Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

@karlifreyre
If the only issue is charging to 98% I wouldn't worry about it. After extended use it will probably get conditioned and start hitting 100%. Honestly, just turning the camera on and changing settings will make the camera drop to 98%, so you're not missing out on much recording time (if any).
Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you @danielr15. The thing is that the battery is going down too fast, I was just checking it for 2 minutes without recording or taking pictures and it was already going to 89%. So I am worried what will happen if I start using it.
Highlighted
Explorer

The best way to test it is real life use.
A better test is to just set it at whatever resolution you normally use and just got record and see how long it last. Using Quick Capture is the best method for conserving battery when filming. Turn your brightness down on the LCD and it will help as well. For whatever reason, scrolling through preferences and settings seems to drain the camera quite a bit.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you, I will use it to check how much time it lasts. Now I turned down all the settings that “use a lot of battery so I hope it will last.
Highlighted
Tourist

Finally after days of tests I found the bug in the camera that in my case was responsable for draining my battery, also when it is turned off.

Actually the bug was all in the voice comand. In a few worlds also when the voice comand were off they actually are in some way "on" in the background ( the GoPro do not respond at the voice comand but I think that the camera work a lot because of this and drain the battery a lot).

The steps for solving this problem are:

-Turn on the camera

-Turn on voice comand

-Say "GoPro turn off"

-Turn on the camera again with the button on the side

-Turn off voice comand

In my case all the problems are gone, and the camera right know is holding the problem fine. I hope that people that are having my same problem will find this usefull. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello, 

Well I tried it and I record a video in 1440/30 and it last almost like 1 hour and a half. In the gopro web page, it says that in this video mode, it should last like 1 hour and 50 minutes aprox. I dont know if I should be strict with what it says in the web page or I can say that my gopro is doing good. 

Also, i changed the place where I charged and it went to 100%, I dont know if this is like a reason but it seems when I changed to this new plug in, it is fine. 

I would really appreciate  @danielr15 if you could tell me what are you thoughts about the time I could record with my gopro (1 hour and 33 minutes). 

Thank you so much 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello, 

Well I tried it and I record a video in 1440/30 and it last almost like 1 hour and a half. In the gopro web page, it says that in this video mode, it should last like 1 hour and 50 minutes aprox. I dont know if I should be strict with what it says in the web page or I can say that my gopro is doing good. 

Also, i changed the place where I charged and it went to 100%, I dont know if this is like a reason but it seems when I changed to this new plug in, it is fine. 

I would really appreciate @danielr15 if you could tell me what are you thoughts about the time I could record with my gopro (1 hour and 33 minutes). 

Thank you so much 

Highlighted
Explorer

It sounds about right to me. No two test generally give the same results, and there are many factors that can come into play, but an hour and a half continuous sounds fine. Not unlike write/read speeds on an SD card, when companies do test it's in laboratory settings in optimum conditions. Even ambient temperature can have an effect.

As far as using a different power source, this makes sense too as the chip in the HERO7 is much more sensitive and protective against inconsistent power. This is also one of the reasons people are having issues when they use inferior cables or cables that are too long.