Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 Black 256gb Micro SD card not formatting

What four different cards? Did you format the 128GB card in the same manner with your computer?

Have you tried with a card that you didn't format in your computer?

Robert posted his video, how about you post yours of the formatting in your computer and in the camera with all four cards.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Betreff: Hero 7 Black 256gb Micro SD card not formatting

Hello, i've got the same issues with the 256gb EVO Plus. It starts formatting, the cam displays "formatting" for hours. After more then one hour i stopped the procedure because the cam started being hot. I tried it again with a SanDisc 32gb and everything works fine.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Please post up a video:

Do do this in a card slot reader and an up to date machine.

1. format your card like so in this Photo , it will take 2 hours.

format.png

2. then reformat the card again that will take a few seconds to a minute with QUick format

3, then  in the camera  go to reset, format.

WHen you do all this and your camera and or card fails, then you   have a problem.  SInce you said the lower cap card that came, with your gopro works ( the one you purchased). and the 256gb does not, then it is your card.

Gopro will chime in and  tel lyou :

A) recommended card

B) flash to the latest firmware

C) get to support

those are the  troubleshoots,  of  GoPro.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I am Having Exactly the same problem.. Purchased exactly the same Samsung 256 Evo Plus SD card as recommended by Go pro..

Formats fine on my mac for my Go pro Hero 3, or my DJI Drone.. but will not work in the Go pro Hero 7?  Then when i try and re format on the Go Pro hero 7 as it requests.. It just times out and we are back to the start.

I just made sure the Go pro had the latest software update (which it does) , but it makes no difference.. HELP>>

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @grantb72

Hi @grantb72

While it may work with different devices, you may check with Samsung regarding the card's authenticity.

We have worked with some customers with the same issue and found out that it was the card that is causing the issue.

You may also test another recommended SD card with your HERO7 Black.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

I got a fake Samsung 256gb EVO plus microSD card and experienced the same forever formatting issue. I returned it to Amazon and got a Samsung 256gb EVO plus microSD card  from BestBuy and it worked flawlessly fresh out of the package.

Check the edge of the card - if it was manufactured by Samsung the edge will be white.  A black edge is a good sign that you have a fake.