Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

Hi, I actually did.  I think in summary, there are 2 problems here.

- one is that the battery has their own issue and inconsistency.

- two is that the camera itself has bug that drains the battery or in your case, mis-interpreting the battery charges.

When mine is dead, it's dead and takes a long time to charge back up.

And good luck getting any sort of meaningful or useful replies from GoPro themselves directly.  I am just as frustrated as you in this.

Cheers.

Highlighted
Adventurer

This is the Made in China Battery  chip, what are your thoughts if this can be  maybe an issue or not?

IMG_2347.JPG

Highlighted
Tourist

I am no electrical engineer and I certainly can't tell based on just a pic.  :)  My personal humble opinion/thought on the batteries themselves (from my experience with RC) are that the China batteries have worse (higher) internal resistance than the Vietnamese batteries besides the worse quality control.  That would explain some of the slow drain and inconsistence performances of these batteries.  However, where that resistance comes from though I have no idea.  It might be the cells themselves or from the chip.  I will let the expert chime in on that.  I haven't taken apart one to really measure them outside the chips.  My V batteries are working perfectly and I am not going to destroy these remaining good ones just for a test for GoPro's sake.  And it's kinda meaningless to take an old one apart when it's worn out through use because the IR would be on the high side as that's how batteries die.  Anyway, my 2 cents.  Cheers.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the fast input, going to think over the weekend if return or live with it. I still find this quite unacceptable. Company that is known being the "best action cameras" makes millions, but cant even take the time to address problems that their newest flagship has. 

I find it weard that the battery would get better at certain point, but if you have tested it I have to take your word for it. Just came home after 8h workday and the battery is 87% from the 100% I had when I left to work. Robot tongue fml

EDIT: Both of my batteries are from Vietnam, if that matters to anyone....like gopro that actually should fix this :)

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Can't coment here dont have China batteries.  Consideringcurrent issues with the battery drain  being related to the camera itself I suspect this issue to be related to firmware and internal hardware opperation of the camera only noted this issue twice so far

but I ask that others when they notice an abnormal drop to turn off then on to see if they get a different percentage

Cheers,Brent

Highlighted
Adventurer

the  bat  chip  is  to show..   the latter hero 5  they used  only gopro bats and when anotehr cmpnaies bat went in it was blocked.   So anything can be possible that gopro has  an unstable firmware, and in order  for the camera to work maybe you HAVE TO contact gopro and have them mail you  a fresh firmware,  then the one posted at the website.  who knows. I more or less  d onot have a drain but can  at given times wake up wit ha dead battery because I  forgot a setting.  I also know that my hero 5 with quick capture off drains the bat in hours. and  it is the camera, not the firmwar.  so each camera is different.  that said  hope one day we all have a perfect model.

Highlighted
Tourist

I was very skeptical about the C batteries improving but other posted it and so I gave GoPro the benefit of the doubt.  2 of my 3 did improved so obviously it's not going to help in all cases.  They are still not as good as the V batteries in terms of holding their charges when they are in storage.  My 7 V batteries can go about 2 weeks without dropping a single percent.

I am not happy with the C batteries but at this point, there is really nothing to discuss about them and nothing can be done about them either so I learned to live with their behavior.  But at least they behave consistantly and I know what to expect.

However, as other have posted, the unexpected, random drain/depletion is something that GoPro really need to address.  I agree with @brentb57153 and many other posters that this is related to firmware and internal hardware.  I have this happened 6x (3 on each of my 2 H7) already between October and now.  Given the random nature of this, I am leaning more towards software/firmware issue where they are not exiting/shutting off properly when certain condition is met.  Cheers.

Cheers.

Highlighted
Nomad

TO THE GOPRO COMPANY.

IT IS TIME TO ACT AND DO SEOMETHING!

IF YOU SEE THIS THREAD, IT KEEPS ON GOING AND YOU GUYS DO NOT RESPOND ANYMORE.

SELLING THE HERO7 AS THE BEST CAMERA EVER? IF YOU ALL READ THIS, IT IS THE WORST!

COME WITH A SOLUTION PLEASE!