Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

Well, yesterday I bought a Hero7 Black, while testing I noticed that even in standby between shots the battery was draining fast, both with the original battery and an additional one I bought. I did the manual update to 1.7 firmware (copy folder to SD), charged it to 100%, I did some testing and turned it off at 22:11 at 86% charge. Connections off, GPS off, voice commands off. 

06:13 in the morning wouldn't turn on, plugged it to power and battery was at 0%. I live in South America and for me is impossible to get a refund or replacement, so if it can't be fixed it's 450$ wasted.

My SD card is Samsung 64GB EVO Plus UHS Class 3 (the 128GB version is the recommended by GoPro), and I know the GoPro support in this thread will say: "Get a supported card", well, that's more than 50$ extra that I'd have to spend simply to test if it works.

I can't believe that so much time has passed and GoPro support is still in the dark about what's causing this issue.

Highlighted
Tourist

I spent 30 years designing and developing systems on various platforms. Embedded electronics are not part of my portfolio, but troubleshooting certainly is....

There a number of scenarios here, but the common denominator seems to be that the camera is exhausting the camera when supposedly switched off. I have read here that the camera needs the battery to maintain the clock time. If true, then it's a shame a button cell wasn't used for that instead. However that's a design feature and that boat has sailed.

Putting aside the issue of the clock, what else could the camera want to do if in a supposedly off state. If all the 'outside world' interfaces, GPS, WiFi, voice control etc are disabled prior to switch off, then the camera can only talk to itself, even if it is left on.

I would be interested to know what services the camera is supporting when in a 'soft' off state, apart from keeping the clock going. Because there simply shouldn't be any at all.

I would hazard a guess that there is a problem with the powering down procedure, and the camera still thinks it's on. Charging the battery, removing it, thereby really switching off the camera, and then replacing the battery should result in near zero battery depletion overnight. I am assuming here that the battery is indeed the only power source. If there is zero depletion, then there is definitely a problem with the power down process of the camera.

The other variable often quoted here is the SD card. Now why would the camera want to perform some spurious filesystem check when the camera is ostensibly in a soft off state. If this really is the case, then I would think there might be an issue with whatever software framework underpins the firmware. Maybe a configuration flag somewhere.

Am I missing something? This whole thing doesn't seem that difficult to fix to me.

And I refuse to believe there isn't some debug laden version of the firmware that could be provided to interested customers to aid in the resolution process.
Highlighted
Tourist

Sorry, some typos, as I'm doing this on my mobile phone!
Highlighted
Hiker

By the way

Does the hero 6 suffer from this issue?

Highlighted
Tourist

@alexm56644I had the H6 for about 10 month before it died on me.  The answer is No for my case.  I do not recall the H6 ever having this issue where it 'hiddenly' stays on and drain the battery when off.  The H7 and H6 supposedly have the same chip so I don't think it's a hardware thing.  Somewhere in the software script/code, there must be an exit/end condition that's not finishing up properly.  These bugs should not be that hard to diagnose within GoPro when you can just read/inspect the code.  I have been in the software industry for 20 yrs debugging all kinds of bugs for timing issues, data sharing, etc.  These sort of problems cannot be that hard to diagnose with code inspection.

To report back, my 2 H7 did not lose any charge through last night.  However, the steps were:

- charged camera

- remove memory card

- remove battery

- reinsert memory card

- reinsert battery

- leave it over night

Will try something else tonight.....

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi all

After fixing my SD I was going to test my hero 7. And then .....

I have found my hero 7 warm/hot and depleted! With no Sd card inside!

This morning it was at 84% battery. I just turned it on to verify overnight drain, and then turned it off until now (10h later)

So my guess that the sd was guilty has miserably failed...

What kind of process can do hero 7 with no SD!!! Maybe the problem is also when there is no SD or it is falulty :)

I am really desperate...

Today I'll receive a replacement unit from amazon. But I guess It will be the same...

Highlighted
Tourist

@alexm56644  Honestly, I cannot think of a reason where the memory card is at fault for this 'hidden' feature.  If the camera is off, it should be off.  Simple as that.  The card itself cannot be the one to tell the camera to do something or initiate some sort of function.  Even when updating, one has to turn on the camera.  It's not like we just insert the card and the update will start.  It doesn't make sense for any functionality/behavior to initiate from the card itself.  Thanks for confirming.  8 )

Highlighted
Hiker

@sweetcreek58382 wrote:

@alexm56644  Honestly, I cannot think of a reason where the memory card is at fault for this 'hidden' feature.  If the camera is off, it should be off.  Simple as that.  The card itself cannot be the one to tell the camera to do something or initiate some sort of function.  Even when updating, one has to turn on the camera.  It's not like we just insert the card and the update will start.  It doesn't make sense for any functionality/behavior to initiate from the card itself.  Thanks for confirming.  8 )

Yes I agree, but I read in this forum a gopro employee saying that the camera performs some actions in the Sd after turning it off. And if the sd is wrong then it could get stuck there.

Maybe it was not true but this has been said. Because of this I thought my sd issue could have something to do...

At least I have fixed my sd. Now it is also fast in my macbook and delivers its 90MBs as expected... Small victory.