done manually, please proceed in updating your camera through https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black

Other users also suggest that after charging your camera fully, remove then reinsert the battery.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi konstantine.
Thanks for your input. Out of curiosity, can you tell me what version software is in your GPH7B?
Hiker

[ New ]
Software version1.70
On page 127, (ten posts above) you can find the procedure i followed with my hero7
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks Konstantine. It has been said that moving from V 1.61 to the latest version not required as they are not experiencing this issue. Hence my question. Spoke to gopro call centre in Philippines yesterday. So awaiting on a response.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi Mariustanya
Had an in depth discussion with the Gopro call centre in the Philippines yesterday. Hopefully, I will have a response on Monday.
Tourist

[ New ]
Konstantin. Just for information and comment following your process on pages 127.
Leaving Quick Capture feature on is recognised to cause battery drain. Mine is always off.
In my testing the SD Card is not installed.
I have already done a reset and manually installed v 1.7.
Gps and WiFi are off.
Produce, low light and stabilisation are off.
Battery removal as suggested is done.
I use 2 x Gopro batts made in Vietnam and 2 x Wasabi batts with Japanese cells.

Do you have a model number for your Samsung Battery? Thanks for your help.
Tourist

[ New ]
Should read Protune off.
Adventurer

[ New ]

UNSTABLE  CAMERA:44GoPro had this issue with Quick Capture  certain  lotts  not all so they push out  camera's without doing inspection and this is what you  get.

DEFAULT the camera it drais, Send it back. a Defaulted camera is QUick capture On

Tourist

[ New ]
Quick Capture is Off. I never use it.
Awaiting response from GOPRO help.
Hiker

[ New ]
PN: 601-10197-000
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues Hi Konstantin.

[ New ]

It seems, and I have only now realised that the Part Number you referenced is the Vietnamese manufactured Genuine Gopro Battery. Are these made by Samsung?? and do you have a link to that information Please?

Best Regards

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, it is made by Samsung.

Battery writes Samsung on it's body.

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, it is made by Samsung.

Battery writes Samsung on it's body.

@harry49 wrote:

It seems, and I have only now realised that the Part Number you referenced is the Vietnamese manufactured Genuine Gopro Battery. Are these made by Samsung?? and do you have a link to that information Please?

Best Regards

Tourist

[ New ]
Konstantin, Thank you. Will check mine.
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks again Konstantine. Found it on the Batteries.

Small print and old eyes dont go well together LOL

Hiker

[ New ]
Hola

Ya todo el mundo soluciono el drenaje ? como lo hicieron ??

Saludos
Hiker

[ New ]

guys, i have no idea.. battery drain has became the last of my problems. i got my THIRD gopro and it still glitches and freezes.. i lost some footage because the screen went black before recording and i had the head mount with beep on. it beeped but then nothing... then it glitched while browsing the gallery. then the camera went completely black with red lights stuck... i don't even know. i have lost all the energies and i'm waiting to contact the support AGAIN. i'm scared to get another one that is even worse... how is this even possible...

sorry for the off topic and the rant

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @mirkog113

Sorry to hear about your experience. Did your replacement cameras come from GoPro directly? If you already have a case with Support regarding the glitches and other issues that you are observing in the camera, it would be best to continue working with them so they are able to assist you better. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya i bought it from a local retailer in italy, then the other 2 replacement from official gopro support. i have a number case with an endless amount of chat logs... i bought other sd cards. now i have 2 32gb sandisk that are on the official gopro compatibility list. but i need a gopro for my imminent vacation so even if i could get another replacement i prefer to wait since i don't want to risk not having a camera or getting a worse one (like my first official replacement, the camera constantly froze even without sd card...) i'll probably try chatting more after my vacation. i'm really sad about all this. i must be really unlucky :/

Hiker

[ New ]
@mariusstanya send back the GoPro for ever and buy a DJI. Today is still Amazon Prime day. You will not regret!!!