Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

One way the camera will let you know that the card needs formatting is by increased battery drain as the camera continues to scan the SD card. Formatting in the camera only deletes the look up table that identifies where files are, the size and their segments. Full formats (done in your computer) should be done periodically but not every time.

Full formats clear and checks for errors. If you have a bad segment, sure, you'll be notified by SD card error, camera freeze, battery drain, lost media because it cannot properly close, file repair attempts by the camera, etc,. 32 & 64 GB cards are the most appropriate for these cameras. Samsung Evo Select 64 GB cost about $11. If you're spending more than $20 on a card you are wasting money unnecessarily. If you are not taking steps to ensure the best experience with your camera, you're going to end up wasting moments you could have captured. 365 days in a year. Even if you did a full format every day (camera format doesn't count toward the card's write cycle as it's only deleting one small file), your card would last 5-10 years.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, A good brand name reliable SD card will cost  in my case genuine samsung EVO PLUS 64 Gig $38 NZ 128 GIG $59 on a super special

I wish we could buy them for the prices you can but  we can't normal prices for those cards would be 69 ish and 120ish

did I not mention in one of my earliest posts of removing files once you have finished recording session if there are no files on the card the camera will not scan the sd card  and infact souuld not be scanning the card while it is suposedly turned off any way

in the short period I have been using this camera I have encountered no sd card errors or corrupt files generated by the hero 7

battery life whilst actually recording has been good the only random battery drain encountered is whilst turned off  any sd card scan should normally be done by camera at startup or shutdown which could acount for drain if there was an error on the card and since there were none in my case with the 2 random total drains I encountered and there was no hesitation in shutdown at that time either

my suggestion to remove all media from the SD card was a suggestion to see if it made a difference and as you know the more files you have on a card performance will suffer due to slowdown whilst recording video and a card with thousands of files can become corrupted easily if a file is not written correctly due to a full card file table corruption etcWe all know there is a fault what causes it we dont really know but suspect it is  related to the shutdown of the camera or failure to do so correctly I think we at least agree on that

Cheers,Brent

Highlighted
Hiker

I did a bit of recording yesterday, after a full charge, and formatting the sdcards in my pc, then once in the camera. So far so good no shutdown issues. I'll continue over the next few days. I do have two sdcards that are the same brand (sandisk), size (64gb), and speed(V30), so I'll swap over to the second one later in the week...

I also have a Lexar 633x, 64gb, C10. I wonder if it will work successfully in the camera?
Highlighted
Explorer

@grumpymrbear
Be sure to mark your SanDisk cards. I've numbered mine with a permanent pen. I have one SanDisk Extreme v30 that consistently causes freezing after about 20 minutes of use.

The Lexar 633X is a good card, but only designed for 1080p video. They are the cards the GoPro media team used up until HERO4/5 (They still used them with HERO4 but mostly with 2.7K & 1080p). I'm not positive which card they used with the HERO5 but I think it was the Lexar 1000x.

I used to use 633x exclusively with my HERO3 & 3+ because I had so many issues with SanDisk cards. I pretty much started on this forum as someone complaining about cameras issues until I switched away from SanDisk and started using Lexar. Unfortunately, one of my Lexar 633x started giving me issues so I switched to Samsung Pro and Pro+.

With the HERO6 Black I tried the SanDisk v30 and they worked so good I started buying and recommending them. Now that one of the five in using has issues, I've decided to just stick with Samsung (Currently using Samsung Evo Select without issues). 20% failure rate with SanDisk and the countless post I've seen here from people using SanDisk had me back on the ban SanDisk wagon.
Highlighted
Hiker

Cool thanks for the tips :-)
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, Yer well Bitten by the flat battery issue again t hat is 3 battery cycles gone now getting sick of it actually just another random occurance ! looks like  Go Pro  are taking their time with this oneNot happy been fine for 3 weeks or so then out of the blue 0% but obviously enough juice to turn it on still but due to my issue yesterday with the wierd reporting of power levels what should I believe ?

Cheers,Brent

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Again well  reported flat battery is it flat  well here is an example of the camera reporting a flat battery at 0% well I put it in the charger when i posted my last message it is now fully charged a flat battery dosen't charge that fast  so are they actually flat when the camera says they are I think not like yesterday said 87% turned it off then on it said 100% got me anyone else found this as well

cheers,Brent

Highlighted
Sightseer

My H7 keeps dropping battery %. One time it was on 80%, recorded for a couple of minutes, then 24hrs later I wanted to record something and it was flat, would not turn on. I had to use my phone camera.

Two other times it was 100%. Over a day I recorded about five 30s clips, then would not turn on, flat again. It was on a trail run, so I got the start, and some of the track, but missed recording the finish - annoying.

All using 1080p, manual firmware update 1.7, 64GB class 10 Samsung EVO plus memory card, weather temperature about 18 degree celcius, using original USB charging cable plugged into computer and left overnight to charge.

Any advice ?

Martin