Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

[ New ]
@danielr15
I don't believe that the result will be different if people here post their messages via https://community.gopro.com/t5/groups/page/node-id/category%3A131
or feedback page...

IMO if an organization is serious, it can follow this field and produces solutions...
Tourist

[ New ]

I wonder if this problem is related to batteries, it is possible that batch was produced which will exhibit this problem. Interesting thing is that on DJI OSMO Pocket forum very similar problem was reported by number of people https://bit.ly/2GGW2JO.

I have both, H7B and OP, and inspired by this topic I decided to test both. Placed fully charge battery in my H7B and after 14 hours when I turned camera on it was showing 99%. The same test on OP produced even better results, after 12 hours I had still 100% battery available.

I like to add that normally I remove batery from my H7B and H4B when not in use, the OP has non-removable batery.

Tourist

[ New ]
Amazingly I switched off the camera over 6-7 days and battery drain is only 4-5% (battery and sd card inside)
BTW still I haven't connected to the phone using mobile app. (I've posted stages of the issues & solutions I faced on this thread. If required please check them)
Hiker

[ New ]

Hiker

[ New ]
What were your next steps? What configuration do you have? I had removed it to the battery, after 3 days I put it back and it was 100%, but it lasted less than 1 hs when it was off and it was without any load, just activate the quickCapture to use it and I could only record 2 videos of 1 minute each and had no more charge, I returned to place another gopro battery that was also 100% charged and 1hs unused with completely re-downloaded. I return to my house I put a third battery at 100% charge, this was Sunday, today control Wednesday and follows 80%. I keep insisting software problem Regards
Hiker

[ New ]

What were your next steps? What configuration do you have? I had removed it to the battery, after 3 days I put it back and it was 100%, but it lasted less than 1 hs when it was off and it was without any load, just activate the quickCapture to use it and I could only record 2 videos of 1 minute each and had no more charge, I returned to place another gopro battery that was also 100% charged and 1hs unused with completely re-downloaded. I return to my house I put a third battery at 100% charge, this was Sunday, today control Wednesday and follows 80%. I keep insisting software problem Regards

Tourist

[ New ]
Why is the gopro wifi always on?
Tourist

[ New ]
The WiFi needs to stay on to run the battery down. Obviously.
Explorer

[ New ]
Wi-Fi is not always on. If connections are turned on, Bluetooth remains on for up to eight hours to allow for re-connection wirelessly.
Hiker

[ New ]

A few days on and I have been turning on the gropro checking the battery and turning it off without removing the battery and it is now at 72%, so not the best result but not the worst. The battery usage started to occur faster as soon as I stopped removing and reinstalling the battery. So there is a difference between the two 'off' states (which I woudl have assumed would have really been the same).

Sent my details to feedback. Signed up to news letter. Now waiting for a beta invite to try and help find the source of this battery drain isssue.

Hiker

[ New ]

Haha

Hiker

[ New ]
Hello Yes, since I stopped removing the battery and put it back in each use, I feel much better, I also have everything off, even when I turn off the gopro, I keep the button for 3 seconds and make the sound of the beeps, you have What to turn off in the moment, I realized that if the camera does not turn off in the instant, it is there when the recurrent battery starts draining, so I turn it on again and turn it off, until it turns off at the same instant , so I have a battery consumption of 5% every 24 hours, which does not seem too much, it would have to be less equally. So far the only temporary request that I found regards
Tourist

[ New ]

@guillosInteresting now that you mention it.  I did notice that there were times when the GoPro would take longer to turn off.  Like after the beep, the camera would still be on for like a good 2 or 3 seconds before everything goes off.  I never correspond it to the battery depletion though but maybe you are onto something here.  :)  At the moment, I don't feel like trying anything so I can't add to this observation.  I am doing to remove/reinsert battery workaround.

Tourist

[ New ]

I've noticed that if you take a picture before shutting down the camera, It will shut down immediately after the beep sounds. So it triggers something related to memory and this is why I think there is a list of compatible sd card to be used.

Unfortunately battery is still drawning. Slower, but still!

From 100% to 88& in 5 hours. 

Felix

Hiker

[ New ]

Siguen con el problema ? solucionaron ?

Gracias

Tourist

[ New ]

I have this problem too. Tested this way: charged fully, after first 24hours it was 100%. Switched off, reinserted battery. Every following 4 days did the same: check, 100%, reinsert battery and after 4 days it was still 100%. Before 5th day I didn't reinsert battery and it drained till 95% per 1 day. So, for me obviously, it's software problem. Waiting for the update.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi well thats not bad this issue seems random I have experienced total drains but over the last week I have had no issues at all

when I know I'll be using the camera next day I leave it on charge overnight just to be safe

I an mconvinced this is a firmware issue to do with the shut down of the camera I think even though it is turned off I suspect sometimes it does not shut down correctly therefore it is actually still on or in a crashed state that is the conclusion I have come to after a month

but I have all the functions turned offwifi bluetooth voice activation I think without looking quick start is still enabled

but as I say I have  found a full battery every time this week  after 12 -24 hrs of it just sitting there the other ocasions twice it was flat one time it was down to 27% now flattening the battery really annoys me because that is two battery cycles gone as I said in a previous post never flatten your battery that way you never use a cycle a cycle is a full discharge and recharge working on the assumption we get roughly 500 cycles on a battery maybe more maybe less before it needs replacing so if we never use a full cycle the battery should last for ages

and dont forget not all batteries are created equal one gopro here seems to loose a few percent after a few days while the other does not

So I'm convinced this issue related to the actual shutdown of the camera and it is random

Cheers,Brent

Tourist

[ New ]

I got a new Gopro at Xmas, whilst it has not had a great deal of use, the battery is definitely an issue, well the one in my camera is. Judging from the posts I'm not alone. The camera has been fully updated to the latest firmware, the battery then fully charged. It dropped to 92% in a few moments and kept dropping....I suspect the maximum running time would be in the region of 20 minutes, however its dropping charge pretty dramatically even when its just switched on i.e. not taking vide or photo's. After the initial charge I let it drop to empty and fully re-charged it. I next used it to film some ski holiday footage.......the battery was at around 80% when i went out, after 9 minutes of videoing (ok it was quite cold) the battery was sub 20%. I'm going to buy a second battery and see if that performs as poorly.....in my view its either a problem with the batteries themselves or something in the camera circuitry that is causing major power drain...or it could be the firmware.

Nomad

[ New ]

This is by far, the biggest issue that gopro should solve as soon as possible.

Have 2 hero 7 camera's. They both drain there battery with 5% in 24h, this is not a big deal if you know this.

The BIG issue is that it  completely drains your battery empty from time in about 2h.

This happens when the camera is powered off, it seems that it keeps on working without showing it. The camera gets warm and you cannot power it on anymore. If you leave the camera like this, the battery is empty in about 2h. If you notice this on time, the only way to power on again, you have to remove the battery and reinsert. ( I use it for watersports, so removing the battery then is not an option).

This issue can happen at any time.

So at this moment, the hero 7 is by far the best camera ever if you look to image quality, but by far the worst camera if you talk about reliability.

So GOPRO TEAM, SOLVE THIS PROBLEM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Tourist

[ New ]

@foggybeach8632  This is exactly what I have been experiencing.  Thank you for confirming.

Hiker

[ New ]

@foggybeach8632 wrote:

This is by far, the biggest issue that gopro should solve as soon as possible.

Have 2 hero 7 camera's. They both drain there battery with 5% in 24h, this is not a big deal if you know this.

The BIG issue is that it  completely drains your battery empty from time in about 2h.

This happens when the camera is powered off, it seems that it keeps on working without showing it. The camera gets warm and you cannot power it on anymore. If you leave the camera like this, the battery is empty in about 2h. If you notice this on time, the only way to power on again, you have to remove the battery and reinsert. ( I use it for watersports, so removing the battery then is not an option).

This issue can happen at any time.

So at this moment, the hero 7 is by far the best camera ever if you look to image quality, but by far the worst camera if you talk about reliability.

So GOPRO TEAM, SOLVE THIS PROBLEM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Same here.

I used my gopro past weekend. Battery left at 95%. After 5 days I have found it fully depleted. No way to turn it on.

Tourist

[ New ]
Just upgraded from 5 black to 7 black. Fully charged it last night, went out to test it in the morning and the battery was completely dead. Found this forum and it seems that people have been complaining about it for almost 5 months. Can’t believe there is still no fix for it.
Tourist

[ New ]
It looks like GoPro either doesn’t care or doesn’t know to fix the problem. Or perhaps they’ve looked into it and found out that it’s a fundamental design flaw whose only solution would be a recall on all Hero 7 Blacks. We’ve already seen what happened with batteries falling out of their now defunct Karma drones! Fundamental design flaw.
Tourist

[ New ]

Seitdem ich die Gopro 6 Black und 7 Black besitze, filme ich damit eigentich gar nicht. Das mache ich weiter mit meiner alten Hero 3+. Die Sportarten, die ich mit der 6er und der 7er betreibe heißen: Umtauschen, Retournieren, Neu bestellen, wieder retournieren, Ladegeräte testen, Akkus testen, Speicherkarten testen, Unmengen an Geld und vor allem Zeit verschwenden.

Aber das eigentliche Ziel, das ich mit diesen ganzen Sportarten erreichen möchte (und auch gerne mit einer voll aufgeladenen Hero 7 Black filmen würde) ist das zuverlässige Erlöschen der roten LED nach einem Ladevorgang auf 100%. Aber das scheint eine Extremsportart zu sein, an der ich (und viele andere) hier offensichtlich scheitern.

Ich bin gespannt auf die Hero 8 Black. Eventuell können hier dieses Mal für die Entwicklung der Kamera auch Software/Elektronikspezialisten mit einbezogen werden - das würde mich sehr freuen.

Ich habe es noch nie, und ich betone: noch NIE bei einem elektronischen Consumer-Gerät erlebt, dass ein Akku sich gar nicht oder nur mit großem Glück auf 100% aufladen lässt. Würdet Ihr ein Auto kaufen, das sich nur an bestimmten Tankstellen volltanken lässt, aber nur, wenn man vorher die SD-Karte aus dem Navi herausnimmt - und das doppelt so teuer ist wie die Konkurrenzprodukte?

Ich werde demnächst noch einmal das Laden bei Vollmond im Schatten einer 100-jährigen Eiche versuchen. Ein Hotline-Mitarbeiter sagte mir, dass das eventuell funktionieren soll.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi Everyone!

Sorry if this is taking some time.

If you have gone through all the necessary steps and it's still the same.

Please reach out to our Support Team to have a case logged.

Please let them know of the steps taken, you may also refer them to this thread

They are available by phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

And what happens, exactly, when we log a case as you suggest?

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Sorry if this is taking some time.

If you have gone through all the necessary steps and it's still the same.

Please reach out to our Support Team to have a case logged.

Please let them know of the steps taken, you may also refer them to this thread

They are available by phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

My guess?  Absolutely nothing.  They are just using it as a gauge to see how widespread the problem is and how many folks are affected to determine if they will spend any resource on it.  This problem has been there since the beginning and we are on page 85 now.  If they have related this thread information for real to the actual team and devoted resource to it, they would have solved it by now.  Product launch was in Oct 2018 for the US market.  We are March tomorrow.  That's 5 months.  Almost 1/2 of the product lifespan/cycle has passed already going by their yearly launch of a new camera and the problem still persist.  It's ridiculous to ask us to keep logging, return, exchange, test this, try that when there is 'NO' acknowledgement of the problem and that they are truely working on a fix. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I think you're correct, sweetcreek58382. This reply sounds like typical public relations "handling." GoPro hasn't offered ANY solution or even any status update that would indicate that ANYTHING is being done at all. Five months and 85 pages of thread later and they still can't figure out the issue.

It's almost certainly a firmware issue where the shutdown sequence that is supposed to power down the camera hangs/crashes at some point during execution. Thus, parts of the camera's code are still being executed...even if it's a simple infinite loop...while giving the outward impression that the camera is "off." Meanwhile, the buggy code continues to execute until the battery is completely depleted to zero where no electrons can flow.

Note that turning the Hero 7 Black off (by pressing the power button for 3 seconds) may or may not actually shut it down. Keep holding the power button longer and other behaviors occur (e.g., screen turns back on but camera doesn't otherwise do anything). Hold it not quite long enough, and it may appear to shut down but then can't restart. The only workaround—it's not a "solution"—is to shut down and then remove the battery.

Firmware bug, IMHO, and GoPro seems to be investing little to no energy into this problem. Maybe they've outsourced their code writing to the cheapest bidder.

Nomad

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

I have contacted the support many times for this whitout any result.

I have 2 hero 7 camera's with the same issue. In the several times that I contacted support I never had to give the serial numbers, they just told me they where sorry about me having this issue.

I also have send messages directly to the feedback departement.

Untill now no answers and no solutions.

SO AGAIN:

PLEASE GOPRO, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi, i have the GP7 Black since October and from the beginning i had the camera freezong on me. Many times it just froze and had to remover battery and restart. With the last 1.7 firmware the battery is draining on its own. I mean i charge 100% and the next day i went to shoot, its dead. 0%. I have this problem only after the last update. This problem means its tottaly useless camera...What should i do?

Adventurer

[ New ]

What i do is refresh the firmware.  Revert back, call gopro.

Tourist

[ New ]

I just returned my Hero 7 White because of it having issue,  and I just purchase the Hero 7 Black and  hope for it to be better than the white,  but when I charge the battery,  it only go to 90% and won't charge past that.  I tried everything suggested,  factory reset,  take battery in/out.   I have the sandisk micro  64gb sd U3 / V30 .    Seems like many others having the same problem of getting this thing to charge 100%.   The firmware on my Hero 7 Black is currently the latest version 1.7.      Anyone have another work around befside reverting the firmware to previous version which I don't think end user have access to previous version.

Tourist

[ New ]

I did factory reset, took out memory card, battery,  put back in,  now it won't even charge.    Vacation is coming up soon,  Gopro is not reliable both their products and supports,  going to return it again this time I'm stay away from GoPro.

Hiker

[ New ]

It's not reliable enough for professional purposes. I regret buying it. Had a freeze and hot camera twice this week. Next camera will be a cheap knock-off again. Never had problems with those nor was it important how to update the firmware or which cards to use or how I charge them.

Tourist

[ New ]
And still nothing from the company. One can easily conclude there is no fix coming.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, further to previous posts  no further flat batteries so far 2 week of testing day 1-4 100% day 5 down to 96%

have 2 gopro batteries one of which is in the camera

2 one was charged to 100% it has been sitting for 2 weeks it reads 4.31 volts

the 2 wasabi batteries also charged to 100% have been sitting for 2 weeks one reads 4.30 volts which I have put on the charger and it is accepting charge the charger says its charged now but voltage still reads 4.30 sorry dont have a higher res multimeter

the other reads 4.31 volts and does not accept charge so presumably is at 100% charge

I suspect the battery I have in the camera was the one previously spoken about that seems to self discharge more than the other

a note on shutdown please release the power button as soon as you hear the beeps otherwise i suspect it may trigger a power up if held down too long as i said this is a random problem and is due to power down issues wether it be a crash endless loop at power down  etc in my opinion anyway

Note if you know you want to use your gopro or any other camera would you not make sure your batteries are fully charged the night before like your phone etc

I leave mine on the charger  overnight till I'm ready to go the choice is yours and as noted I have 4 batteries haven't had one run out while recording yet firmware 1.7 everything turned off except quick start

as far as I am aware gopro are looking into this but since it is random it may be hard to track down

as for resetting to factory default as far as I know this will not solve your issue unless you had a very old firmware but  suggest having 1.7 is  your best bet untill the next comes out

Cheers,Brent

Hiker

[ New ]

The same situation here.

I have:

• 1 Original GoPro battery (made in Vietnam)
  • 1 Original GoPro battery (made in China)
  • 1 Original GoPro battery from my old GoPro Hero 5 (made in Vietnam)
  • SanDisk Extreme U3 64Gb (recommended one)
  • GPS is OFF, Voice is OFF, WiFi is OFF
  • Quick Capture is ON

All these batteries, in the GoPro Hero 5 do not have any issue.

All these batteries, in the GoPro Hero 7, have the same problem after shortly recording something (from OFF state with Quick Capture) after few hours the battery is dead.

The manual update I’ve already tried => no luck. I went back to the shop and explained the situation. They accepted to replace the camera since they said it must be a faulty unit. I accepted and I was happy, until I went out for short filming.

I came back in the evening with 70% battery, transferred 2 videos via Wifi (2.4Gz), deactivated the Wifi and turned the camera off.

Today morning the camera was dead! ☹

So since the second camera has exactly the same behavior, I would say it just bad SW.

I am so disappointed. I loved my GP Hero5, so I supposed the 7 will be much better.

The only thing which I am doing different than GP sais is the first setup process. By default when you first turn on the camera, it camera expects to connect to it via the APP and make some settings.

I cannot do that since by default the GoPro Hero 7 is starting with its 5Gz Wifi ON and since the Channel used by GoPro is illegal in Europe, none of the phones or tablets I have can see the camera and connect to it. This is the other big Problem of this Camera.

I have to cancel the setup Process, change the WiFi from 5 to 2.4 and then there is no Wizzard/Setup process anymore.

I have one week left, until I can return also the second camera and get my money back. With the current situation, I think this is what I will choose to do.

Tourist

[ New ]
Same here. My GoPro Hero 7 drains the battery with about 3% per hour when turned off without wifi or speech recogonition turned on. Else it's much more. When I have the camera running, I can record about 1 hour then the battery is empty. I will try the manual update now, else I will replace the GoPro and if the replacement doesn't work I will give it back.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi ,at best you will only get 1:25 hrs to 1:27 hrs on a newish fully charged battery on hero 7 Black  hero 6 Black  might get 1:44 hrs

pretty good an a 1220 mah battery I rekon

Cheers,Brent

Explorer

[ New ]
A very simple way to prevent battery drain is to pull the battery, pop up the SD card, press the mode/power button for a few seconds and then reinsert the battery and SD card. It takes a few seconds and should be done when you take the camera off off the charger.

Should you have to do this? Well, no. However, it's a minor thing to do that will help save battery life.

As far as recording time goes, you should expect somewhere in the Hour+ time frame. In general you will see the fastest depletion in the first ten minutes. Even if the camera is just turned on, it's not uncommon to see about 3-10% drop when the camera is first turned on and you are moving through the settings. With the camera left on and periodic recording with settings like Connections On, full brightness on LCD, GPS on, Hypersmooth stabilization, etc.. you'll probably get about an hour of usage. If you only use Quick Capture, then you will probably get a little over an hour of recording time (depending on resolution/frame rate and other settings). Continuous recording times will vary from about an hour to an hour and forty minutes (again, depending on resolution/frame rate, settings, and also ambient temperature).
Tourist

[ New ]
I did one more test without sd card. In 8 hours the battery dropped by 6%. I replaced the battery with a new one and will see tonight if there is the same. Looks like a lot to me.
Nomad

[ New ]

To all,

The 5% battery drain in 24h is not the problem.

The problem is that from time to time the camera get stuck in the power off mode. When this happens you can not turn on the camera anymore( only removing the battery is the solution, but on the water it's not possible), the camera gets warm and the battery is empty after about 2 hours!

this is the BIG problem.

And when i'm shooting action footage on land or water, it's not done to remove the battery and Sd card each time you turn off the camera.

And also if you put the camera away to use it the next day again, also removing the battery and SD card then is not a solution and strange way of working with an expensive camera like this one.

So again this problem should be solved fast, it makes the camera useless and unusable.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I suggest pressing over 40 seconds that forces the camera off, not 10 seconds that does only reset the camera.

Explorer

[ New ]

At about ten seconds the camera resets.  You want it to reset as this will allow for the camera to properly close the media file (repair file).  A complete shut down and/or pulling the battery prevents the camera from completing the reset and repair.

Nomad

[ New ]

Pulling out the battery each time is just ridiculous.

You can compare this by turning off the main circuitbreakers of your house each time you would like to turn off your TV.

This is something that you also do not do.

Tourist

[ New ]

@foggybeach8632  Completely agree with you.  But I was thinking more along the line that after you shut off the car, you have to go pop the hood (or trunk depending on battery location) and disconnect the terminals and reconnect it each time.  Otherwise, your car battery might randomly drain overnight and you won't be able to drive it the next morning.  hahaha.  No auto manufacturer can get away with a flaw/issue like that.  So I don't understand why and how GoPro is hiding from fixing/addressing this.

Explorer

[ New ]
It's really more of having to put the car in Park and set the emergency brake to ensure the car doesn't roll away. Yes, @sweetcreek58382 your analogy accurately uses the car's battery, but the steps to ensure the GoPro battery doesn't drain are much simpler and far less cumbersome than what you described.
Tourist

[ New ]

@danielr15  I am guessing that's exactly the thought of the people working at GoPro, hence they are not going to address this issue because the work around is not cumbersome.  They should also put in the manual than that one should remove and reinsert the battery to turn off the camera instead of using the power off button for the camera to properly shut off.

Explorer

[ New ]
No, is that was the thoughts of the people at GoPro then it would be in the manual. You should use the mode/power button and not pull the battery (even in instances of a freeze). However, as this is a member to member support community to discuss "tips and tricks" to get the most from our cameras, then I do suggest pulling the battery after charging and think it's a good idea..

I have only once experienced battery drain where I had a charged battery and then the next day is was drained. Since I transfer my media with a USB adapter and almost always use my dual charger, the process of removing the battery and SD card always happens.

If just coming here to complain to other members about GoPro is cathartic for you, then by all means, complain away. Hope it makes you feel better. I'm more interested in trying to find possible ways to overcome the issues for people who want to use the camera.
Tourist

[ New ]

I have no bone to grind with you and I am not targeting or complaining to you unless somehow you represent GoPro the company itself.  This is not a 'tips and tricks' to get the most out of our cameras.  This is a reliability and safety issue in my humble opinion when an equipement fails to turn off and continue to run and drain battery out when not in use.  Overheat and fire hazard.  What we are discussing here is a hack and a workaround for a problem that GoPro after 88 pages have still fail to address or acknowledge and leaving us end user on our own to figure out a workaround for their problem.  If they have put the fact that one has to remove and reinsert the battery to turn off the camera in the manual, no one would buy the camera.

It happened to you once, it has happened to me 5 times on 2 separate camera completely randomly.  None of us know each other's use case for the camera and as other poster already pointed out, removing and reinserting the camera is not an option for some.  This is a problem that GoPro need to fix instead of us being happy and shut our mouth with a non-clumbersome workaround.