Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

[ New ]

@fonny10This is a popular one on Amazon, tons of reviews and good rating.  It is stated in the questions section that this pack is just under the max rating set by the TSA so you can have it in a carry on https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-Battery-26800mAh/dp/B012NIQG5E/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=wi...

I just picked up this Digipower Re-fuel from BestBuy the other week and like it mainly because I don't have a battery pack dangling from the GoPro while out and about, the down side is it's only 4800 mah but will provide several hours of shooting https://www.bestbuy.com/site/digipower-re-fuel-lithium-ion-battery/6133680.p?skuId=6133680

Each one has it's advantages, I guess it depends on what activity you will be doing to determine which one is right for you.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks a lot for the advice @shawnf. I’m going to take a look at them and see my options. Thanks again for the help!
Anonymous

[ New ]
I’ve started to notice something similar on my less than a day old Hero 7. GoPro, you do not place notification or advertising on the box or in any of the specs that says your products do not work with the most respected and premium card manufacturers. As I see it, you have two options: 1) fix your firmware pronto to accept these cards, or 2) send any of your customers who request it, free replacement cards of identical storage size, that WILL work. Failing that, you are staring down the barrel at some hefty consumer action. I agree with the others here - don’t blame this nonsense on user error. This is GoPro’s issue to fix - no one else’s. BTW, CEO email is nicholas@gopro.com. Perhaps he needs to be informed....
Explorer

[ New ]
Ummm, it's in the manual.
(Page 9)
"For a list of recommended microSD cards, visit gopro.com/microsdcards "

SanDisk, Lexar, Samsung, and Sony are listed as recommended cards (not required, but recommended for best performance). All four of these brands ARE the most respected and premium card manufacturers (Kingston PNY, etc are not).

If someone doesn't read the manual ... pretty good chance for user error.

Nomad

[ New ]

@Anonymous I sent letter to CEO. 

Explorer

[ New ]
Yeah, because GoPro doesn't mind having people inundate their Customer Service with calls about SD card issues. They totally could "fix it" but don't because then they wouldn't have anyone to call them.

It has nothing to do with some SD card manufacturers producing less than stellar SD cards, misleading customers by only posting read speeds and labeling those speeds as "UP TO" (meaning in perfect laboratory settings).

And of course, no SD card manufacturer ever releases batches of cards off the assembly line that are less than stellar in performance or have defects.

Much less common for sure is the amount of counterfeited SD cards. For sure that never happens either.

Explorer

[ New ]
Also, do you know that some cards with fast write speeds are rated differently depending on how they are used? Some have fast sequential write but poor 4K or random write speeds. Some are adapted for mobile phones so perform better at random writes. Not all SD cards are equal in performance, even when listed READ and/or WRITE speeds are the same. In most cases, just like with computer processors, the cards are created to be the premium/fastest card. However, because of defects or other manufacturing issues, most of these cards do not come off the assembly line with a good enough performance. Based on how good (or poor) they perform, the card is then labeled (as in SanDisk: Ultra - poor performance, Extreme - fair performance, Extreme Plus - Better performance, Extreme Pro - Best Performance). This is not unlike Intel Processors where every 'i' processor is created to be an i7, but most end up being an i3 or i5 (i3 and i5 are just i7 that don't perform up to specs).
Explorer

[ New ]
Most people seem to understand that the components of their computer effect performance, get can't seem to grasp this same concept when it comes to cameras (not just GoPro, but also other high performance digital cameras). When inserted, the SD card becomes a part of the camera components.
Adventurer

[ New ]

The H7B needs to mature over time, it may be best to not have purchased until it starts to mature.  The Youtube  People  on Sept 20th are the Pushers for the four features.

• HyperSmooth
  • Super Photo
  • TimeWaprp
  • LiveStream   

They  did also talk about  the 

• Timer, 
  • portrait mode

SInc we're in the Battery thread and talking SD cards,  and these  Youtubers talked about selling points,  maybe one or two talked about stuttering in panning, newly released firmware for the latter, and beta testing  firmware given,    One main Youtber  waschosen to Air Nick@gopro.com and  the rest was history.

So we are not with a Matured camera, and we think the trouble is with a SD card and we should get a  extended warranty until the camera matures. then a free sd card.  Heck it's time to get Coffeee. and let t he troubles continue.

FISH

Explorer

[ New ]
I can only speak to the three HERO7 Black cameras that I currently own and have been using & testing. I have yet to have a freeze, overheat, unresponsive, or battery drain/not fully charging. Very few complaints or reported issues.

@fishycomics, over at https://www.goproforums.com/435-hero-7-black-silver-white/ (where FISH is a moderator) you've got a couple of post lets note the problems the Hero 7 has here and Pros and Cons of the GoPro hero 7 Black . I noticed that very few participants and very few reported issues. On this forum, while there may be pages in a thread, there are very few participants, several reporting no issues, some who never post back (assuming their issue was resolved).

@fishycomics I know that you had some issues and sent your camera back, bummer, but it does seem to me that there are far less complaints about this camera than there were for previous cameras (maybe the HERO3+ had the least, although there were complaints about focal distance). Definitely the HERO4 (overheating and "helicopter noise", SD card), HERO5 (SD card, Heat, freeze, waterproofing, Audio), and HERO6 (SD card, Low Light, Color, Stabilization) had far more. And even with these, MOST of these cameras worked fine and interestingly, I now see people posting how they don't need to upgrade to the HERO7 because their HERO4/5/6 is so great. Interested in hearing your perspective.

Most of the reported "Issues" have been:

People who just needed the correct
SD card
correct cable
A few discharge/recharging cycles of the battery
Understanding of expected battery usage (just because you think it should last longer doesn't mean there is something wrong. 10% in 10 minutes of recording is 60% in one hour, this is to be expected....relax.)
A manual update
Didn't read the manual
Don't understand Hypersmooth EIS ("Slow Panning" Issues)
Don't understand heat generated internally inside a sealed waterproof camera (especially at high resolutions & frame rates) is to be expected (including shut downs with extended recording, especially 4K/60fps inside a car/dash).
Don't understand HEVC, editing, or computer spec requirements
Forgot to lock rear LCD when using the camera in water
Left phone on Wi-Fi calling enabled and had issues with app connection
Couldn't figure out RTMP live streaming
Occasionally there are people who have legitimate manufacturer errors. For these, contact the seller and/or the GoPro Support Team to arrange for an exchange.

So far, the only issue that I've had is the red line that faintly shows mid screen when filming in 2.7K/30fps Superview without stabilization.

I'm not saying people shouldn't post issues, whether real or perceived. I learn a lot from these post as I'm sure others do as well. However, keep in mind a few things about the HERO7 Black:

It is GoPro's #1 selling release date camera
Far more positive reviews posted in comments, YouTube videos, and elsewhere than reported issues
Far less people are motivated to take the time to report satisfaction with a camera, much less to seek out this Support Forum, than those who have an issue are motivated to report a problem or seek a solution.
Considering #1,2, & 3, it's safe to assume that MOST people do not have issues. I can say, just from experience on this site, reddit.com/r/gopro, and looking at reviews and social media, the HERO7 Black has had the least amount of issues of ANY flagship GoPro HERO camera and by far the MOST positive reviews.
If you are having an issue, it matters very little to you if everyone else says their camera is great, I get that. Perhaps knowing this is helpful in determining if your "issue" is expected behavior or not. Mostly though, I think people just want their camera to work as they had hoped. Most of the time, SD card, Manual Update, the correct cable, a few settings changes or the write environment can help to fix the "issue". Sometimes, it's not so much an Issue as it is an unrealistic expectation. Other times, it's a desired feature. And then there are the times when it's legitimately a manufacturer defect. Whatever it is, the community will try to assist you. When we can't, then contact the GoPro Support Team and/or leave feedback.

The HERO7 Black will get better with future firmware updates, but so far, I'm very happy with mine.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Funny, mine didn’t come with a manual. And GoPro are advising on here that SanDisk Ultra don’t work, yet SanDisk is supported? And to have it in the manual doesn’t help since you only access that (whereever it is) AFTER you have purchased the device. The list of cards it doesn’t work with needs to be stated in the specs advertised on buying sites, not hidden within documentation you only get to see after you have bought.
Explorer

[ New ]
@Anonymous
The manual, like most tech devices, is available online. It's available whether or not you own the camera. Most smart consumers check out product manuals and product FAQ BEFORE purchasing. However, even if you didn't do either of these things, when purchasing from GoPro you get 30 days to return the camera for full refund. Surely that is enough time to find and read the manual. You found this site. Product manuals is listed in the same spot.
Explorer

[ New ]
And as far as the SanDisk Ultra is concerned, be mad at SanDisk and whomever sold you that card. They are the ones who mislead you, not GoPro. The Ultra is a budget crap card. Ever wonder why it's so much cheaper than the Extreme Pro or why stores so freely throw them into Package "deal" bundles? It's because they are cheap cards.
Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:
SanDisk Ultra don’t work, yet SanDisk is supported?

Umm, yes.  SanDisk is a brand...the company that makes the Ultra (the model of the card).  They also make other model of cards (Extreme, Extreme Plus, Extreme Pro)  You might also notice that they cost more because they have better performance. You buy cheap, you get cheap performance.

Adventurer

[ New ]
short to the point. About a hero 7. About bat issue. Most are user problems and other. Just saying I read the posts
Tourist

[ New ]

Mine charges to 84% then seems to crash. Even when I unplug the USB cable the lights remain on.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @fireybeach71178

See if the workaround posted by @andrews63 will work on your end.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Go-Pro-Hero-7-multiple-issues/m-p/249767#/M72667

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Adventurer

[ New ]

So  Iam on  a store bought camera, and 3.5 hrs later 100% fully charged,  and yes setting up.  I followed  what I felt is hte correctway of doing things.   to charge the camera first, then to add all else later, sd card is not the  first thing that  goes in thecamera its the next step after a full battery, Lol.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Sorry but this whole thread is ridiculous. Even a Gopro Sales or Support apprentice could reproduce the '100 to 0 bettery drain during one night'-issue. The questions concerning thd sd card are just incredibly stupid. But I guess this is not an error but 'by design'.

I will return my hero 7 and never ever buy a Gopro product.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Pheew. Sadly, today something died in me. And that something was the belief in GoPro's excellence.

I don't know which was worse...

1) purchasing the def-not-the-cheapest but best-of-its-kind action camera after years of waiting in order to record my son's first holiday trip – and realizing that I don't do sh*t with it since it doesn't stay on more than 10 minutes and that it may freeze even sooner OR

2) reading this topic at GoPro support hub and seeing that this really is a common problem – and apparently has been for a while – and GoPro really hasn't taken proper action to fix it.

==========

In some more detail, the horrible experience with my first very own GoPro HERO 7 Black went as follows:

I charged the camera until the red light swiched off and put the SD card in.

We were heading to the beach so I put the camera on and started filming. I took one 3 min 34 sec clip with default settings, then immediately another 3 min 30 sec clip with 4K 30fps.

I tried to change the resolution but the screen froze. Nothing happened no matter what button I pressed. I decided to press and hold power button for a while and the screen shut down.

I tried to turn the camera on but it was completely dead. No light blinked. Nathing happened.

I figured out it may help to take the battery out for a second so I pulled the battery tab which broke immediately. This was really the first time anyone had ever pulled the bat. I think it should last longer than that.

I had no magic tricks left so this is where the first experience ended.

Back at the hotel I googled a bit and found out the general battery problems. Decided to recharge the battery. Hooray – it charges! Maybe there’s still some hope!

I have updated the latest firmware.

I have shut down all wireless connections.

I have shut down voice commands.

I use a SD card supported by GoPro (https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations)

Next try, battery 100% charged:

I put the camera on and removed one clip. This took about 1 minute. 98% battery left.

I filmed a 1-minute clip and switched the camera off.

Five minutes later I tried to turn the camera on but it’s dead again. No reaction no matter what I did.

==========

I just cannot realize how GoPro can sell products that may have these kinds of defects. I have just invested 450€ in a brand new camera that should have been the best there is, but my best action camera during this holiday is my old iPhone.

“It’s not how we make mistakes, but how we correct them that defines us.”

Adventurer

[ New ]

Been doing quite well, with my 2nd round camera fully charged last night, got about 7 clips awoke to Zero  percent., and I am here reporting to the battery issue topic.  Gopro was addressed about three other  Issues and that is as far as they went. one they replied. with oh update firmware and factory reset.  Common  answer to all their issues topics.  The fix was about having the ISO settings placed on, but hte  bug is Auto low light will not correctly display until you back out of the  Protunes and on the main screen.  ANother issue  no one also cared, Lol so not going to  bore you, since I am in here with the batteyr drain issue:

Everything that has to deal with the cameras settings is default and OFF. it deals with Quick capture and Mode on. that would be where this issue is at. the camera is "not" shutting down but the screen is completly off.  If you leave wifi on that will draw x amount of percentage, if you leave gps on that won't draw anything as the camera is off.  I feel Gopro needs to not release a  "Unstable" product and have all of us report a thousand issues.  If GoPro like  Kodak taken  note of the people and hte troubles they reported and then thanked them for these fixes, that they must be doing. and here we are Nov 7th 2017 from Sept 20ish no new firmware..

below is the issue I show.

Yes I spent $400.00 USC plus and am using a SanDisk Extreme Plus 165 plus gb read/90mb write speed card from Bestbuy, perfectly working andfully  formatted, with now the latest FW 1.51.  My last demonstration was  what Stan says was not a dunk test, that I thought did me in Lol    things do happen and they happen for a reason and Gopro has no reason to why this is happening.  but the few cameras they claim they grab and test out is not the answer people are looking for.  A Real resolution  . we are .  time for a firmware re flash. GEE

Hiker

[ New ]

More and more reasons why I am glad I sent mine back for refund. GoPro got me on the hero 6, but not the hero 7. The camera will continue to have issues, maybe due to their gp1 chip or whatever it is called... They will leave customers out to dry with this one while fixing these bugs for the hero 8 black.

Adventurer

[ New ]

3 years later our car gets an updae for software, never did I have issues driving it, so why bother to get that software on it.   Like gopro they never mature their camera's they simply come out with new ones and say they got a better one.   nothing is new here its been that way.   

Love  & hate I hear exactly what you're saying.   this is a great Day time outdoor camera start shootingat low lever other isues are there it is what it is I guess.

Backpacker

[ New ]

i've just realised why i've had no issues, when I picked up my Hero 7 I was impatient & instead of charging it I swapped batteries with my Hero 6. So my naff 7 battery is in the box of bits somewhere

Tourist

[ New ]

Just reporting back after using the H7 for a while now on the C batteries.

- C Batteries still do not charge to 100% using the GoPro dual chargers.  99% or 98%.

- C Batteries will only charge to 100% if they are charged inside the GoPro but take longer than the V batteries

- C Batteries still loses charge sitting there unlike the V batteries, although this seem to have improved with use as reported/suggested by @danielr15.  Battery seem to drop to about 90% over the course of a week and stablize around there.  But I haven't really let it sit for longer than week though, haha.  This is still much better than when I first got these C batteries where they were dropping like 10% over night

- At 100% charge, they don't seem to have any significant less actual run time than the V batteries.

My conclusion is that the C batteries are not up to par as the V batteries but if you use them right after they are charged up, you won't notice any difference.  So my course of action is probably just use it as is.  I will use the C batteries as the first run after charging and my other V batteries as next in line.  I have two H7 with two C batteries.  (If GoPro is reading this and willing to send me new V batteries, I wouldn't say no though)

Other things I have noticed independent of battery manufacturers:

- H7 uses up more electricity than the H6 maybe due to the hypersmooth.  Same setting at 2.7k 60fps with protune on, ISO 800, etc.  I lose about 15 minutes of recording time on the H7 vs H6.

- Time-warp is amazing

- The H7 froze and hang on me like crazy until I updated to 1.51.  I hope GoPro has fixed their instruction on manual update by now regarding mac vs pc or whatever issues/bugs they had with their webpage.

- Auto rotation doesn't work if my bike started in motion already before I press record using quick capture (QC).  Same issue as what I reported in the H6 years ago so they never fixed/addressed it or they just couldn't.  This was one thing I hope they had resolved with the H7 but guess not.

- Hypersmooth stablization gets disabled under QC if camera default mode is set to time warp and the video recording has low light set to on (another on going thread on this https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-Hero-7-hypersmooth-stabilisation-not-working-with-certa... )

- questionable charging behavior if not using the GoPro usb-c cable.  I have some spare anker usb-c cables around the house.  The GoPro charging behavior seems to be erratic when using these cables.  Sometime it charges okay, sometimes it won't charge, sometimes it gets really hot.

Obviously the above is my own experience with my 2 H7.  YMMV.  :)

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm experiencing the same problem.

My set:
- GoPro Hero 7 Black

- 3 batteries

- GoPro Dual Battery Charger

- SD: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB MB-MC128GA/AM
- MacBook Pro USB-C Charger

- GoPro charging cable
- iPhone xs max charger

I've bought brand new GoPro Hero 7 Black with two additional batteries and the Dual Battery Charger

Now, charging the battery through the GoPro the battery didn't reach 100% :( but the same battery charged in the dual battery charger had no issues. And it applies to all three batteries (originally gopro batteries) - I've tried different combinations result is the same - charging through gopro - max 97%, battery charger - 100% and no issues.

Second and the most frustrating part here is the batteries run out after 40-50 mins of recording (2.7k 60fps).

Third issue - sometimes during recording camera gets heat (isn't really really hot or untouchable but still more than usual)

Can you help we with that?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone, 

We appreciate you sharing results of your tests on battery performance. All of these have been reported to the team. There is a new firmware version that will be released in early December that is set to fix the issue of the HERO7 Black camera battery not charging to 100%. Please watch out for updates through https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/Software-Update-Release-Information. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

We appreciate you sharing results of your tests on battery performance. All of these have been reported to the team. There is a new firmware version that will be released in early December that is set to fix the issue of the HERO7 Black camera battery not charging to 100%. Please watch out for updates through https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/Software-Update-Release-Information. 

Thanks, 
Marius

@mariustanya

What about the hero 6 black users who have this same issue? I would be willing to bet we are left out in the cold.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for pointing it out, @redwave72846. The information we received was only for the HERO7 Black but I will pass this along to the team. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I am not so sure about using a firmware to address this battery issue.  In my experience, it's the dual charger that is not charging the batteries to 100%.  The batteries do charge to 100% within the GoPro itself, just takes longer time.  So the issue is with the new Chinese made batteries and not the camera itself.  I hope your team is not just lower the threshold on the camera to indicate 100% at a lower voltage reading with your firmware update.  Go back to the Vietnamese Samsung manufactured batteries instead of using the Chinese Dongguan batteries that have shown to be problematic even in other platform like in the DJI drones.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Yeah the mod posted in  a mulltiple threads stoking us on Firmware. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I returned my hero 7 to bestbuy because of the battery, GPS and freezing issues.
I'll revisit in the spring and see what fixes are available but the reason I paid the premium price was to get the very best camera that just works. I shouldn't have to deal with manual firmware installs and workarounds.
I wanted the gopro for my track bike and waited past the end of the season for the 7 to come out. Extremely disappointing.
Adventurer

[ New ]

I stick wit hteh Matured Gopro Hero 6 Black you'll be happy or wait like said till the Hero 7  Matures and when it does  you may wan to start thinking about the Hero 8 Black and we'll back to square one in Sept of 2019.

Tourist

[ New ]

Exactly what @fishycomics said here.  They will never mature or fully fixes all of the problems in any one of these models.  I reported some issues with the H6 and the problems are still there in the H7.

Hiker

[ New ]
Buenas noches.
Ayer me han entregado una gopro HERO 7 black nueva, ya que la anterior venia con un defecto irreparable que ya he comentado en otro post.

La nueva cámara no alcanza el 100% de batería.
La he actualizado hoy mismo, la he puesto a cargar y se queda en 99%. No llega al 100%.

No puedo creer que en menos de un mes haya tenido dos cámaras defectuosas.

¿Hay alguna solución?
Nomad

[ New ]

@cutilloso,

yes, run the camera/battery through a few full charge/discharge cycles. (to put it simply, turn the camera on and set it recording video and leave till the battery runs out, repeat this a 3-5 times ideally) that should sort out your issue.

Hiker

[ New ]
I had battery drain issue also with the Gopro 7 black where I would change it upto 100 percent only to find it on 0 percent on the next day even after updating the firmware .
After contacting support, they asked me to do a MANUAL update and so far it seemed to solved the problem.
Adventurer

[ New ]
I double check when making a selection that it does not back out to the existing selection
Hiker

[ New ]
Buenos días.
Gracias por la respuesta.
Esta mañana me he traído la cámara al trabajo y la he dejado grabando a 1080/60fps hasta que se apague. Ha hecho una grabación de 1h:40m.
La batería parece que funciona bien.
Ahora la tengo cargando y a la espera de ver si llega al 100%.
Anoche, antes de acostarme formateé la tarjeta sd (completo), restaura la gopro a fábrica y actualicé manualmente. Luego volví a restaurar.
No he podido comprobar aún si llega al 100%, estoy en ello.
Hiker

[ New ]
Voy a entregar la cámara (otra vez) a la tienda donde la he comprado.
Ayer se quedaba en el 99%, hoy en el 98%.
No sube al 100%.

La verdad es que no entiendo como pueden ocurrir estos fallos. Noto la cámara muy inestable. Gopro está bajando el listón.

Y todo eso sin meter la cámara en el mar o en condiciones extremas.
Nomad

[ New ]
@crappy,

You would really need to cycle the battery a couple of times to try and resolve it.
Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same issues. I try to charge it all day and the battery still at 98%. When you are recording sometimes the battery sign 0% if you switch off and on the battery return at for example 80%.
Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @lorenzolacop,

Have you tried resetting the camera and install a new firmware manually?

After that you may try to drain the battery and charge it without Wi-Fi and Voice command on. 

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]
Pues si, probé de todo
Pero problema zanjado, me han vuelto a dar otra gopro.. si, 3 gopros 7 en menos de un mes.
Ya me da mal rollo probar la nueva, aquí la tengo en la caja aún.
He querido devolverla por el dinero pero me he olvidado la tarjeta.
Sin duda, creo que será la mejor opción y continuar con la HERO 4.
Anonymous

[ New ]

My HERO 7 battery was the Vietnamese version made by Samsung. Also a complete failure (like Chinese ones). So I'd say it's not only a battery issue then.

Explorer

[ New ]
New firmware update is scheduled for early December. It should address this issue.
Hiker

[ New ]
Buenos días. Comento:
Como he comentado, es la tercera gopro que tengo tras dos defectuosas.
Esta última, nada más abrirla de la caja la he empezado a usar hasta agotar la batería, sin actualizar ni nada.
Una vez apagada la he puesto a cargar y se quedaba en 97%.
La he desconectado y actualizado a la 1.51.
Tras la actualizacion, la he puesto a cargar con el fin de comprobar si llegaba al 100%. Se quedaba en el 98%.
Al día siguiente, la he dejado grabando todo el rato hasta que la batería se agotase e inmediatamente la he puesto a grabar.
Cuando he ido a mirarla, los Leds estaban apagados y la batería estaba al 100%.
Espero que todo vaya bien con esta tercera cámara.
Iré comentando
Adventurer

[ New ]

Firmware is going to be released in December, no oneknows the date. early, mid, late and will it fix.  No one knows.

Explorer

[ New ]

@fishycomics

When? Smiley LOL