Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

@sweetcreek58382

I chose  a broken camera and knowing that from the get go.  The only option you have now would be to ask before you act. and ask them about an exchange. and how it will be sent out, before you  accept and will you  be allowed a full refund  if the exchange is unsatasfactory?  If it is a simple battery issue I   get a new battery  and go fro mtehre if it is more then a battery then I know my decision.

Highlighted
Tourist

@fishycomicsThanks for the info.  If I can resolve the orientation problem, then the only remaining problem I have (at the moment) is the battery issue which I would be okay to exchange a new one from them.  I haven't even try any of the other fancy features yet and not hopeful those are bug free.

Highlighted
Adventurer

I may overlooked that issue you said so myBad not commenting on it but preference can lock it?  I certainly check time warp out and see if it does not lock you up, as well 4k@60 hypersmooth over heating andshutting down...

Highlighted
Tourist

@fishycomics  Are you kidding me with these problems?!?  The orientation problem I have is under preference->landscape.  It can be set to 'off', 'up', or 'down'.  The icons and the front screen image would rotate properly with each of these settings.  However, the videos always come out right side up.  So it's like the actual video is always stuck in the 'up' setting.  My main use for the camera is mounting it in front of my bike in the upside down position under my Garmin GPS.  So it's not useful at all for me if it's stuck to only being able to record in the 'up' setting.  I also use time lapse (warp now) so will definitely check that out.  I don't really need 4k@60 hypersmooth but will check that out as well.  Thanks for the headsup.

Highlighted
Tourist

1. What brand and type of sd card you using? Method of manual update collect? Can you tell us how you do it? We might could help you up.
a) make sure your sd card is formatted and clean.
b) create a folder with folder name "UPDATE" in the sd card.
c) extract update file you downloaded from gopro website.
d) copy the 3 extracted update file into the "UPDATE" folder you created previously.
e) insect the sd card into you gopro and switch on and let it run automatically. (made sure your battery is enough juice).
f) if above doesnt success. Check you sd card file system fat for 32gb, exfat for 64gb. If you are not sure, format your card using gopro and delete all the auto generated file by gopro in the sd card and followed by step B above.

2. Check you device setting also. In display setting
the landscape mode. Does it set to off, up or down?

If above still cannot resolve your problem, from my technical point of view you have a faulty unit. Send back to gopro ask them preform the update for you more easy and faster and I'm sure they are more GO-PRO than us. We just the end user. If they cannot success too, ask for new replacement.
Highlighted
Tourist

Landscape mode by default is OFF
Highlighted
Tourist

@fastwater53165I tried all settings.  As I indicated, the icons (battery bar, disk spaces, time, etc) and the front screen image would rotate accordingly to the different settings.  'Off', everything is dynamic and rotate as you rotate the camera.  'Up', they are locked in the up position.  'Down', they are locked in the inverted position.  So at least the screens image orientation is right.  However, the videos I record always come out in the 'up' setting.  This seem to be an issue that was resolved with the 1.51 update which I have already done.  But I am suspecting the update might not have gone through properly so I am going to try that next again.  I already went through hours of frustration trying to update it the first time around and finally got Quik desktop to do it.

But it seems like manual update is the right way to go and according to multiple source, it's the UPDATE folder that I need to move to the sd card.  I could not get manual update to work and you know why?

https://gopro.com/support/hero7-black-product-update

Because the offical GoPro site stated it in red the following: "Be sure to move the files inside of the UPDATE folder to the root level of the microSD card only. Do not move the UPDATE folder itself."

I am going to try updating the firmware again maybe tonight or tomorrow once I verify the batteries behavior.  Sorry to thread jack this and thanks for all the help guys.

Highlighted
Tourist

Yeap. Gopro was right. It's was meant to said not the update zip folder. It's clear mention Only the update folder.