Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

@sweetcreek58382
Where are you at on the West Coast? I'm in the Central Coast of California near Pismo.
Highlighted
Tourist

@danielr15  I am in the south bay area so quite a bit north of you.

Highlighted
Nomad

This is what I've seen.

First of all, when I reported the fast drain ( camera stuck when powered off, getting warm, draining the battery in about 2 hours) to the support, they told me that maybe an SD card error could be the problem. The is checking the SD card when powering on and off and when powering off it could get stuck on that one.

When I turn my both camera's off, It always take 5 - 10 seconds before the display turns off, This means that the camera is doing something before fully shutting down.

Last week a friend of me bought a brand new hero 7 with a brand new SD card. He asked me some tips and settings. I noticed when I turned this camera off, the camera was shutting down emidiatly, the screen went off directly after the beeps.

I removed my SD card and the camera turned oof emidiatly after the 3 beeps, so  the Sd card is the problem.

Then I tought, my Sd cards has been used in other gopro's to, I've formatted them by PC ( quik format) and also by the hero 7.

Then I realised, if you format an SD card or harddisk, the files are erased but you can recover them with the correct software, this means that the files are still there. The only solution to fully erase files is to do a full format and this 3 times .

I inserted the SD card again let it format by the hero 7.

When I'm turning off the hero 7 now, it emidiatly shuts down after the 3 beeps.

Beacause it shuts down this fast , this means that it probably has no issues with the SD card anymore.

So if the support is correct, then from now, I should not have the fast battery draining anymore. But this is something that I should discover in the next few weeks.

If this is the case, gopro should check what the difference is with the former hero models when shutting down the camera.

For the slow draining ( 5% in 24h), this still remais, also whitout SD card. But like I said before, this is not anissue for me.

Hope this helps a little bit

cheers

Highlighted
Tourist

I have noticed that sometimes the camera will take 5-10 seconds before the display turns off and other time, it would turn off right away after the beep as well.  However, I haven't noticed this correlating to the drainage though.  The 5-10 seconds before turning off actually happens quite often for me but so far, I have only experienced the drainage 5x.  When the weather clears back up and I can get back to my more normal routine, I am going to try to keep the memory card out of the camera until I am ready to ride while leaving the battery in and see if that makes any difference.  The hard part in narrowing this down is it doesn't happen all the time and I haven't been able to recreate it consistently so hard to say any 'potential' solution is really working.

Highlighted
Tourist

If what you say is correct, and you can only shut the camera down fully if the SD card is empty, that's hardly encouraging, because the whole point is to record on to the SD card!

GoPro need to start communicating with users about this problem, and not hide in the shadows.
Highlighted
Hiker

Betreff: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

@foggybeach8632 Do you have Quick Capture On or Off?
Highlighted
Tourist

For me the battery drain is much better without the sd card. I bought 2 new sd cards and I will see if it gets better.
Highlighted
Hiker

I don't know if it is just me but the battery does seem to drain faster when it gets caught up in a long shutdown....