Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

It looks like GoPro either doesn’t care or doesn’t know to fix the problem. Or perhaps they’ve looked into it and found out that it’s a fundamental design flaw whose only solution would be a recall on all Hero 7 Blacks. We’ve already seen what happened with batteries falling out of their now defunct Karma drones! Fundamental design flaw.
Highlighted
Tourist

Seitdem ich die Gopro 6 Black und 7 Black besitze, filme ich damit eigentich gar nicht. Das mache ich weiter mit meiner alten Hero 3+. Die Sportarten, die ich mit der 6er und der 7er betreibe heißen: Umtauschen, Retournieren, Neu bestellen, wieder retournieren, Ladegeräte testen, Akkus testen, Speicherkarten testen, Unmengen an Geld und vor allem Zeit verschwenden.

Aber das eigentliche Ziel, das ich mit diesen ganzen Sportarten erreichen möchte (und auch gerne mit einer voll aufgeladenen Hero 7 Black filmen würde) ist das zuverlässige Erlöschen der roten LED nach einem Ladevorgang auf 100%. Aber das scheint eine Extremsportart zu sein, an der ich (und viele andere) hier offensichtlich scheitern.

Ich bin gespannt auf die Hero 8 Black. Eventuell können hier dieses Mal für die Entwicklung der Kamera auch Software/Elektronikspezialisten mit einbezogen werden - das würde mich sehr freuen.

Ich habe es noch nie, und ich betone: noch NIE bei einem elektronischen Consumer-Gerät erlebt, dass ein Akku sich gar nicht oder nur mit großem Glück auf 100% aufladen lässt. Würdet Ihr ein Auto kaufen, das sich nur an bestimmten Tankstellen volltanken lässt, aber nur, wenn man vorher die SD-Karte aus dem Navi herausnimmt - und das doppelt so teuer ist wie die Konkurrenzprodukte?

Ich werde demnächst noch einmal das Laden bei Vollmond im Schatten einer 100-jährigen Eiche versuchen. Ein Hotline-Mitarbeiter sagte mir, dass das eventuell funktionieren soll.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi Everyone!

Sorry if this is taking some time.

If you have gone through all the necessary steps and it's still the same.

Please reach out to our Support Team to have a case logged.

Please let them know of the steps taken, you may also refer them to this thread

They are available by phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

And what happens, exactly, when we log a case as you suggest?

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Sorry if this is taking some time.

If you have gone through all the necessary steps and it's still the same.

Please reach out to our Support Team to have a case logged.

Please let them know of the steps taken, you may also refer them to this thread

They are available by phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

My guess?  Absolutely nothing.  They are just using it as a gauge to see how widespread the problem is and how many folks are affected to determine if they will spend any resource on it.  This problem has been there since the beginning and we are on page 85 now.  If they have related this thread information for real to the actual team and devoted resource to it, they would have solved it by now.  Product launch was in Oct 2018 for the US market.  We are March tomorrow.  That's 5 months.  Almost 1/2 of the product lifespan/cycle has passed already going by their yearly launch of a new camera and the problem still persist.  It's ridiculous to ask us to keep logging, return, exchange, test this, try that when there is 'NO' acknowledgement of the problem and that they are truely working on a fix. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I think you're correct, sweetcreek58382. This reply sounds like typical public relations "handling." GoPro hasn't offered ANY solution or even any status update that would indicate that ANYTHING is being done at all. Five months and 85 pages of thread later and they still can't figure out the issue.

It's almost certainly a firmware issue where the shutdown sequence that is supposed to power down the camera hangs/crashes at some point during execution. Thus, parts of the camera's code are still being executed...even if it's a simple infinite loop...while giving the outward impression that the camera is "off." Meanwhile, the buggy code continues to execute until the battery is completely depleted to zero where no electrons can flow.

Note that turning the Hero 7 Black off (by pressing the power button for 3 seconds) may or may not actually shut it down. Keep holding the power button longer and other behaviors occur (e.g., screen turns back on but camera doesn't otherwise do anything). Hold it not quite long enough, and it may appear to shut down but then can't restart. The only workaround—it's not a "solution"—is to shut down and then remove the battery.

Firmware bug, IMHO, and GoPro seems to be investing little to no energy into this problem. Maybe they've outsourced their code writing to the cheapest bidder.

Highlighted
Nomad

@aragon1006 

I have contacted the support many times for this whitout any result.

I have 2 hero 7 camera's with the same issue. In the several times that I contacted support I never had to give the serial numbers, they just told me they where sorry about me having this issue.

I also have send messages directly to the feedback departement.

Untill now no answers and no solutions.

SO AGAIN:

PLEASE GOPRO, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi, i have the GP7 Black since October and from the beginning i had the camera freezong on me. Many times it just froze and had to remover battery and restart. With the last 1.7 firmware the battery is draining on its own. I mean i charge 100% and the next day i went to shoot, its dead. 0%. I have this problem only after the last update. This problem means its tottaly useless camera...What should i do?