Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

[ Edited ]

BTW: Can I buy and use GP5, GP6 battery to GP7?

Which you recommend as second for GP7 ? (would be better if will not be GP - it is my personal punishment ;) They cheated me and took my money and trust as well.

I am mad as hell but living with little spark of hope that next firmware makes me proude user of GP7....

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Apologies I forgot to put that once manually updated, I turned off WIFI, GPS and Voice Control as I typically do not use it (unless on the odd occasion wanting to view on the App).

And still had the battery drain of 50% overnight, i assume this is not meant to be normal?

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

Make a test:

0. Check battery status and remember it
1. Turn off cam
2. Put out battery
3. Put in battery
4. DO not turn it ON
5. Check battery status after night

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

I have Voice Command and GPS turned off BUT Wifi turned ON, and if I turn the unit off, it will still drain to 0% eventually. This seems illogical to me. 

Besides voice command, if everything else is turned off, the software should shut everything else down if I turn off the unit...how hard is that? Having to turn WiFi on and off continually as to avoid draining the battery is a big flaw IMO. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Guys. Remember to turn off function like wireless, voice command GPS wake up command with will drain off your battery. It's normal for me because its in standby mode and bare in mind its only 1220 mah battery. ITS NORMAL.

Rather than not having battery full charge using gopro itself doesn't made any sense. An article regarding litium battery is that calibration can carried out by totally empty and recharge back few time will solve the problem.

For newbie with gopro. Shall you notice your gopro start to lag and you are using recommended card. Formatting sd card using gopro sometime will work sometimes not then You will need to perform full formatting sd card using computer and took long time compare to quick formatting (all camera devices even smartphones most of it are performing quick formatting). Do some research quick formating vs full formatting of sd card then you will know more further about it. Cheers
Highlighted
Nomad

@mikea7050

Have you tried charging your battery without the SD card, and then seeing if it drains when you leave it?

I did this and mine stopped draining while turned off, and I have WIFI and Voice Commands ON.

Highlighted
Tourist

I don't have any of the wifi, gps, voice command turned on on mine.  And remember, I am testing it on the same Hero 7 with the 2 different brands of batteries so at least for my case, the China battery is definitely the only difference.  I have played with RC Lipo batteries and gone through a few laptops over the last 20+ yrs so I have plenty experience with how a bad/dying lithium battery behaves.  These China batteries are exhibiting all of the symptoms.  Not charging to full, not holding charge, erratic % when in use, etc..  They might be recycled batteries on the market or they just have horrible internal resistence.  So far, this makes it 3 for 3 for the China batteries in the span of 3 weeks.  That's some very good luck wouldn't you say?  While I have none of these issues with the Vietnam batteries dating from 2016 to 2018.  I have 7 Vietnam batteries right now and they all charge to 100% and would not drop charge over the span of a week.  I just came back from my trip so I know.  Also, the manul update doesn't work for me either.  I have downloaded the files 4 different times on 2 different computers.  None of them worked.  I have updated the Hero 6 before and no issues there so I know the process.  I tried system reset and everything to start over and I am not getting anywhere.  As I read online also, I am not the only one having problem with updaing either so GoPro clearly did not do a good job testing their product before releasing and that's what I am very disappointed at.

I do have a question though, my Hero 7 is currently at 1.51.  Will it update itself to 1.51 again?

Highlighted
Explorer

Ok, so approximately 36 hours since my three HERO7 Black cameras were last used and then turned off, there doesn't seem to be any battery drain on my cameras. All three have the Samsung manufactured battery. Voice commands are off on all three but connections (WiFi), GPS, and Quick Capture are on.

I checked all of my batteries (which turned out to be nine) and only one is not Samsung. It has a manufacture date of 2017, so I'm fairly certain it's the one that came with my HERO6. I swapped it with the battery in my HERO7 and plugged it in to charge, however the LED didn't turn on to indicate charged. I removed it and connected via my dual Charger, but the lights went green indicating a full battery. I put this battery in my HERO7. Will have to wait to see if I get any issues with it. This battery was in my primary camera bag, so I'm pretty sure it's been making it into the rotation and is getting used