Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 6 long timelapse with external power

[ Edited ]

I have a Hero 6 connected to power using the USB-C to USB-3 cable it came with. I'm trying to record long timelapse videos.

I have a USB power meter plugged into the power source that shows the power source is 5 volts and shows that the Hero 6 is drawing 30 milliamps with its screen off in timelaps video record mode.

My problem is that the Hero 6 battery is being used. I can see the battery level is reducing, just as though there was no power source plugged in. Therefore at the moment I can only record for 70 minutes before the battery fails, even through the Hero 6 is connected to power and is drawing current.

Is this expected behaviour, or have I missed an important configuration option?

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Hero 6 long timelapse with external power

It seems to me with my testing that once you start to record the GoPro 6 starts to use the internal battery and will only charge (use extrernal battery) when not recording. To get the GoPro to use the extarnal battery is to remove the battery, this puts it into external power mote (the icon on the dosplay changes) and you will be able to use you larger external battery.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

Re: Hero 6 long timelapse with external power

It seems to me with my testing that once you start to record the GoPro 6 starts to use the internal battery and will only charge (use extrernal battery) when not recording. To get the GoPro to use the extarnal battery is to remove the battery, this puts it into external power mote (the icon on the dosplay changes) and you will be able to use you larger external battery.