Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

And
When you are turning the camera off hold your camera to the sun light... The angle to the sun should be 34 degress...
Then tap on it seven times...
Hold the sd card for 21 minutes at 56 degrees Fahrenheit...
Then insert it... Etc
:-)

None of your advices is not a solution... This is GoPro's business... Disappointment about fixing a battery problem...
Highlighted
Tourist

maybe Gopro tech team read this message. the problem is software and nobody know how to fix it
Highlighted
Nomad

@stoutshore26651

I don't understand the point of your post. Yes it shouldn't happen in the first place and GoPro should solve it, but I'm posting a workaround that has worked for some people for now. If you have nothing to add then don't say anything.
Highlighted
Hiker

I have spoken by chat with the technical service, but their answers have left me even worse.

They tell me that the problem is not frequent, and I also get the impression that the boy had not heard another similar case: how is that possible? Just look at this forum.

He tells me that they will send me an email during the day; I already received it, and it is with the advice of always that I had followed previously, like almost all of us who are in this post.

These tips are more for the duration of the battery while using the camera, but they do not say anything about why this happens when it is off.

I thought that they would tell me that they were trying to solve it by firmware or some solution, but it has not been like that.

This they told me; I will do it one more time, but I am not very optimistic:

How to carry out the test:
Turn off Wi-Fi in the menu connections, wifi, and put it on off
Fully charge your camera's battery. To make sure you're doing it correctly, see this article: How to charge the battery correctly.
Reformat the SD card (Windows | Mac). Make sure you save the material you want to keep.
Make sure your camera is set to record 1080p 30FPS.
Check that Protune is off.
Record a long video by pressing the shutter button; let the camera record continuously until it goes out.

Highlighted
Tourist

It would be reassuring if GoPro could officially acknowledge the problem, confirm that they can reproduce it in a controlled environment, and state that this is fixable by firmware, and is not a chipset issue. The latter bit is of particular importance, obviously. I don't have any desire to hang around for a fix that is never going to come. And I stress fix, not workaround.
Highlighted
Tourist

I can confirm that 48hrs after following the advice from quickhero77554 my battery has only lost 1%
Thankyou for YOUR advise with this issue 👍
Highlighted
Nomad

@pesix

Happy to help!

Seems a few are now getting this fix to work. Also it seems to permanently fix the issue so it should not return!
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi ,not all batteries are created equally I do suspect that the gopro actually uses the battery while turned off that being  everything disabled all connections wifi bluetooth voice I think you will find the battery will still drain slowly some newer batterys have a very slow self discharge rate these not being one of those

Li-ion self-discharges about 5 percent in the first 24 hours and then loses 1–2 percent per month

and yes just playing with the menu settings will discharge about 3 to 4 percent in 10-15 mins

whilst you may not agree with this if i want a fully charged battery next day I just leave it on the charger overnight

most decent chargers have sufficient protection these days to shut down in case of malfunction

perhaps a total shutdown can be implimented in future firmware

Cheers,Brent