Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 6 very slow saving images

I'd forgotten about all the growing pains that came with the Hero 3 when I bought that camera.

Brand new Hero 6, brand new super-duper GoPro-recommended high-speed Sandisk microsd card.

When taking a still image this new camera takes about 3 seconds to save/write the file. What gives? This happens if I have zero image processing enabled or Protune/HDR bells and whistles processing enabled, doesn't matter, takes a long time for this camera to write it's files. 

This isn't right.

Solutions other than returning the **bleep** thing and getting something else?

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 6 very slow saving images

If you need rapid fire photos you should be using Burst.

Auto (up to 30 photos in 1 second)
• 30 photos in 1, 2, 3, or 6 seconds
• 10 photos in 1, 2, or 3 seconds
• 5 photos in 1 second
• 3 photos in 1 second

Highlighted
Tourist

I appreciate the reply but this isn't the answer I was searching for. Burst certainly is an option, depending upon context, also HDR is disabled with Burst.

Is it safe to assume this behaviour of the glacial pace of a saving a single still image is normal?

I should add that I did update the camera firmware immediately upon receipt. Thanks.

Highlighted
Adventurer

WIth the Hero 5 Black I can comment and should hold true for the Hero 6 as well:

make sure you are on the proper feature and functions;

Mode On/photo,  Camera (photo) on Photo  12mp FOV linear.  These are my settings.

The camera will electronically take a photo and done within  a second  plus, from start to finish.  Sounds like you are on night photo, (maybe)  and the camera is buffering more info when  the shutter stays open?  See Video as  you will  see  the photo demonstrated where it correctly in my way works 1 second for a photo 3 seconds for a  night photo and 2 seconds for a burst photo

Highlighted
Tourist

Wow, thanks for the involved movie reply.

Camera is not set to Night shooting.

Obviously the more processing in camera, the more time it takes to save. Protune/HDR features require 3+ seconds to save. NO color processing features requires 2+ seconds to save on this camera. These times are based upon my human reaction with enabling a stop watch.

Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 V30 microsd card which is recommended is what I'm using.

Interestingly enough shooting video at 4K 4:3 30fps Protune enabled requires a very brief split second to save.

Highlighted
Adventurer

@craigs467  thank you.  I hear ya so what is happening is hte camera buffers more, then the H5B.   and no way  does it match   in my clip?  Not saying H5B is better, just showing if, we were not correctly on par with a  setting.  I am running an older FW 2.0  so maybe there is to much happening and gopro must now quicken the pace up here.  All I can think of is  the better chip, is the slower chip, known as the GP1 vs Ambrella?

Highlighted
Explorer

[ Edited ]

Both the Hero5 and Hero6 take about the exact same time to take and save photos.

The only significant difference I see is the Hero6 has better dynamic range and color representation.

Highlighted
Explorer

In my Hero5 Black I have a Samsung Pro 64GB and in my Hero6 Black I'm using a Samsung Pro+ 64GB.
https://gopro.com/v/Kd132d15J6OJ