Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

Have you managed to find any correlations wrt any similarities between people that do have issues....
As I indicated in a post earlier on, pulling the battery out after shutting down the camera does prove to be a workaround. Even though I raised an issue through the support form you highlighted earlier on. To date I have not heard anything from either support about possible solutions or asking further questions / test scenarios.
Hiker

Did you change anything other settings since you got your new camera?
Highlighted
Tourist

I think a lot of you are on the right track. The problem seems to be related to a failure of the shutdown programming, perhaps during an integrity check of the SD card. Of course, pulling the battery halts the processor and overcomes any hang or infinite loop in the shutdown sequence, but it’s a terribly lame workaround for a major firmware failure.

Workarounds are one thing, but I wonder whether GoPro is listening to this forum and the free firmware debugging the community is providing for their flawed product.
Tourist

Hi,If I remeber correctly in an earlier post I suggested that once finished a recording session to remove all files from the SD card  and put them wherever you like and keep the sd card empty to avoid this issue and if you suspect there may  be an error on the card check it or format it seems a lot never read that if there are no files on the card and no errors  I doubt you'll experience his issue as often as it only randomly occurs possibly to corrupt files or the fact that it may be processing the card at shutdown

yes we are on the same page as far as this issue goes but one must do house keeping as far as storage media goes

well this month have had no issues yet with drained battery no  lockups  3% drain over 5 days when wasn't using it

but I keep all by batteries fully charged when I know I want to use it  next day

Have not started tests yet with  other stuff on but as you all know blue tooth wifi will drain any battery fast while turned on

Cheers Brent

Hiker

[ Edited ]

I made the camera freeze by holding the power button too long while switching it off. After reinserting the battery the next shut down took about 15 seconds until the screen went black.

Hiker

Whilst this is all well and good what are you supposed to whilst travelling and cannot offload the files on the cards?

Tourist

Hi think I mentioned this before release as soon as you hear beeps (you may not hear them if they are turned off  I'm not sure what could happen but there are various button cpmbos for changing modes but holding too long on power off may trigger  a restart again not sure not tried it to see if it locks up

Cheers

Tourist

Hi, Well you got me there bet you got a mobile phone ? now if you are in the jungle this would be a problem there are no public libraries

now you could use a memory stick  at library not sure ,you should not have to do this  Another issue is filling up an sd card to near maximum capacity can cause issues

this is a sugestion for the problems some of us have been having

it may or may not work I still think it is a random occurance due to a bug or firmware issue

Hopefully there will be a fix in future update

Cheers,Brent