Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

@agileshore17411 wrote:

I got my 3th replacement for my Hero 7 White, still the same problem about battery drain when camera is off and everything turned off. Switching or removing sd-card doesn't solve the problem. Last night I made last test and battery went from 100% to 70% in just 6 hours when everything were off! I will probably return also this camera to get the new Osmo. It's a shame that GoPro is not able to fix the problem since I'm sure that it's a software issue and not an hardware issue.

Hero white   get a Osmo that is a good move iif asked but if a hero 7 black for a osmo well not so good.

My bat drained  I was only shooting 2k7 and maybe 10 clips Lol. sucks when that happens  Power consuming gopro if asked sucks bat life

Highlighted
Tourist

@harry49 wrote:
Travis. You say H7b battery use is higher (than what for Comparison)

Cheers

the Chinese battery that came with the camera kit.

what looks to me has a higher discharge rate while the camera is switched off (roughly 2 to 5 % over 8 hours) then the non Chinese battery i bought.

both batteries are genuine gopro, the other battery is made in Vietnam. so they are supplying, with the cameras, defective batteries.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have 2 Vietnam made batteries. 1 delivered with H7black and one bought at some time as spare. Today on continuing with my daily check found the battery in the H7BLACK was dead. Yesterday it was 57percent. In summary, that battery ran for 8 days in the cam. No SD, everything off. Zero use except turning on and off to check and record. Daily rates of power decline ranges from 4% to 10%. Both batteries are prone to random discharge to zero. In comparison to H7silver, it's rate of discharge is lower at 2% to 5% per day until consumed at around 24 days. Much better that H7Black bats. Furthermore, 3rd party Wasabi bats lasted 18 days in H7BLACK. However, at about 50% discharge daily losses became more variable. In some cases greater than 15% / day. All batteries were very sensitive to cold. Warming them and refitting in the cam often increased remaining power up to 10%. In my opinion, this is unacceptable. Not only because of intermittent battery drain, but random total lot of power.
GOPRO. PLEASE STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND FIX THE POWER DRAIN ISSUE WITH CAMERA/S both my H7 Black and Silver. PLEASE REPLACE WHAT I NOW BELIEVE ARE FAULTY BATTERIES. Your surely must now have enough evidence internationally to do something about the camera and batteries. MY CAMERAS and Batteries are BRAND NEW except for these tests and a few test videos to affirm I don't have a lemon. I am in Australia so have no idea how to get some ACTION from you. I'm pretty much done with the brand, because of your inaction.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi I had already conducted similar tests,whay you also need to do is charge these same batterys to 100% and leave them out of the camera for 20 days just sitting and check charge level at the 20 days I'll think you will find considerably more than what the prior tests showed as I have stated over and over the camera does not report the correct battery levels anyway next time you turn on  and see a level turn it off then on and it may or may not show a different level as this seems random like the drain issue as well

Cheers,Brent

Highlighted
Tourist

Have also done a similar test and not identified any battery loss when left on the shelf for 20 plus days. Put in the cam and down it goes. Random discharge to zero is NOT acceptable.
Highlighted
Tourist

Just a note really. Wasabi batteries use Japanese lithium vs the stuff from China or Vietnam. At least, that what they market. They seem more stable with less drop in power until about 55% to 60% then decrease at a higher rate. I haven't had one degrade to zero overnight yet.
Highlighted
Tourist

Update kudos to Gopro in Oz. Reported my difficulties and the level of trouble shooting to them. They supplied a case number and written recommendation to enable replacement of my H7black. The replacement was NOT on the basis of regular battery drain, but overnight, intermittent complete consumption to zero. So, now we start again. More testing.
Highlighted
Tourist

First observation. The version number is 01.61. What month, year was that? This cam was new stock in my dealer.