Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 6 is dropping frames! HUGE issue!

Maybe try adjusting your shutter speed. I'm not sure how or why your getting your issue, but it sounds like you'll need to make adjustments on your end as there won't be another firmware update for awhile.

I suspect that since you are using Superwide (which is the worst setting for stabilization) and 24fps, when the camera makes stability adjustments it appears to be dropping frames as an adjustment is being applied between frames, creating a jump. If you are using the low frame rate because of low light, this will only exacerbate the issue as EIS shouldn't be used in low light.

Faster movement (even if it's just walking by and filming picket fences with relatively small gaps between them) should be done at a higher frame rate than 24, unless you want the motion blur (which also messes up EIS). EIS works best when the image is clear, you have focal points, and a defined horizon. The more you crop your FOV (medium or wide with a slight zoom applied), the better it works.
Highlighted
Hiker

I only shot the fence to demonstrate the problem. 

I've tried all the shutter speed options

The shutter speed isn't the issue, it's that the camera completely skips recording a frame every once in a while.  This is not ok or something that anyone should have to work around.  It's a major problem.  If any canon or panasonic camera had this problem it would be a huge deal, but because gopro has a history of bugs and problems it's almost expected.

Highlighted
Explorer

Well, that's not a true statement. Have you ever searched online for cameras with dropped frames? There are plenty of complaints from people stating they have dropped frames with Canon and others.

This is a community support site. Work arounds and suggestions are what are given. If you absolutely must film in 4K/24 Superview with stabilization on, then I guess you'll occasionally have what you perceive to be dropped frames.

If you film in those settings without movement, do you still get dropped frames? Again, I'm guessing that what you are seeing is a jump in the orientation that is happening between frames as the camera makes a stabilization adjustment.

Have you tried ND filters?
Highlighted
Hiker

I can't find one example of another major camera manufactuter having a dropped frame issue and not addressing it.

Ignoring the problem is not a solution for me. It says in the official camera specs that it shoots at 24fps. Not 24fps most of the time. Should we tell our clients to ignor the problem as well? "Your film might have a couple of dropped frames, you're cool with that right?"
Highlighted
Hiker

Also please what the video I shared in the first post to understand the issue. It is not an optical illusion caused by motion. It's a missing frame.

Just out of curiosity, why are you so interested in dismissing this problem? What's the motivation?
Highlighted
Nomad

Importon,

It's not a missing frame issue you're having it's an electronic stabilisation problem. The way electronic stabilisation works is it finds a focal point in the video and keeps it still via cropping (just like warp stabiliser). That means if it can't keep up for whatever reason, be it fast movements or low light, it gives a "skipping" effect as it needs to centre on whatever you're viewing. It's not ideal obviously but that's the limitation with EIS. Gopro's EIS is the best I've ever seen but as I say it has it's limitations.

If you want to avoid the issue you're having you need to turn off stabilisation or use a gimbal. Simple as that.
Highlighted
Explorer

I'm not trying to be dismissive. I'm trying to help address your issue.

That's what this forum is for.

I agree with @quickhero77554
I'm sure you don't.

"major camera manufactuter having a dropped frame issue and not addressing it."

In most cases it's actually the user of the camera mistakenly thinking there is a dropped frame. In cases where there was an issue, did those major camera manufacturers resolve their issues overnight?

Have you done a stationary test without movement? If you only get "dropped frames" when in motion, you need to start considering the possibility that this is just an artifact of the stabilization.

If you truly have clients, you should be using a gimbal stabilizer. EIS is good but certainly not professional level.
Highlighted
Hiker

I'm begging you to watch my video in the first post.  It cannot be mistaken as a stabilization issue or a motion illusion.  There are whole frames being skipped.