Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 6 not charging properly while using HDMI out

Pretty straight forward use case. Go my GoPro plugged into USB power (and yes 2.0 usb voltage, 3.0 usb voltage) and when no HDMI is plugged in, camera will run all night and charge no problem.

But as soon as I plug in an HDMI it starts draining the life out of it. I’ve got 2x hero 6, updated them, and same issue and results on both.

It would be nice to see the preview screen or some indicator showing this, but as another shortcoming of this camera, you can see the preview screen while HDMI is plugged in. Even on the app it doesn’t tell you what percentage the charge is while the HDMI is plugged it, just says charging and shows the battery

So what’s the solution here? Need to run HDMI out and also charge at the same time. Seems pretty basic so not sure why it’s not working

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Hero 6 not charging properly while using HDMI out

Ok, thanks. Yeah seems like the solution is you need high power or the camera will choke plugging in the hdmi. It’s like it does some major power draw the second you plug the hdmi in. So if you have a standard 5v low wattage power supply the camera locks up

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hello @snowyridge06563

Was your camera displaying feed on a TV screen?  Was it recording or in idle mode? It is odd for the camera to not continue charging (or working) for an extended period while being connected through an HDMI cable. Did you perform a manual update when you did the update? Will need to replicate the issue on our end and see how it goes after manually updating a HERO6 Black camera. I will keep you posted. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Explorer

Is it a laptop? Often laptops will stop sending power to charge in these scenarios. Try with the camera charging from a wall charger. If this is not possible, make sure the computer is plugged in and charging.
Tourist

Its odd but thats exactly whats happening.  I've discovered a couple flaws related to the Hero 6 which may shed some light on what you guys need to fix.

1.  USB Power.  So you guys have really confused what should be a simple concept.  Plus into USB power and charge.  Nope.  You included a 4 inch USB-C to USB-A cable which is basically misleading and garbage.  Why did you just include a USB-C to USB-C + USB-C Power Supply?  Here's the issue:

a.  The Hero 6 is VERY sensitive to the using the exact power it needs.  If you use a USB-C Powered by USB-C you will get a "green" fast charging symbol.  Why isnt there a single peice of literature included describing the difference between "regular charge" aka "white charging icon" vs "fast charge" aka "green charging icon"?  Sadyly i found this on a youtube video.  This needs to be explained in depth by you GoPro

b.  The Hero 6 DOES NOT WORK sharing a USB 3.0 / 5v Hub for power with another Hero 6.  Yes, try plugging in 2x Hero 6's to the same USB 3.0 hub for power and you get 1 camera that stays on, and the other resets after 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Are the Hero's trying to talk to each other over the USB hub?  Either way, once i used "independant" USB 3.0/5v power for each camera, then the camera's stayed on.  So plan on buying a standard 3.0 USB cable and independant power supply for each camera or USB-C cable and independant USB-C power suppy or power delivery.  

c. Regardless of using the correct power supply, you CAN NOT charge a Hero 6 while having a simple HDMI cable plugged into the camera at the same time.  Remove the HDMI, you can clearly see the power charging all the way to 100%  - left it on over night and still on and 100%.  Plug in the HDMI and the battery starts draining until its done.  In addition to this - the camera will get hot AF which tells me something is seriously wrong.  Both my brand new updated Hero 6 cameras have the same bevavior and tech support have confirmed this is a bug and related on to the Hero 6 at this point.

2.  The work around.  Since i only need to have the cameras stay on beyond the battery life, i just removed the batteries.  Once i got the independant power supplies for each camera and removed the batteries completly, the cameras stay on as they should.

So thats it.  Hopefully this isnt an unrepairable hardware issue and firmware can fix the charge/hdmi bug.  Otherwise guess ill need to also buy an independant charging unit because charging while live streaming at this point on the Hero 6 is a no go.

Tourist

Also to add:

When you have regular USB power (non-usb-c power supply or power delivery) - the camera chokes as soon as you plug the HDMI in.  I did this several times and watched from the GoPro app and as soon as you plug in the HDMI, the camera basically crashes and in some few instances recovers and continues to play video

If you are using USB-C full with a full blown USB-C power supply, not using the garbage USB-C to USB-A cable the camera came with but instead USB-C to USB-C cable with USB-C Power Supply or Power Delivery and the camera holds up fine when plugging in the HDMI

So there is some serious power issues going on with this phone and plugging in an HDMI at the same time

Can we get an answer here GoPro?

Explorer

This is a member to member support site. You'll want to contact the GoPro Support Team directly if you want a response from GoPro.
Tourist

I called support and got nothing back.  Is there a place here where i can contact them directly?

GoPro

Hi @snowyridge06563

You might want to try to contact them via chat. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay