Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

@quickhero77554 wrote:
It is obvious that nobody is taking the advice given to them on this forum.

I have posted the solution several times and people just dismiss it and don't try then complain that they have battery issues.

If you're not willing to try to fix it then you deserve to have issues.

I won't be helping anymore with this, thanks.

Sorry to hear that.

Honestly I didn't find any logic on your advice, but I already tried it (see the end of my post number 574).

But I still had 5% drain in 8h in both cameras. So no, it is not a solution. I guess I don't deserve this bug anymore...

Have you tried it in a hero 7 or just in a hero 6 and it actually improved anything?

Concerning my tests I have more data. I've repeated the test, removing battery and then inserting it again without turning camera on until several hours later.

Hero n1: WIFI/GPS/VOICE/QUICK CAPTURE ALL OFF, Sandisk extreme 64gb, battery in-out-in: 0% in 14hours 

Hero n2: WIFI/GPS/VOICE/QUICK CAPTURE ALL OFF, NO SD INSERTED, battery in-out-in: 1% in 14hours 

Adding previous test is 1/2% in 24 hours (for me this is no drain at all) 

I am just trying to discard a real hardware problem and avoid some useless replacements. And these test lead to think that it is a fw problem (a real hw problem due to a bad board design, bad components or wahtever would drain the same regardless of this remove/insert battery procedure).

This evening I'll report my next test without removing/inserting battery.

Regards.

Highlighted
Sightseer

@greenboost65412 wrote:

I want to point out a battery/software issue with the Hero 7 black. I have been able to do the firmware update and after letting it charge overnight and talktosonic, it would not charge to 100%, then would drop to 80%, then 0% but would keep working. I would turn off then on then battery would be back to 80%.

Apparantly I am not the only one. Search youtube and you will see others have had the same issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J40nKnBzrhc

I am expecting a firmware update to address this problem.

For me When I put my GoPro on charge overnight and the next morning after using for only an Hour the battery was 50% Drained. Such a bad experience.

Explorer

I'm not saying that there aren't issues with some people's cameras and batteries, but I do want to point out that the video posted is not only old, there are many inaccuracies that were taken back.  First, the update that came after this video addressed the charging to 100% issue.  Second, the wireless update with the phone doesn't work if the phone doesn't have access to a home wi-fi and also, the phone needs to be allowed to use mobile data for downloads.  Third, the Walmart recall mentioned was a hoax.  It never happened.  Fourth, the part about the HERO7 White (or Silver for that matter) being the same as the HERO (2018) is completely false.  The HERO7 White and Silver have brand new chips developed by Qualcom.  The HERO (2018) uses different components and is nothing like the HERO (2018). 

Hiker

Hi all

Final report. I am testing 2 HB7 to determine if battery drain is due to some sw task or a plain hw problem.

My last measure has been with a normal power off (not removing battery)

Hero 1, All off, sd card inserted 7% in 11 hours

Hero 2, All off, no sd, 5% in 11 hours

So again there is a significant drain while off if we just power camera off (similar values as in a previous test , 5% in 8h).

On the contrary, if we remove battery just a second after power off, we get 0/1% in the same period of time.

Just FYI...

Tourist

Thanks for the testing.  So I guess a temporary work around is to pop the battery and re-insert it to avoid significant battery drain when camera is in storage?

GoPro

Hi @alexm56644

Thank you for the additional information.

Would you mind doing a test recording? This is to check how the camera/battery fares when it's in use.

Make sure you are using a recommended SD card.

Format your card through the camera's menu. Preferences>Reset>Format> Format SD Card

Set your camera to 1080/60. Turn off Voice Control, GPS, Wi-Fi, and ProTune.

Fully charge your camera using a Recommended Charger.

Record a video with your camera.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

@sweetcreek58382 wrote:

Thanks for the testing.  So I guess a temporary work around is to pop the battery and re-insert it to avoid significant battery drain when camera is in storage?

I think so. I can't be 100% sure but my impression after these tests in both hero 7 is that it could work. Hopefully until gopro team fixes it.

Just in case test it before any important event!

Hiker

[ Edited ]

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hi @alexm56644

Thank you for the additional information.

Would you mind doing a test recording? This is to check how the camera/battery fares when it's in use.

Make sure you are using a recommended SD card.

Format your card through the camera's menu. Preferences>Reset>Format> Format SD Card

Set your camera to 1080/60. Turn off Voice Control, GPS, Wi-Fi, and ProTune.

Fully charge your camera using a Recommended Charger.

Record a video with your camera.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Thanks for your interest.

Actually I have an open case with Gopro support team and I have done this measurement in both units. Results are completely normal. Tested with 3 different original batteries (2 samsung and 1 chinese) charged with your official charger and an ipad power.

I am using one of the SD on the list, prefectly formatted and tested in a sd card reader (90/63MBs R/W)

I have no complain in recording time. Just worried about this drain while off that is reducing real capacity.

I hope your team can analyze it. Please note that even with no sd there is a significant drain!