Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

@alexm56644 

My Hero 6 had the issue where it would drain overnight. The issue was that I had inserted my SD card and been charging with the SD card inserted. Once I removed the SD card and charged the battery (in camera), and then put the SD card back in, there was no issue anymore.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@quickhero77554 wrote:

@alexm56644 

My Hero 6 had the issue where it would drain overnight. The issue was that I had inserted my SD card and been charging with the SD card inserted. Once I removed the SD card and charged the battery (in camera), and then put the SD card back in, there was no issue anymore.

Do you mean that after this 100% charge with no sd card, you didn't need to remove sd card anymore and there was no overnight drain?

Just once? I mean if you have to remove the sd each time you charged your battery.

Do you have a link to a thread where this was explained/posted? I am really interested as it is quite counterintuitive for me. 

Thanks for your help

Highlighted
Nomad

Yes I mean that once the camera was charged to 100% with no SD card inserted the issue had completely disappeared even when the SD is inserted mow.
Highlighted
Hiker

@quickhero77554 wrote:
Yes I mean that once the camera was charged to 100% with no SD card inserted the issue had completely disappeared even when the SD is inserted mow.

But then It is maybe the same situation as we are facing (at least in your hero 6). If you remove sd card is sure that any spurious process will be killed. And then if you insert it while the camera is off, it won't start this process and won't be any drain.

Somehow it is similar to remove battery. Both methods kill such process. And I agree that it could work, but I'd prefer to keep the sd/battery in its place if possible and avoid this hassle.

Highlighted
Nomad

It's not really much of a hassle to try. You just remove the SD card once, charge the camera to 100%, then put your SD card back in. You don't need to repeat this, just do it once and it solves the issue.
Highlighted
Hiker

hi guys!

I wanna try testing this..I don't think it will work but I will give a try..I am saying this only because I think the battery drains even if the sd is not insert.

Highlighted
Tourist

My Hero 7 Black had NO data or files on the card. I made sure to format the card in the camera. The battery was still drained in 24 hours with no use. I returned it to Best Buy. What a mess. My older Hero 5 is fine with no drain issues at all. I'd say the Hero 7 is a lemon.

Highlighted
Nomad

@megawater68210If your battery drains when your SD isn't inserted then return your camera, it's faulty. Do what I said and I'm 99% sure it will fix the issue.

@spiryrange56048It doesn't matter if you formatted the card or not, charge the camera WITHOUT THE SD CARD IN IT. Come on people how hard is it?