Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

3 years later our car gets an updae for software, never did I have issues driving it, so why bother to get that software on it.   Like gopro they never mature their camera's they simply come out with new ones and say they got a better one.   nothing is new here its been that way.   

Love  & hate I hear exactly what you're saying.   this is a great Day time outdoor camera start shootingat low lever other isues are there it is what it is I guess.

Backpacker

i've just realised why i've had no issues, when I picked up my Hero 7 I was impatient & instead of charging it I swapped batteries with my Hero 6. So my naff 7 battery is in the box of bits somewhere

Tourist

Just reporting back after using the H7 for a while now on the C batteries.

- C Batteries still do not charge to 100% using the GoPro dual chargers.  99% or 98%.

- C Batteries will only charge to 100% if they are charged inside the GoPro but take longer than the V batteries

- C Batteries still loses charge sitting there unlike the V batteries, although this seem to have improved with use as reported/suggested by @danielr15.  Battery seem to drop to about 90% over the course of a week and stablize around there.  But I haven't really let it sit for longer than week though, haha.  This is still much better than when I first got these C batteries where they were dropping like 10% over night

- At 100% charge, they don't seem to have any significant less actual run time than the V batteries.

My conclusion is that the C batteries are not up to par as the V batteries but if you use them right after they are charged up, you won't notice any difference.  So my course of action is probably just use it as is.  I will use the C batteries as the first run after charging and my other V batteries as next in line.  I have two H7 with two C batteries.  (If GoPro is reading this and willing to send me new V batteries, I wouldn't say no though)

Other things I have noticed independent of battery manufacturers:

- H7 uses up more electricity than the H6 maybe due to the hypersmooth.  Same setting at 2.7k 60fps with protune on, ISO 800, etc.  I lose about 15 minutes of recording time on the H7 vs H6.

- Time-warp is amazing

- The H7 froze and hang on me like crazy until I updated to 1.51.  I hope GoPro has fixed their instruction on manual update by now regarding mac vs pc or whatever issues/bugs they had with their webpage.

- Auto rotation doesn't work if my bike started in motion already before I press record using quick capture (QC).  Same issue as what I reported in the H6 years ago so they never fixed/addressed it or they just couldn't.  This was one thing I hope they had resolved with the H7 but guess not.

- Hypersmooth stablization gets disabled under QC if camera default mode is set to time warp and the video recording has low light set to on (another on going thread on this https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-Hero-7-hypersmooth-stabilisation-not-working-with-certa... )

- questionable charging behavior if not using the GoPro usb-c cable.  I have some spare anker usb-c cables around the house.  The GoPro charging behavior seems to be erratic when using these cables.  Sometime it charges okay, sometimes it won't charge, sometimes it gets really hot.

Obviously the above is my own experience with my 2 H7.  YMMV.  :)

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm experiencing the same problem.

My set:
- GoPro Hero 7 Black

- 3 batteries

- GoPro Dual Battery Charger

- SD: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB MB-MC128GA/AM
- MacBook Pro USB-C Charger

- GoPro charging cable
- iPhone xs max charger

I've bought brand new GoPro Hero 7 Black with two additional batteries and the Dual Battery Charger

Now, charging the battery through the GoPro the battery didn't reach 100% :( but the same battery charged in the dual battery charger had no issues. And it applies to all three batteries (originally gopro batteries) - I've tried different combinations result is the same - charging through gopro - max 97%, battery charger - 100% and no issues.

Second and the most frustrating part here is the batteries run out after 40-50 mins of recording (2.7k 60fps).

Third issue - sometimes during recording camera gets heat (isn't really really hot or untouchable but still more than usual)

Can you help we with that?

GoPro

Hello Everyone, 

We appreciate you sharing results of your tests on battery performance. All of these have been reported to the team. There is a new firmware version that will be released in early December that is set to fix the issue of the HERO7 Black camera battery not charging to 100%. Please watch out for updates through https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/Software-Update-Release-Information. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

We appreciate you sharing results of your tests on battery performance. All of these have been reported to the team. There is a new firmware version that will be released in early December that is set to fix the issue of the HERO7 Black camera battery not charging to 100%. Please watch out for updates through https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/Software-Update-Release-Information. 

Thanks, 
Marius

@mariustanya

What about the hero 6 black users who have this same issue? I would be willing to bet we are left out in the cold.

GoPro

Thank you for pointing it out, @redwave72846. The information we received was only for the HERO7 Black but I will pass this along to the team. 

Tourist

I am not so sure about using a firmware to address this battery issue.  In my experience, it's the dual charger that is not charging the batteries to 100%.  The batteries do charge to 100% within the GoPro itself, just takes longer time.  So the issue is with the new Chinese made batteries and not the camera itself.  I hope your team is not just lower the threshold on the camera to indicate 100% at a lower voltage reading with your firmware update.  Go back to the Vietnamese Samsung manufactured batteries instead of using the Chinese Dongguan batteries that have shown to be problematic even in other platform like in the DJI drones.