Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 6 won't import files to Mac

this sounds fishy to me.  i'm connecting via USB to my macbook pro, no reader on there.  recognizes the gopro 6, but doesn't see any videos to download.  i've tried imovie, photos, and image capture.  this method worked fine on my go pro 4 & 5, not 6.  could it b anything to do with macbook or gopro software updates?  this new apple hvsc standard?  i'm lost??

Highlighted
Explorer

Have you tried with a SD adapter?
You should see a folder called DCIM and within it, your video files. You want to try an adapter so your SD card is seen as a drive instead of connecting through MTP, which it does when you connect the camera. If you see the folder and files, then there might be an issue with the drivers or the way your computer is handling the MTP connection.
Highlighted
Tourist

i don't want to use an sd adaptor nor do i want to buy one for a brand new macbook pro...and a brand new gopro 6...how backwards is this??? this is the most basic of gopro functions post taking a pic or a vid.  wtf?? i can't comprehend how i can't take the usd cord and connect to the macbook, device is recognized, yet not media?  media is found on go pro app on my phone.  this has to be a software issue...and i'm pretty sure it is not apple.  go pro needs to make their stuff work with apple, not the other way around.  this is why gopro stock is a fvking DOG...below $8 and apple is reaching new highs...absolutely pathetic.  this method worked with every other gopro....spent an hour on this last night...super upset for something so beyond simple.

now we hear gopro in firing karma developers...this company is so poorly run, so sad.  i'm a surfer too...nick..give it up and hire the right people, you built a great thing, we love gopro, but it has to be simple and just work...it has never been either...yet you have succeeded in some way because we love the videos...do something to make the UI just work...i thought the 6 was a huge step in the right direction until this...and, i digress, i can't even rename it...WTF? that is the most insane software miss of 2017...how can you take away the ability to rename your wifi...backwards!!!

Highlighted
Explorer

USB adapters are cheap. MacBook USB ports are known to fail, so don't be so sure it's not the computer. If it's a new MacBook Pro it could be the USB-C to USB adapter https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter . Seems a lot of people are having issues connecting devices with it.

A couple things you can try:

Reset the Mac system management controller. Hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time from the Macbooks keyboard. Release all keys and the power button at the same time.

Open up Image Capture, plug your camera into your computer and power the camera on. Once you see the USB symbol on your camera, take a look at Image Capture and you should see your camera under devices. If you don't see the camera listed under devices in Image Capture, but you are seeing the USB symbol on your camera, then there could be a physical issue with the camera itself and I would reach out to the support team. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Highlighted
Tourist

after wasting my time calling gopro support (over an hour) and downloading Quik for the desktop, nothing worked.  will have to go back in time, perhaps a decade or more, and try a SD card reader...this is 2018! seriously?  the latest and greatest offering from GoPro can't communicate properly via USB with Apple??  come on..unreal.

therefore, i will try on my iMac later today, it has a VINTAGE SD card reader on the back.  if this works, i will buy an adaptor for using with my late 2017 macbook pro.  

u can't make this stuff up folks, this is why they fired 300 today and the stock in in the sh..ter for 3 years...absolutely pathetic!

before i buy an adaptor...because even a panasonic camera can talk via USB, if the download is successful with the SD reader on the iMac, i may reformat the card because it was previously used with my gopro 4...perhaps that could be it??  

so to recap, image capture, photos, and quik, all recognize my gopro 6, but none can view the media...although, quik knows i have 48% left of storage on my card.  and i can view, edit and download via the gopro app on my iphone 7plus

just can't get my imac or macbook to see the media.  will report back.  both bother calling gopro on this...absolutely a waste of time.

Highlighted
Tourist

thanks danielr15, just a quick update...i've updated my macbook pro and my gopro 6 has the latest update...everything absolutely works, but no media can be viewed or downloaded.  even tried swapping 3 separate usb-c cables...2 were go pro and one was third party...all the same results.  using able usb to usb-c adaptor...99.9% sure it is not that as it works for everything else i own...and i said it recognizes the 6.  as a example, Quik is saying 48% of the card is left (meaning 52% used) yet i can't view any of it to make an edit.

Highlighted
Explorer

One issue I've noticed on Quik desktop app is it doesn't always delete the lvr and thm files leaving the card as reading partially used. Are you absolutely sure your photos/ videos didn't import into your photos folder, perhaps under a different date? Formatting the card in your computer or camera should help, but you will lose any media that might be stored on it.

Using an adapter should make the card recognized as a drive instead of a media device. If the adapter doesn't work there is something gong on with the card or port as the camera will have nothing to do with your computer's ability to read the drive.
Highlighted
Explorer

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with this. I use Windows so I don't have much experience trouble shooting for Macs. I've been to the GoPro office in Carlsbad and noticed they almost exclusively used Apple computer's so I'm surprised their cameras would have issues connecting.