Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 6 not importing large 1 hour video? Maybe GP wrong?

Hello, I don't know what's wrong, so wonder if anyone can help me please. When plugging my gph6 to Windows 10 machine, uploads all the 8-min video files, but for some reason some files have been recorded more than 8 minutes, these do not upload for some reason and the gopro quik app says import complete, but the videos are still on the gopro. I thought I had issue with the SD card so got a new one. 

I shoot in 4k 60fps

Using new SanDisk extreme pro 128gb SD

Please see photos. I help someone can shed some light. Thanks in advance. 

2020-11-03 10.19.56.jpg
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 6 not importing large 1 hour video? Maybe GP wrong?

When you record a video on your GoPro, file sizes are capped at 4GB in size.  This equates to approx 8 mins of video.

So if you record a 16 minute video on your GoPro, you will end up with 2 x 8 minute video files.

If you record a 32 minute video on your GoPro, you will end up with 4 x 8 minute video files.

In you record an hour long video on your GoPro, you will end up with approx 8 x 8 minute video files.

This is called file chaptering and it's a normal process of your GoPro camera:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Camera-File-Chaptering-Information/ta-p/390210?ds_rl=1274407...

So all those small 4GB files you are seeing, they make up your hour long video.  Your camera uses THM (thumbnail) and LRV (low resolution video files) for playback on your camera.  Due to their small size they will easily show you an hour long preview of your video as they don't approach 4GB in file size.

Simply use any video editor out there to join your 4GB files back together into your hour long video.