Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

Hi mirkogg113.
As I mentioned before. If you are testing, turn everything off and reduce settings which might use power when off. Go through your menu and turn stuff off or reduce as much as possible. Eg led screen is a big power user. Reduce that to 10% or so, gps off etc Go through it all. Remove SD Card. Put a full battery in, record date and time. Check every 24hrs. Record and continue until battery is depleted, recording results daily. Boring yes, but it's the only way.
Highlighted
Tourist

Are you still on firmware 1.51? Thanks latest is ver. 1.71??
Highlighted
Tourist

Just get the DJI OSMO Action. With all features enabled and the camera turned off, the battery was still 100% after a week. I returned my Hero 7 to Best Buy several weeks ago. The battery issues were just to ridiculous.

Highlighted
Adventurer

For me. I kept with FW 1.51  factory installed/ I do not have a Battery drain issue at all.  go figure testing  to help out/   Yep  let us know how you like th DJI Osmo Action.  love to heat...

Highlighted
Hiker

@harry49 wrote:
Hi mirkogg113.
As I mentioned before. If you are testing, turn everything off and reduce settings which might use power when off. Go through your menu and turn stuff off or reduce as much as possible. Eg led screen is a big power user. Reduce that to 10% or so, gps off etc Go through it all. Remove SD Card. Put a full battery in, record date and time. Check every 24hrs. Record and continue until battery is depleted, recording results daily. Boring yes, but it's the only way.

hello, i did everything right after i got it. all the functions are always off because i don't even use them. only quick capture is on. updated manually, did a camera reset. sd card formatted. tested with and without sd. did multiple battery cycles (recording@1080p60fps with 3 leds on, all my batteries do 1h50mins of recording). and i'm keeping track every 8 hours or so. last time was this morning after 11 hours. the battery (a new one) went from 89% to 84%. i'm waiting to see if i get another huge drain like the other 3 times it happened from 50% to 0% in 8 or less hours. i guess i need to understand if it's a faulty battery or the camera, but as i said, the camera was warm with the quick depleates, so i don't know..

(official support told me that can be considered normal even a drop of 1% every 1,5 hours...)

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Here I will pop on Live with what I did set up last night already 12 hours in, more then enough time, why not add another 4 plus hours to the Fuel right?    

1 QC always on2 Wireless connection left ON3 Voice command On. English4 Wake on Voi e ON5 Hypersmooth On6 AUto Low Light On7 video settings 2k7@60 Linear8 External Promic adapter  Plugged in with Saramonic XM-R1 Mic and a 6 ft mic gain/volum cable  turned to Zero to prevent  wake on from accendantally turning on9GPS uncertain if On as it fails to work for me in editor of Quick.  This list can go on till I list it all (lol)

If I do not have a drain on this from  the last post or two noted   what more can I say..

I kind of know my  answer.

Left at 90% I will give the camera the benefit of the doubt of 89%   from 7:30PM last nighy, and I bet I am  in the 80%  mark say 85%

lets hope Youtube and  my render do not crash again Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J89O3eYdMQ

Highlighted
Hiker

I contacted support again via chat. They told me that 1% every 1.5h is to consider normal. About the drain from 50% to 0 in 8h they told me to charge directly via Wall outlet to the camera... I don't know what will be the difference (I always use the original gopro dual charger with a 5v 2.4a anker wall charger) but they said that will help isolate the problem. But also that it's not the battery since the recording tests are fine (1,50hours of recording @1080p 60 fps) so it's the camera? No they say. We need to investigate further... I don't know what to say.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, I dont know if you have read any of my earlier posts I have had several instances of the camera mis reporting charge levels

turn it off then on again to see if the level changes be interesting to see if yours does this too

cheers,Brent