Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

@mirkog113 - If you're seeing this with a brand new battery, let the battery cycle a few times. That will allow the battery to calibrate and you shouldn't see such large fluctuations after that.

If you see this issue after the battery has been cycled a few times, it is possible that the camera is not turning off completely, but is staying on in standby mode. Doing a manual update on the firmware is a good first step, but you'll also want to make sure that you're not putting the camera into standby mode. When turning off the camera, hold down the Mode button until you see the red LED lights blink. The camera will power off within a couple of seconds after that.

If you want to be 100% sure, after you've turned off the camera, pop the battery out for a couple of seconds and then put it back in. That will make sure that the camera is off.

If you still see issues after trying on all of these steps, our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs will be glad to do troubleshooting with you to get this worked out.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Wake on voice command ( keeps wifi on) that would be Standby mode. if we can get  a clear  post on where stand by mode is at, that would help all out?  (smiles)

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi jefft

My testing has been performed with new batteries which have been cycled a significant number of times, ensuring their function is as stable as they could be.

Mention has been made on many occasions to be cautious of leaving the camera in "standby mode"

I have interrogated the downloadable owner manual for the H7 Black and the only reference I can guess is regarding the actuation of voice command. This leaves the camera in a ready state which is awaiting activation by the owners voice command.  Is this what Go pro refer to as "standby mode?"

Highlighted
Tourist

@jefft wrote:

When turning off the camera, hold down the Mode button until you see the red LED lights blink.

mine doesnt do this.

i get the beeps then i stop pressing the button then it goes off straight away, but some times it stays on for a few extra seconds then goes off.

Highlighted
Tourist

Have you got your LEDs turned on??
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@jefftthanks. Right after I unboxed it, I was prompted with update via Android app. Then I re flashed manually via SD card. I always shut down the camera with long press of side button, wait for led blinking and screen turn off. I always get drain of 1% every 1hour and half circa. I contacted the official support and they told me that this is normal. The only real solution is to remove the battery. Or remove and reinsert it...

What do you guys think? You experience the same behavior? 

Highlighted
Adventurer

Stand By:   is Wake On  wake On will deplete teh GoPro battery. found in the Hero 7 Black manua I turn it off when not using the camera and also Voice command  , why both because the Wake on turns N/A and that ensures me it's Off. and not on Stand By

Highlighted
Hiker

@fishycomics do you men the option that allow to record pressing the rec button while the camera is off? I have only that always selected