Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Auto rotation

The videos seem to play OK (right side up) when they are imported into the PC, I think this is due to some metadata setting that flips it the correct way up. Issue happens when I try to combine the videos, and it loses that metadata setting, I have a merged video file that is rotated 180 (upside down) which needless to say, would not look great on YouTube.
Highlighted
Explorer

[ Edited ]

What do you mean when you, "try to combine the video"? If you are combining, then you are adding clips to an editor and exporting an entirely new video. Obviously the newly created video won't have meta data from the clips used. If you are having issues, it's with your editor.

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes, but if in previous Hero versions, my understanding is that the camera sensor would figure out which was the 'right side up' and have the video saved in the correct orientation, without the need for the metadata to be set as '180'. Combining videos then wouldn't be a problem and would be exported in 'correct side up' orientation videos.

Highlighted
Explorer

[ Edited ]

I've accidentally flipped my cameras after the recording started, creating a video that exports from the camera upside down (as it correctly should do since the rotation started after the recording).  When I combined that clip with other clips with correct orientation, i select the clip and change the orientation to 180 in the editor.  This really isn't that hard.  I don't know what editor you are using, but it must be very basic and simplistic if you can't perform this feature. 

As far as previous GoPro cameras....I'm pretty sure it's always been done through the processing post sensor capture.  The sensor is a fixed object and just captures light and transmits it to the processor.  It's the processor that decides what to do with the data and utilizes meta data to convey the media structure (resolution, frame rate, orientation, etc.,).  That meta data is then used by the video player/editor to properly display the media.

Highlighted
Tourist

What editor are you using?

Highlighted
Hiker

That's the whole point I do not want to edit my video..I use RAW footage..... GoPro please fix this!!
Highlighted
Sightseer

I've been fooling with this on my Hero 7 Black. If you set Landscape Lock to Down (Preferences > Touch Display > Landscape Lock - Down) the videos come out right side up (when you shoot upside down, as I do with my suction cup mount). This doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. It should work the same way if set to Auto.

Highlighted
Hiker

I haven't never tried that about what you were talking about locking it in the down position so I went into my hero GoPro 7 and I locked it in down position and start recording upside down and still the footage is still upside down...I guess I'll just continue to be using my GoPro 6 if I want to film upside down!!