Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

[ New ]
Hi fishycomics. Nice video. You may be on to something. In my testing so far, I have tried to keep the procedure as simple as possible, not using the phone App. I will now give that a try. thank you
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi fishycomics. Looked at your video quite a few times. In my case, my H7black in camera is set to N/A for "wake on call" when voice activation is ON. When I connect to the App, turning Voice activation ON in the App automatically turns ON "wake on call" in App and in Camera. At this point whatever I do in App is mirrored in camera and Vis Versa. If I turn OFF voice control at the camera it turns Off in App and control of "voice on wake" disappears. This is reflected in camera by "voice on wake" showing N/A. In addition, it is possible in App to have "voice control" ON and wake on call OFF This is also reflected in camera. Very confusing, but I hope I got your meaning??
Adventurer

[ New ]

Two words "Unstable Firmware"  Two words "A Fix" One word.   our teams are looking into it. I said one word:

With the App all I did was     voice  command on camera was off Lol  so I took it a step further. and careful using words.  sure enough I got the camera to wake up with it  being Masked in the Wake on OFF

@jefft   and Team pass this no  EVERYNE make a video please and simply show.  can not hurt  but help.

Now I got two cameras  with issues thanks gopro ofall the cameras I owned.

Hero 5 black issue, Hero 6 black issue hero 5 session issue, hero 5 session issue, hero 7 black issue, hero 7  black issue,

sorry I lost count on the  issues 

$2500.00  in issues boo hoo hoo not crying have to let people know (sarcasm)

Adventurer

[ New ]

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Wake-on-or-off-and-why/m-p/347588/highlight/false#/M97523

had to make a post and  document it here I bet  zippo goes there 

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi fishycomics.
What is the rate of battery drain when wake On is in the masked position?
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi mirkogg113
You say your battery drains at a rate of 1% every 1.5 hours. That is 16% every 24 hours. If you have everything turned off or minimised with no SD Card installed and you have the latest firmware installed. I would suggest it is faulty. Others report their rate of drain in the region of 2 to 6% over 24hrs.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi mirkogg113.
I am assuming you have done as Jefft advises. Only then is anything conclusive. My comment regarding it being faulty is also conditional on his advice being tested.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi fishycomics.
Gotcha. No matter how you do it. Ensure "Voice Control" is OFF, in addition the "Voice on Wake" must be in N/A mode. This will ensure the battery can't drain due to "voice activation" correct??
Tourist

[ New ]
Mirkogg113.
There are two issues here. 1. is high drain due to modes possibly left active or not optimised to increase battery life.
2.Battery charge collapse, draining the charge over a relatively short period. I am becoming convinced they are separate issues.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi mirkogg113
I am happy to report back my findings. But, may be pointless for you, unless you have followed @jefft advice.
Adventurer

[ New ]

I do not use  the Voice Command . so  i do not know what the actual drain is. I know Gopro  marked on a page in the manual it is a 8 hour use no more Many of us do not bother wit hreading a manual  Lol.

I   using my camera's and when I open them up the next day  I see no drain. percent will not hurt but  10% will.  and I got that on other company camera's.  when I have time i shapp Livestream wake on one day but you all have that option to see the drain.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Just two hours in at 99%  due to the camera coming on with other words   I will check in  later  this is a LIVE STREAM of Wake On sure it can run for 8 hours per Page 51 of the manual two hours in

Adventurer

[ New ]

Well like anything in Life Youtube crashed on me Lol  I al learning that Wake on  does not drain the battery   3 plus hours later with two turn ons or so  I was at 99%  so if I come back tonight and recheck the camera  then  what percentage should I be at, and how bout tomorrow in the MA.   

Hiker

[ New ]
@harry49 I did as @jefft said. When I do not remove and reinsert the battery I always get some drain (around 1% every 1,5h) if I remove and reinsert, the drain seem to stop. I double checked via app and via camera, and everything but quick capture is off. I'm now testing with another original battery but since the camera was warm during the huge drains, I do not think it's the battery. Gonna report the results, but the drain to 0% seems to happen randomly.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Well youtube crashed for me it  still is recovering so  Livestream stopped.  I see  Wake On as standby does not put a drain on  the camera  does not even use    that much power why I thought it did.   

Page 51 of a Manual it sayd  8 hours of use so that ment it wil ldrain in 8 hours. I think it meant it will TURN OFF in 8 hours time.  

I could care less of it why VOICE COMMAND  will do whatever the Hell it wants  watching a video the sucker turend on  and recorded LMEAO!

so I will chaulk again  "Unstable Firmware".

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi Fishycomics.
Like you, I do not use Voice Command either. My read on it though, is that if it and "wake on" are in fact turned ON. They will remain turned on, listening for a voice command, for 8 hours, after which it will turn off. I would be curious to find out how much drain this imposes on the battery over that 8 hr period. It looks like you may have the kit to do that. GOPRO mantra is to always "turn OFF voice Activation" lest it contribute to excess battery drain.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi mirkogg113,
How sure are you of the rate of battery drain?? 1%/1.5hrs is very high. In fact, it's about 16% / 24hrs. I can't say for sure if a fault is present cos you don't say what you have done to minimise drain.
Adventurer

[ New ]

This is what I am going t o do right now 7:30 EST 90%  wireless connecton ON Wake on ON All set up with a External Promic    the mic gain  cable to ZERO.      said commands 5 times,  at 90% the camera is OFF.

No way this camera can wake up unless I  raise the gain

I shall check it Tomorrow     and see where the camera stands.   and how much drain.

GoPro hero 7 Black FW 1,51  

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi mirkogg113.
As I mentioned before. If you are testing, turn everything off and reduce settings which might use power when off. Go through your menu and turn stuff off or reduce as much as possible. Eg led screen is a big power user. Reduce that to 10% or so, gps off etc Go through it all. Remove SD Card. Put a full battery in, record date and time. Check every 24hrs. Record and continue until battery is depleted, recording results daily. Boring yes, but it's the only way.
Tourist

[ New ]
Are you still on firmware 1.51? Thanks latest is ver. 1.71??
Tourist

[ New ]

Just get the DJI OSMO Action. With all features enabled and the camera turned off, the battery was still 100% after a week. I returned my Hero 7 to Best Buy several weeks ago. The battery issues were just to ridiculous.

Adventurer

[ New ]

For me. I kept with FW 1.51  factory installed/ I do not have a Battery drain issue at all.  go figure testing  to help out/   Yep  let us know how you like th DJI Osmo Action.  love to heat...

Hiker

[ New ]

@harry49 wrote:
Hi mirkogg113.
As I mentioned before. If you are testing, turn everything off and reduce settings which might use power when off. Go through your menu and turn stuff off or reduce as much as possible. Eg led screen is a big power user. Reduce that to 10% or so, gps off etc Go through it all. Remove SD Card. Put a full battery in, record date and time. Check every 24hrs. Record and continue until battery is depleted, recording results daily. Boring yes, but it's the only way.

hello, i did everything right after i got it. all the functions are always off because i don't even use them. only quick capture is on. updated manually, did a camera reset. sd card formatted. tested with and without sd. did multiple battery cycles (recording@1080p60fps with 3 leds on, all my batteries do 1h50mins of recording). and i'm keeping track every 8 hours or so. last time was this morning after 11 hours. the battery (a new one) went from 89% to 84%. i'm waiting to see if i get another huge drain like the other 3 times it happened from 50% to 0% in 8 or less hours. i guess i need to understand if it's a faulty battery or the camera, but as i said, the camera was warm with the quick depleates, so i don't know..

(official support told me that can be considered normal even a drop of 1% every 1,5 hours...)

Adventurer

[ New ]

Here I will pop on Live with what I did set up last night already 12 hours in, more then enough time, why not add another 4 plus hours to the Fuel right?    

1 QC always on2 Wireless connection left ON3 Voice command On. English4 Wake on Voi e ON5 Hypersmooth On6 AUto Low Light On7 video settings 2k7@60 Linear8 External Promic adapter  Plugged in with Saramonic XM-R1 Mic and a 6 ft mic gain/volum cable  turned to Zero to prevent  wake on from accendantally turning on9GPS uncertain if On as it fails to work for me in editor of Quick.  This list can go on till I list it all (lol)

If I do not have a drain on this from  the last post or two noted   what more can I say..

I kind of know my  answer.

Left at 90% I will give the camera the benefit of the doubt of 89%   from 7:30PM last nighy, and I bet I am  in the 80%  mark say 85%

lets hope Youtube and  my render do not crash again Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J89O3eYdMQ

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Hiker

[ New ]
I contacted support again via chat. They told me that 1% every 1.5h is to consider normal. About the drain from 50% to 0 in 8h they told me to charge directly via Wall outlet to the camera... I don't know what will be the difference (I always use the original gopro dual charger with a 5v 2.4a anker wall charger) but they said that will help isolate the problem. But also that it's not the battery since the recording tests are fine (1,50hours of recording @1080p 60 fps) so it's the camera? No they say. We need to investigate further... I don't know what to say.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, I dont know if you have read any of my earlier posts I have had several instances of the camera mis reporting charge levels

turn it off then on again to see if the level changes be interesting to see if yours does this too

cheers,Brent

Hiker

[ New ]

@brentb57153 wrote:

Hi, I dont know if you have read any of my earlier posts I have had several instances of the camera mis reporting charge levels

turn it off then on again to see if the level changes be interesting to see if yours does this too

cheers,Brent

mine does not with original batteries. it did read wrongly with telesin, but it was like: camera on: 85%, 2 sec later: 64%, 2 sec later: 48%, 2 sec later 24% (the real charge)

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, well I was getting this with original batteries not the chinese ones the best one was 1% charge left but then it said 99% charged

Cheers,Brent

Adventurer

[ New ]

1% loss per  hour when Bat is 50% or less:

the camer will work Normal if above 50%, this is what is being said?   with  a drain of just the camera at DEFAULT by Factory???? forget all other settings.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi fishycomics.
Is this drain a result of your test with "voice activation" and "wake on" ON. And camera turned OFF.
Tourist

[ New ]
Mirkogg113.
My first H7b drained very quickly, and randomly from about 60%. If it's doing so randomly, ITS FAULTY.
Adventurer

[ New ]

@harry49 wrote:
Hi fishycomics.
Is this drain a result of your test with "voice activation" and "wake on" ON. And camera turned OFF.

No   I was asking  this is what  a Poster  got info from the rep that  your issue is due to  having the battery lower then 50% kind of asking  and wanting confirmantion I am going to Livestream  as posted above the page  b4 this

Hiker

[ New ]

looks like a challenge to get it replaced. i'll try to use the plus program to get a new one. if it's not the battery it's for sure the camera...

Adventurer

[ New ]

13 hours plus later  90% to 78% with Wireless On and wake on voice.

As GoPro i lives up to their Name   Not sure why a select  few are with Issues.  Maybe GoPro would  call you into their office  fly you personally in and     you can then  sit with them to   show them the issue.

a  pictue speaks, or a video speaks louder then words. How many of you in here  can take a  video of your issue. 1?

no offense  or insult  not sure what else   we can do to  get yours resolved.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi fishycomics
Thanks. I wasn't sure.. If this was an outcome of your testing or not.
Tourist

[ New ]
HI fishycomics. Sorry, am unable to help with video. Comment. Very sad and unreasonable to hear of mirkogg113 response from Gopro. Others, have received a much more favourable reception, when referencing random failure of battery drain.
Tourist

[ New ]
Fishycomics. Following your battery drain testing with Voice on, Wake on,. Will you follow up with a test to confirm less drain with Voice off, Wake NA??
Adventurer

[ New ]

charging it right now when done I will  unplug and  have  zero loss  for tomorrow.  that be a 12 hour plus  rest no cable plugged in.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks fishycomics. Guessing you are charging in camera. Unplug then sit for 12hrs yes?
Adventurer

[ New ]

its 6:30 Am about 11 hours in.   or should I let sit longer?

Tourist

[ New ]
Fishycomics,
Let it sit, what's the rush. 😁
Be interesting if you get below 50% see if you get rapid depletion.
Adventurer

[ New ]

sat for days never did so I see no point for me. lol  

Tourist

[ New ]
No probs fishy
Adventurer

[ New ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTbMhXOHES4&t=1s

just watched this clip no word of any battery drain ,  Off topic

UPDATES HAS BEEN MADE VIA FIRMWARE! - Updated video https://youtu.be/gVtr5cwPaxoSkillshare - https://skl.sh/potatojet8Shop DJI Osmo Action - https://geni.us/...
Explorer

[ New ]
Is there a way to unsubscribe to a thread?

I don't have battery drain issues. Actually, I really don't know if I do or don't and really don't care. I actually use my camera, and often at that. Once I'm done, I charge the battery. I use the dual charger, so I leave the battery out of the camera until I'm ready to use it. Sometimes, if it's been a few days, I'll plug the dual charger in and the lights will come up amber/yellow so I let it charge until the lights turn green. And then, well then I go out and USE the camera.

HERO7 Black has been an amazing camera for me. I have captured some very important moments and the image looks great. Honestly, this craziness of running test after test, letting the camera sit for X number of days, do this, turn off that,.... Just go out and use the camera.

I have pretty much everything but Wake to Voice turned on and the camera works fine. The battery life isn't great, and is certainly less than the older GoPro cameras, but if I keep the clips short and use Quik Capture, I can get a full days use. Sometimes, if I'm doing a lot of recording or leave the camera on, I'll use two batteries in a day. But that's fine. I have GoPro Plus and the extra batteries cost me less than $10. The moments I've captured, priceless.

So please, either help me figure out how to unsubscribe to this thread or start a group for all of your testing and back and forth chatter. You can set up a group here. https://community.gopro.com/t5/groups/page/node-id/category%3A131

Thanks.
Hiker

[ New ]
If I test removing and reinserting the battery, I have no drain at all. With battery inserted... As I already said. I'm still testing. As for now no other complete drains
Explorer

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi danielr15. Sounds like you have it nailed. Can't help with how to unsubscribe.
Hiker

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
Is there a way to unsubscribe to a thread?

I don't have battery drain issues. Actually, I really don't know if I do or don't and really don't care. I actually use my camera, and often at that. Once I'm done, I charge the battery. I use the dual charger, so I leave the battery out of the camera until I'm ready to use it. Sometimes, if it's been a few days, I'll plug the dual charger in and the lights will come up amber/yellow so I let it charge until the lights turn green. And then, well then I go out and USE the camera.

HERO7 Black has been an amazing camera for me. I have captured some very important moments and the image looks great. Honestly, this craziness of running test after test, letting the camera sit for X number of days, do this, turn off that,.... Just go out and use the camera.

I have pretty much everything but Wake to Voice turned on and the camera works fine. The battery life isn't great, and is certainly less than the older GoPro cameras, but if I keep the clips short and use Quik Capture, I can get a full days use. Sometimes, if I'm doing a lot of recording or leave the camera on, I'll use two batteries in a day. But that's fine. I have GoPro Plus and the extra batteries cost me less than $10. The moments I've captured, priceless.

So please, either help me figure out how to unsubscribe to this thread or start a group for all of your testing and back and forth chatter. You can set up a group here. https://community.gopro.com/t5/groups/page/node-id/category%3A131

Thanks.

that's the "problem" (or the solution) you don't keep the battery in camera. i want to use the camera, but i can't because the battery drains like crazy. and it drains to 0!. if i want to use it i can't stay all the time removing it because i might go for a hike for several hours and find out my battery is depleated just by leaving it on camera.. that's bull***t.

it's not about testing and testing. it's about testing trying to understand why the hell it is behaiving like that. i can have a full drain in few hours while not using it. and this is not acceptable to me

anyway, you can unsubscribe easily. look at my attached image

uns.jpg
Adventurer

[ New ]

last vid.  testing .  test done  like @danielr15    said     I get to gopro send the camera in  get it resolved . today I go out with 100% an hours worth of recording time or LESS