Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 7 Black Auto rotation

[ New ]

Hi All i Purchased a hero 7 last week ,did a day of recording on my dirt bike helmet peak upside down auto rotation on, checked that back screen and front lcd shows correct orientation while recording only pressed record once this was confirmed.. got home to import on quik ..everything upside down have to manuall rotate to watch but will have to re encode all footage with proper orientation to view on other hardware devices..what gives?

Capture.JPG
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black Auto rotation

[ New ]

Hi @boomtheroom

Have you tried resetting the camera to its default settings?

Or you can check the orientation settings:

Preferences > Landscape Lock > Auto | Up | Down

Thanks!
Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Yea tried auto then other options.. makes no difference.. if footage is taking with camera upside down it plays upside down in quik :->

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @boomtheroom

I have tried a couple of tests just now and Quik was able to play the files correctly.

I did a recording with my camera upside down, landscape lock option selected as DOWN.

Kindly set the option to Down then try to record some files.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hi @boomtheroom

I have tried a couple of tests just now and Quik was able to play the files correctly.

I did a recording with my camera upside down, landscape lock option selected as DOWN.

Kindly set the option to Down then try to record some files.

Thanks!

Ej

Yea Quik in the later version can do this.. the older version and some older hardware cannot read the meta data to do this and relies on athe actual capture being recorded in the right direction like the older goprpos did.. fix would be allow landscap lock to actuall record the media in the respective orientation not record it the same orientation and just use extra data to tell software how to play it?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @boomtheroom

I have recorded a video using a HERO4 Silver and was able to rotate the file using Quik for mobile.

Select RAW then on trim option, choose Manual.

If you wish to, uou may remove the music added on your edit.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hi @boomtheroom

I have recorded a video using a HERO4 Silver and was able to rotate the file using Quik for mobile.

Select RAW then on trim option, choose Manual.

If you wish to, uou may remove the music added on your edit.

Thanks!

Ej

no problem with the hero 4 this applies to hero 7 im talking about

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @boomtheroom

You should be able to rotate HERO7 files as well.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Is this bug or feature ?

as I understand the video is always recroded in one orientation ?

GoPro

[ New ]

This is a feature @greenstorm0212

On the HERO7 Black's main screen, swipe down then go to Touch Display.

Tap on Landscape Lock then select your preferred option.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
I just purchased the hero 7 as well and it when I record upside down it plays fine on the LCD screen but when I hook it up to my computer or TV it plays upside down it's not playing right on the playback!! help!!
Hiker

[ New ]
There is no Auto setting for this it does say off which I'm assuming is Auto but when I play back the videos after recording on my TV or my computer it will playback upside down no matter what I use it on it plays back upside down but it does not play back upside down on the GoPro 7????
Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]
I also have a hero 6 and I do not want to have to edit my videos to turn them upside down because the auto rotation will not play... Now on the hero 6 I can turn the camera upside down start recording and it stays like that it's fine and then when I play it back it's right side up like it's supposed to be just like it shows on the screen but the hero 7 that I have just purchased does not do that when I turn the camera upside down and I start to record it shows on the screen that is recording you know right side up but when I go to play it back on my TV or my computer the video is upside down I do not want to edit it and turn it the right side it should automatically be like this just like it is on the hero 6
Hiker

[ New ]
I had the same problem with my hero 7 and I spent hours on text chat with GoPro support and we did everything we could do even took my chip out of my hero 6 and tried it....we reset everything twice....we tried to reinstall the software manually and still it was doing the same thing so I just ended up taking my go pro-7 back to GoPro..... they offered to take it back for a exchange for a new one so we'll see what happens when I receive my new camera???? Hope they fix this issue!!
Adventurer

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]
The video has been removed????
Adventurer

[ New ]

Yes sorry I got interrupted. was demo'ing   of replicating etc.. sorry

Hiker

[ New ]

A new one wont fix it!!!. it is implemented into the hero 7 firmware..

instead of actually recording it in the correct orientation (depending on the camera orientation) unlike the old gopros.. the 7 only tells the software playing the footage which way to play it ...ie some older software and hardware wont understand this so if u record it with the camera upside down it will play it upside down...ie my computer media player played all my footage i took on my dirt bike helmet peak upside down, all upside down.. untill i updated it to the latest version .. now it will play back with the correct orientation... i have requested that in a new firmware update that the hero 7 has a manual override to actually record it in what orientation(rather than just tell sortware what way to play it)the way you choose ,so i will be correct no matter what you play back the footage on ..

Tourist

[ New ]
@boomtheroom wrote:

A new one wont fix it!!!. it is implemented into the hero 7 firmware..

i have requested that in a new firmware update that the hero 7 has a manual override to actually record it in what orientation(rather than just tell sortware what way to play it)the way you choose ,so i will be correct no matter what you play back the footage on .

Did they accepted this change? or should be sign a petition))) ?

or maybe report this as well

Explorer

[ New ]
Report as what?
Adventurer

[ New ]

gopro.om/feeback, they'll look at 

feedback ii.png

Explorer

[ New ]
Should have added, "So you can go out of business since your current HERO6 Black camera owners will have no motivation to upgrade."
Adventurer

[ New ]

wait so my Hero 4 black was never a  thought?

Tourist

[ New ]

same problem here.... no matter what setting i choose in landscape lock , it only affects the screen... if camera is upside down then the footage is recorded upside down.... please check it out in next firmware update because its a major bug...

Adventurer

[ New ]

Let me step back a giant step back

If I am   with the camera at factory settings and I am ready to take my ever so first recorded video. I turn on my camera at the default settings:

Untitled.png

Now if I take my camera change Touch-Display to Up  & Down  you are incorrectly getting your  thumbnails?  If I were to   start ???

Explorer

[ New ]
The "problem" seems to be that some people want the sensor to physically rotate inside the camera instead of having the metadata instruct the orientation. If course, this isn't going to happen, but apparently it's being seen as an issue.
Sightseer
Sightseer

[ New ]
Same thing here, just made a complain at GoPro hopping to fix it soon!!
Adventurer

[ New ]

that olesaying can not please people heck some one is going to get pleased when they fix it.  keep stoked. best thing we can say for now.

Explorer

[ New ]
I owe you some kudos Fish. I'll hit you up later when I get a chance. 😉
Adventurer

[ New ]

you got the C-note   . now.

FISH (smiles)

Hiker

[ New ]
GoPro was the one that recommended me to turn my GoPro 7 back in and they're going to completely give me a brand new GoPro 7 to replace the one I sent in....I agree it's probably the firmware but this is what they suggested..... So I guess by the time I get my new GoPro 7 back maybe they'll have an update for it...
Hiker

[ New ]
I have a GoPro 6 black as well and it plays fine on playback. if I record upside down it plays on my computer and my TV like it's supposed to be.. so I hope GoPro is working on an update for the gopro 7.
Tourist

[ New ]
Danielr15 so u think That the problem is what People are asking? Maybe its logic for you that All older gopro and 50€ chinese cams to be able to do it and not gopro flagship....
Hiker

[ New ]
Same issue here. Gimball effect is only on display of gopro 7 black. Not on footage....
This is where I bought it for...
Hiker

[ New ]
I agree pieterc185 this is why I bought mine too...but I have to use my GoPro 6 black instead of the GoPro 7 black for now..until they fix this issue
Hiker

[ New ]
Hopefully Gopro will fix this soon.
They know about the issue for months now....
For now the 7 black is a downgrade for me.
Do you think they will fix this issue?
Tourist

[ New ]

Orientation is set when you start recording. If your Gopro is upside down when you hit the record button. Your footage will playback correctly. I don't see why this is never explained when these issues come up

Hiker

[ New ]

I've posted my question in a new topic.

I should have explained my issue better is this topic though...

I quess my new topic shows the "issue" even better. I added several images.

You can watch it here: The topic I started

My questions still are:

- Why can the image be correct on the lcd display of the gopro 7 black, while filming, and why isn't it (i.e. on the same display) while playing?

- Several youtube video's about the "gimbal effect" do show a steady horizontal horizon. How can I get this effect on the footage?

Thank you!

Tourist

[ New ]

I bought GoPro Hero 7 Black, have the same problem with upside down video recording..

I do not get to "Down" or "Up" options.

When I chose Touch Display > Landscape >off/On, I do not see any options for down/up.

Can someone guide me through?

Thanks

GoPro

[ New ]

redsurf18142,

When it is turned off you'll be able to use portrait mode and landscape.

When landscape lock is on you'll be allowed to use landscape mode. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

Any update on this? I just bought the Hero 7 Black, and I am going to use it to record flights in my plane. I was going to mount it upside down from the ceiling looking at the panel and out the front window. Is this going to be a problem? Will the video play upside down? 

Also, when I lock it into landscape mode, and I'm using it upside down, should I choose up or down? This whole subject is really confusing. 

Explorer

[ New ]
If the camera is always going to be update down, lock the landscape to down. The video will play fine as long as the media player is updated and had the correct codecs (AKA, it will play fine on most players).
Tourist

[ New ]
So then I assume everything should be fine editing in iMovie and uploading to Youtube?
Explorer

[ New ]
Yes
Hiker

[ New ]
I strongly disagree... It's not going to play right on most players!!! Unless GoPro has updated the GoPro 7 black it's still going to play upside down on most players!! No matter if it has the latest update.. the correct codecs etc etc
Explorer

[ New ]
It will appear correct in iMovie and export fine for sure. Plays fine on all of my devices; however, if the clips are going to be edited anyway, then it really doesn't matter as the orientation can be flipped if need be.
Tourist

[ New ]

Having the same issue here. Does any one know how I can easily rotate the videos? I am trying to have the multiple video clips rotated 180 degrees and combined into one large clip so that I can have it uploaded to YouTube.

Any ideas?

Tourist

[ New ]

I did get my 7 and created a video in the landscape locked down position and recorded one upside down. It did import and play correctly as in right side up in Quik.

Tourist

[ New ]
The videos seem to play OK (right side up) when they are imported into the PC, I think this is due to some metadata setting that flips it the correct way up. Issue happens when I try to combine the videos, and it loses that metadata setting, I have a merged video file that is rotated 180 (upside down) which needless to say, would not look great on YouTube.
Explorer

[ New ]

What do you mean when you, "try to combine the video"? If you are combining, then you are adding clips to an editor and exporting an entirely new video. Obviously the newly created video won't have meta data from the clips used. If you are having issues, it's with your editor.