Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

@sunnyflame01381I totally understand your frustration.  That's exactly how I feel too.  You forgot to mention the all famous do the update again.  LOL

Cheers and have a good weekend.  8 )

Highlighted
Nomad

FW 1.7 - battery still losing % tears :( when is OFF. Maybe not soo quick like 60 to 30 overnight but ~7 % in 3 days.

Highlighted
Tourist

I guess i will be go for a replacement camera from gopro. 

What i really worry is, the replacement camera still having the same issue. Then i don't know what i can do already.

The reason that i worry is because gopro themselves not able to pinpoint to any hypothesis/conclusion. Replacement to them maybe is trial & error. That's why, 

Highlighted
Tourist

The scenario where it drains gradually like a few % over a few days, I can live with.  It's the scenario where out of the blue the camera runs warm/hot and completely deplete the battery within a few hours that I worry about.  I recorded in 4k and the camera was not close to that kind of temperature.  I am concern about a fire hazard.

Highlighted
Hiker

Yeah, I am having the same issues.. battery drain few % each day and than battery flat infew days.. suchna bad thing.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi all

I have discovered one thing that could have been affecting my performance.

After another horrendous result (from 76% to 0 overnight!), I decided to update to 1.7 manually.

So I grabbed my micro sd, inserted it in my macbook pro sd reader and I inmediately noticed that it took ages to copy the update file.

I made some read/write tests and found out that results were awful much worse than expected in a sandisk extreme A2 (2GB file - 6 minutes).

This morning I have tested this micro sd in a windows computer. And then I have found that windows had a problem in recognizing the sd card. I was unable to copy any file. 

So I have just done a windows format and now I can use it normally, copy and read at apparently decent speed.

This evening I will test it in my MBP to confirm that it is now benchmarking properly as it is doing in windows AFTER formatting it (I will copy this 2Gb file again)

I also tested my Hero 7 overnight with 1.7 and WITHOUT sd card getting a 87 to 84% loss in 12hours (which somehow could be acceptable far from this 10-15-55-76% in 8 hours).

I am looking forward to test it with the perfectly formatted card. I really hope this is the issue (at least in my case). In this thread there are cases in which a corrupted SD caused this.

Final remarks: This SD card was new (from amazon), but I first used and formatted it in a Yi 4k camera a month ago. After that, I have formatted it several times in Hero 7 (5-6 times) and did it once in the MBP.

Neither the Hero 7 or MBP explicitly complained about the SD these days. I only noticed this issue because the huge time in transfering files as opposed to my SD extreme pro that I use in my photo camera. 

Just to say that a bad format or sd corruption could be undetected...

Any other similar case? I' recommend to test your sd cards in a windows system and don't trust gopro format option.

Maybe this could be related...

Well, as soon as I test it this next night I'll post results. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Interesting.  But in my case, I check/delete my videos files daily and I have no read/write issue with my sd cards in terms of speed and readability.  I have been using the same cards (newest gen extreme and the previous gen extreme, both Sandisk) for the last 6 months and the power drainage so far seems to be completely random.  I haven't found any coorelation to setting or usage so far.

Highlighted
Hiker

@sweetcreek58382 wrote:

Interesting.  But in my case, I check/delete my videos files daily and I have no read/write issue with my sd cards in terms of speed and readability.  I have been using the same cards (newest gen extreme and the previous gen extreme, both Sandisk) for the last 6 months and the power drainage so far seems to be completely random.  I haven't found any coorelation to setting or usage so far.

This weekend I'll beta test this and report it :)

I am not too confident but at least it is a significant change.