Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

I just bought a brand new Hero 7 Black & updated to latest firmware. I noticed that the battery provided is the one from China & i am experiencing the fast battery drain as well. 

I bought another gopro battery as spare & it is manufactured by Samsung Vietnam. I will try out by tonight to see if it is having battery drain issue.

If the issue is on the battery itself, i thk gopro need to REPLACE the battery to us rather than keep telling us to MANUALLY update the firmware.

If your firmware need to be MANUALLY update then only can take effect, then WHY will you having online download? This is simply not making sense. 

This should be the issue that you need to FIX it ASAP. To me, manual update & online update SHOULD NOT have any differences at all.

I am a new user to gopro and the battery drain issue is unacceptable. I assume your technology should be mature enough as you are producing hero 7th already.

We spent so much money is to buy quality and conveniency! We are not expected to buy a gopro and still need to help you guys to torubleshoot and do various kind of experiments here and there!

Highlighted
Tourist

@sunnyflame01381 wrote:

I just bought a brand new Hero 7 Black & updated to latest firmware. I noticed that the battery provided is the one from China & i am experiencing the fast battery drain as well. 

I bought another gopro battery as spare & it is manufactured by Samsung Vietnam. I will try out by tonight to see if it is having battery drain issue.

If the issue is on the battery itself, i thk gopro need to REPLACE the battery to us rather than keep telling us to MANUALLY update the firmware.

If your firmware need to be MANUALLY update then only can take effect, then WHY will you having online download? This is simply not making sense. 

This should be the issue that you need to FIX it ASAP. To me, manual update & online update SHOULD NOT have any differences at all.

I am a new user to gopro and the battery drain issue is unacceptable. I assume your technology should be mature enough as you are producing hero 7th already.

We spent so much money is to buy quality and conveniency! We are not expected to buy a gopro and still need to help you guys to torubleshoot and do various kind of experiments here and there!

believe me it is NOT about different batteries. i have new 3 batteries from China or Vietnam and they behave the same... they are being drained while the camera is off. BUT BUT BUT.....I have noticed that not always.. I think that there is sth wrong with switching off the camera... once it is turned off there is no drain and the second time it is ! It is not connected with voice activation or the wifi/bluetooth at all!!! sometimes when i turn it off it gets a little warm so that simply means it is draining... sometimes it remains cold and no drain.

I don't know exactly what is going on but as i see it it has nothing to do with the type of batteries....mayba...i say maybe.... it is what some other said...that battery needs to has some cycles and then it won't drain at all...i don't know

Highlighted
Hiker

@sunnyflame01381

The best "Fix" is to send the Hero 7 back for a refund and try and locate a Hero 5 or 4, or some totally different brand all together.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi @agilevista723, appreciate your info. I have one spare battery (from Samsung vietnam) and i will be testing on it as a compare. 

However to me, there is no excuse to tell a customer that a battery that we purchased NEED to have 'SOME cycles' in order for it to perform as expected.

If it is a known fact, did the battery's datasheet/specsheet stated that the EXACT amount of cycles that a customer need to carry out? If not, they expect customer 'trial & error' depending on our luck? Some people might need 4 cycles, 5 cycles, 10 cycles ... ...? It is totally unacceptable & sounds ridiculous to me and so many customers out there.

If a battery need SOME cycles to perform, to me it is NOT a good battery anymore. And gopro SHOULD NOT use this kind of battery in their flagship model (Hero 7 black). We spent a lot of money on this and as a result ... ...

Highlighted
Explorer

@agilevista723
Inconsistently having battery drain and a warm camera when off is usually do to an issue with the SD card and the camera getting stuck in a loop scanning it.
Highlighted
Hiker

well..if the sd it's the problem than it shouldn't drain if the sd is not inside the camera.

If I take my sd out, it will drain anyway..

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I am unhappy to report that my 2nd H7 just ran warm and completely drained my battery when off.  This is on the latest firmware as well.  It's the same memory card that I have been using the last 6 months so NO, I do not agree it's a memory card issue.  Something is still wrong with the latest firmware.  It looks to be random as this is the first time it happens on this H7 after a month on the latest firmware.  Uninitialized storage, incorrect loop exit condition, etc.  GoPro need to address this.  Dedicate a team or resourse to stress test your product instead of relying on us end users!  Now, I am having concern about fire hazard to the point that I am removing the battery from the GoPro when not in use.  But then I loose all the date and time setting on my videos.  Not happy at all.

Highlighted
Hiker

I agree with you!
from today I only lost 10% but, I am sure, I will find the battery flat in the following days..it seems completely random.
What I know for sure is:
- it's not the battery the problem
- it's not something about setting
- it's not about the sd or temperature ( I keep the camera in my room )
- it must be something with the camera..

They must fix this..I can't believe I spent 400€ on something that doesn't work properly..