Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

[ Edited ]

Hi @quickhero77554,

Thanks for your advice! But which region are you at? I am at Singapore.

That mean you already got the replacement camera (refurbished) on hand? Do you test it out? Everything looks good?

Because i am very curious if the replacement device can really get rid of all the issues that we have so far, such as battery drain, overheating, freeze & hang due to overheat & so on.

Appreciate & thanks in advace for your inputs.

Highlighted
Tourist

I am considering buying a Hero 7 Black and a SuperSuit for some underwater filming on holiday this Summer. However, this thread is not exactly giving me a lot of confidence. I can understand overheating when the chips are asked to work hard for high res video, but losing significant amounts of battery life when the device is nominally switched off is a deal-breaker for me.

To the point... Is the problem fixed? If not, is it acknowledged by the manufacturer as an outstanding problem? It would seem to be a firmware issue, so I would be reassured if Gopro state they are still working on a fix.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @megamesa26502. Our team is looking into the battery drain issue. We just released a new firmware (V1.7, released today). Please be sure to update to this version. It is also important to test if the battery on your camera runs with the expected battery life when used. Let us know if it does by performing a run time test through instructions here https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/Short-Record-Times . Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for acknowledging the battery drain issue and looking into it.  I will install the update tonight and see if anything change.

Highlighted
Explorer

Strange. I have three HERO7 Black cameras and none have battery drain issues.
Highlighted
Tourist

You might be one of the lucky one.  Not counting the weekend fun rides, I commute 3 times a week to and from work about 1.5 hrs each way.  So my H7s go through quite a bit of use and charge/discharge cycles.  I use it more or less as a dashcam front and back for the commute.  The battery drain/runing warm happened to my 1st H7 that one time 2 (or 3) weeks ago and hasn't happened again.  But then, I started pulling the battery out last week after the same thing happened on my 2nd H7 so the sample timeframe is limited.  I will start to leave the battery in again after I install the update tonight and see if anything changes.

Highlighted
Hiker

I am a newbie on action cameras and want to buy one. I heard the GoPro Hero 7 Black is a good option. However even after reading the Hero 7 Black Battery Issues topic messages I have enough doubts now. First message is on 03.Oct.2018, app. 4 months ago and what I understood is the problem still goes on... As some messages say that the problem is from GoPro 6’s era I started to think if Hero 7 Black will be a good choice. And another thing is that annoying fisheye view. I don’t know what other cameras do but is linear view on 4K videos / 16:9 ratio possible?
Highlighted
Hiker

Hi guys,

still having the battery problem.

Asked for a new battery from the gopro support and tried it. It works perfectly but, when is off, the battery go flat in few days.

WHat I ve monitored is the same:

- battery 100% on sunday evening

- monday evening 99%

- tuesday evening 99%

- wednesday morning 99%

- wednesday afternoon 0%.

I came home from work and the camera was warm ( not hot ).

It looks like it does something randomly when is off.