Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

It's really more of having to put the car in Park and set the emergency brake to ensure the car doesn't roll away. Yes, @sweetcreek58382 your analogy accurately uses the car's battery, but the steps to ensure the GoPro battery doesn't drain are much simpler and far less cumbersome than what you described.
Highlighted
Tourist

@danielr15  I am guessing that's exactly the thought of the people working at GoPro, hence they are not going to address this issue because the work around is not cumbersome.  They should also put in the manual than that one should remove and reinsert the battery to turn off the camera instead of using the power off button for the camera to properly shut off.

Highlighted
Explorer

No, is that was the thoughts of the people at GoPro then it would be in the manual. You should use the mode/power button and not pull the battery (even in instances of a freeze). However, as this is a member to member support community to discuss "tips and tricks" to get the most from our cameras, then I do suggest pulling the battery after charging and think it's a good idea..

I have only once experienced battery drain where I had a charged battery and then the next day is was drained. Since I transfer my media with a USB adapter and almost always use my dual charger, the process of removing the battery and SD card always happens.

If just coming here to complain to other members about GoPro is cathartic for you, then by all means, complain away. Hope it makes you feel better. I'm more interested in trying to find possible ways to overcome the issues for people who want to use the camera.
Highlighted
Tourist

I have no bone to grind with you and I am not targeting or complaining to you unless somehow you represent GoPro the company itself.  This is not a 'tips and tricks' to get the most out of our cameras.  This is a reliability and safety issue in my humble opinion when an equipement fails to turn off and continue to run and drain battery out when not in use.  Overheat and fire hazard.  What we are discussing here is a hack and a workaround for a problem that GoPro after 88 pages have still fail to address or acknowledge and leaving us end user on our own to figure out a workaround for their problem.  If they have put the fact that one has to remove and reinsert the battery to turn off the camera in the manual, no one would buy the camera.

It happened to you once, it has happened to me 5 times on 2 separate camera completely randomly.  None of us know each other's use case for the camera and as other poster already pointed out, removing and reinserting the camera is not an option for some.  This is a problem that GoPro need to fix instead of us being happy and shut our mouth with a non-clumbersome workaround.

Highlighted
Hiker

I agree with you.. This problem still exists in the hero 6 black, as I have several with the issue with no fix for it. Gopro gave up on it while more concerned with their prized hero 7, and the genes were passed on to it with no fix in sight. Hero 7 is dead on this issue. Hopefully the hero 8 will have all of this BS fixed.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@redwave72846  That indeed is very sad to hear.  Curious though, I never had this problem on the H6 black for the 10 months that I owned it before it died.  I never updated that camera so it was on the original firmware.  Which firmware are your H6 on?

Highlighted
Hiker

It is the latest firmware. Weird thing though, we have several of these and they all do not have the problem with the battery. Seems it is on the ones with the colored logo. The few we have with the gray logo are fine pertaining to battery issues.
Highlighted
Hiker

Sorry I was informed by one of our techs that we do have one with gray logo having the issues with battery as well. I suspect faulty hardware on all gopro's starting with the hero 6. Keep in mind this is when they went with the gp1 chip or what ever it is called. Never had any issues with hero 5 or 4.