Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Betreff: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

After going through all of the posts in the last few days I tried out the format the sd card in the camera to make sure it was empty. Fully charged the gopro and then left overnight, after making sure it was charged to 100% (which it was). Wheh shutting down I noticed that the camera to a little longer to shut down, but descided to not pull out the battery. Low and behold this morning the camera was warm and battery fully discharged :-(

I'm going to take out the sd card and repeat the experiment....

Interstingly on a different thread (https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-7-battery-drain/td-p/243008/page/10) I just saw this, by @lonnieb :

<snip>

Im on my 3rd replacement in less than a month! Constant calling and speaking to customer support, and getting the same BS questions and wanting to do battery tests! Finally, after speaking with a customer support supervisor, they admitted its a known issue! Geee thanks!..

They are hoping for another software update that should fix the issue
</sip>

Highlighted
Hiker

I used QC all the time on my HERO 6 and never recall experiencing the battery drain issue... A few lock ups yes, but not a battery drain issue.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@brentb57153All my batteries are labeled.  I have 3 china made one and 7 vietnamese ones.  2 of my china one would lose about 1% every other day now, the 3rd china one would lose about 2% each day not plugged in.  While all 7 of my vietnamese ones would hold 100% for over a week.  I have done enough experiment with excel charts to track their individual behaviors.  How the batteries holding charge is not the issue here.  It's the camera draining/depleting the battery that we want to find a solution for.

@grumpymrbearI have the same experience as you on the H6, hangup/freeze but never battery depletion.  Interesting you found the correlation.  I am gonna try to repeat that myself too and see/report back.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

Did you chose any allocation size? Looks like the GoPro is using 128KB. I will see if it changes back to 128 when I format it now with 256 on Windows and reformat it inside the GoPro.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, Exactly ,but it does prove all batteries are not created equally same is true for Go Pro Hero 7 Black vs the rest of the range I'll do a little rant here too Why is there a time lapse function and a night lapse function when Timelapse could have covered everything with twice the number of user seiiings pointless I dont want one shot long exposure every 20 secs or more I want to be able to specify what i want

Cheers

Highlighted
Tourist

All my cards are formatted by the devices.  I work in the software field so I know not to format it with other devices and then use it else where just to be safe.  I also reformat the cards after each manual update to be sure everything is cleaned up and there are no residual system type files on there.  Which makes it very interesting if this drainage problem turns out to be related to the interfacing between the GoPro and the sd card.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, did I not just mention every device uses its own format and file system windows has lots of options when it comes to format for media

gopro has its own as does my panasonic so does your phone

format your sd card in its own device thats it

cheers

Highlighted
Tourist

Perhaps its a language barrier.  All my cards are formatted by their own respective devices.  I do not cross them in any way.  So I am not sure what you are trying to get at.