Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

I was just wondering If anyone when they  got the camera has anyone  charged the battery prior to installing the battery, as I need to know if the battery "can be charged" before installing it in the camera?  As I have a charging unit to charge the battery without putting it in the camera, I just do not want something to go wrong since I have read all these problems with the 07 Black.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Highlighted
Hiker

I was just wondering If anyone when they  got the camera has anyone  charged the battery prior to installing the battery, as I need to know if the battery "can be charged" before installing it in the camera?  As I have a charging unit to charge the battery without putting it in the camera, I just do not want something to go wrong since I have read all these problems with the 07 Black.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @cjn5448,

You can charge the battery anytime. 

The battery issue has been resolved by firmware update last week. 

If ever you encountered battery issue you can update your camera firmware manually.

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for the update graytree76514, as it is always best to ask before you do something, then find out you have problems.  Awesome to hear the battery issue firmware update is fixed.  

Highlighted
Tourist

The Hero 7 crashes if you try to record with an external battery connected.  Is this a known issue?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Explorer

Are you using the GoPro cable that came with the camera? If the power supply isn't sufficient, steady, and maintaining the correct voltage/amps, and/or the cable doesn't meet specs, then yes, the camera will automatically shut off.
Highlighted
Tourist

I'm using the gopro cable through the audio adapter.   Same setup works great with a H5.  I am using a cheap external battery pack.  It does not 'shut down', but rather crashes and restarts I beleive.  It's been a week since I tried it so I will do some more testing. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

@greenboost65412 I have just got my GoPro HERO7 Black and I have put it on to charge today, but there was no percentage increase. What were your results from charging the camera without the SD Card?