Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 6 recording flickering beige screen

[ New ]

I've been doing some testing - trying to see how long an external battery will last. Twice in two tests, the camera has stopped recording

normally and recording a flickering image like the one shown.Software version 02.10.SD card is Silicon Power 256GB (rated V30 UHS-1 A1)

On 2nd test, it happened after 4H16M. The frame before is fine. This video is recorded until I hit stop. Video is fine after stopping and restarting. After this it recorded another 5 hours or so with no problem. Recording at  2.7K 30fps.

Previous test, it happened about 3 hours in. In this case, I powered the camera down and restarted. Video was fine for another 5 hours. Recording at 1080 30.

Any ideas why this is happening?

vlcsnap-2020-02-09-10h07m28s207.png
GoPro

Re: Hero 6 recording flickering beige screen

[ New ]

Hi @bluesummit87738

What SD card are you using?

To help isolate the issue, you may try doing a test recording using another recommended SD card.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I've been doing some testing - trying to see how long an external battery will last. Twice in two tests, the camera has stopped recording

normally and recording a flickering image like the one shown.Software version 02.10.SD card is Silicon Power 256GB (rated V30 UHS-1 A1) 

Well, most of those cards are either too small or discontinued (at least at B&H). But this will work?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1431037-REG/sandisk_sdsqxa1_128g_a_extreme_microsd_128gb_card...

I can't use anything smaller - problem only happens at the 3-4 hour mark.

Tourist

[ New ]

I do own this  but it is not on the list so can't be used?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1481586-REG/lexar_lsdmi128cbna1800a_pro_1800x_micro_sdhc_xc.h...

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just had the same problem but my screen is a black/purple instead of beige. It happened after about 1.5hrs while I was recording a hockey game. I am using a Sandisk A2 U3 64GB and connected to an external battery bank. I have two Heros 6 with the same setup, one on each end of the rink and have been doing this for over a year without any issues. After the last firmware update, the camera that had the issue has been acting up with the following symptoms:

1. Its very difficult to turn on/off, sometimes I have to remove the battery to make it work

2. Difficulties connecting to the iPhone app, takes multiple retries

3. Will not start recording regardless of pressing the video rec button 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @rockyvista47371,

Please install new camera firmware for your camera manually. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras

-Jay

Sightseer

[ New ]

Its already running the latest, unless you mean to do the update again. Its running: HERO6 Black update v02.10 | October 17, 2019

GoPro

[ New ]

Yup, please reinstall the firmware of your camera manually @rockyvista47371

Just follow the instruction for manual firmware update for your camera. 

Tourist

[ New ]

No love for me? (:

I actually starting having the same power off problem (none of the others though) So I reinstalled 2.10 and am testing with The Lexar 64g v30 rated card (linked to above).

I would like some clarification re specific memory card. Just get one of these? SanDisk Extreme/Extreme Plus/Extreme Pro UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) - ≥32GB The Extreme works just as well as the Extreme Pro?

Sightseer

[ New ]

nothing but love from here brother :) - I'll reinstall the update and report back after Thursdays (Feb 13th) hockey game

Sightseer

[ New ]

@bluesummit87738 - here is some more lovin from Toronto...

As I mentioned ealier my GoPros had already been updated to the latest Firmware, however I did the update via the desktop app. So if they are sugesting to do a manual update then I have to assume that updating the firmware via the app can be problematic. It turns out that the manual update procedure as per the update link above actually has you download the firmware files unto your computer, then has you transfer them to the Micro SD card. You then insert the Micro SD card with the update folder into your GoPro and power it on. After about 15secs it will display a 1/2 message on the front LCD, then after about 30secs or so it changes to 2/2, after another 30 secs you should get a check mark then wait another 10 secs and the GoPro will power on as normal. I noticed that the "UPDATE" folder was deleted automatically from the SD card after the update completed. Hopefully this resolves the gremlins. I'll report back after Thursdays game as mentioned earlier.