Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

my third camera also loses battery while it is off. I suppose there will be an update waiting to solve it.
Highlighted
Hiker

IMO if the battery problem is not solved after all this time and it is a "software problem", it is not possible to make sense. This product does not belong to a company that has just entered the market. They must have great experience after all those previous product. This is not the software on the NASA's Cassini spacecraft on its Saturn mission. Can the software written for Hypersmooth feature have a responsibility for this?
I want to buy one, but even if a few people complain about it, I'm going to wait for the problem to be resolved completely before I get it.
Highlighted
Hiker

Even with the new firmware..my battery is still draining when the gopro is off.

Is there anything we can do guys?

it's unbelieveable that they are not fixing this.

Highlighted
Tourist

Looking at the other threads, it would seem that there are also problems with the camera freezing. Maybe they're struggling with resources to address all these issues, as in which takes priority etc. I'll be honest and say I don't have a GoPro, and landed on here just to see whether people were satisfied with them, and that they were a safe bet. Ideally, the form factor and the accessories are the appeal, but I'm not spending any amount of money on something half cooked. I'm going to the Greek Islands at the end of July, and want a camera for underwater, but it has to work! As things stand, I can see myself getting a so-called 'tough' camera and an underwater housing. Works out more expensive by someway, but there won't be any of these problems. From what I can see, GoPro are failing on two counts; firstly, and obviously, not fixing the problems, and secondly, not communicating with their customers except to go on about SD cards and manual firmware updates. I really want to buy a GoPro, my heart says 'yes', but my head says 'no'.
Highlighted
Hiker

Hi all

I agree.

I'll add some information. I have tested a replacement unit. Exactly the same: 10% drain in 8h overnight (supposedly Off).

I hope Gopro listen us and fix this issue.

One question. What card do you use? It is the only thing that they seem to consider.

I'm using a sandisk extreme 64GB (one of the recommended list. Part number already checked)

Maybe we can find a correlation if we share our sd card model...

Anyway, this is not the solution but it can help to find a workaround...

Highlighted
Tourist

hmmmmm. in my case, after updating to 1.70 the draining issue is gone. tested on 3 different batteries. 

no more draining when off!!!

I will keep you informed if it changes.

updated via app.

Highlighted
Tourist

With each battery, do you insert battery, switch camera on, and then off again?
Highlighted
Hiker

GREAT NEWS!

I think I have found a clue in this battery issue which could explain why not everybody is suffering it. And why sometimes our own gopros have no battery drain.

PLEASE TRY IT AND SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE!

I have found out that the amount of standby drain DEPENDS ON THE AMOUNT OF DATA STORED IN THE SD CARD AT THAT MOMENT!!!!

A brief explanation. My usual test is recording some videos around 10-15 min, write down the battery level. Then turn it off and some hours later (sometimes 4-5 hours, sometimes 12-14 hours) write down again battery levels. Without removing the battery at any time.

And as soon as sd card is getting full of this test videos I format it.

But then analyzing my data I realized that standby drain in the first tests after formatting sd is much lower than the later ones! By far.

For example, I can have 10% in 8hours with sd half used, and tonight after a fresh format I’ve had 1% in 14hours (as always wireless, voice control, GPS off, but this time quick Capture On)

And somehow this makes sense. Depending on how you use your gopro, you’ll never notice this battery drain. For example if you just format/erase your sd after each video session.

Unfortunately, in a real world scenario, in a summer trip, you can’t download and erase your files, so we still need to fix this issue. (in case I am right and pointing out a candidate)

If possible it would be nice if some affected users can try it and compare its draining if they have a freshly formatted card instead of full of videos (same wireless, GPS , voice control OFF)

If this is confirmed then we’ll have a starting point. There are two options:

1. That this drain happens in all brand of sd cards
  2. That only happens in some sd card models.

If we share our results we could identify this. And maybe gopro will fix this if it is not what is expected.

@danielr15  I’ve seen from your posts that you usually download and format your card. If my guess is correct, then this procedure could mask the battery issue. Could you please help us doing the reverse operation? Take an almost full sd card and then WITHOUT ERASING ANY FILES AND WITHOUT REMOVING BATTERY TURN IT OFF and leave it some hours?

It would be very helpful as you are one of the unaffected users.

It is important not removing the battery, since in this way any software loop will be terminated and probably there will be no battery drain masking any issue. But I’d like to emulate the normal behavior. Turn it off after using it.

@mariustanya @graytree76514  Could you please pass this guess to any engineer team that hopefully is working on this issue? Could they test it with a almost full sd card instead of an empty one?

Regards!

PS: Disclaimer: Despite being a firmware engineer, I have no clue on how gopro systems are programmed. I am just having a guess based on my data. So I apologize in advance if experimental data proves this hypothesis as incorrect. But at least I have some hope that it is related….

PS2: A particular case is when there is no sd card. In this case I have seen erratic results, but my guess is that could be a different bug. Actually, at least in my gopro with no sd card when I turn it off, it takes more than 10 seconds to disable screen after the 3 beeps… So I expect that this is not working nicely anyway.

PS3: My card is in the list: SanDisk Extreme MicroSDXC (UHS-I / V30) A2 64GB SDSQXA2-064G-AN6MA