Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 6 freezes when viewing 2.7k footage at 240fps

My hero6 black freezes every time I try to view 2.7k 240fps footage. It shows a thumbnail of the clip amongst the rest of the footage when I go to view the clips, but when I click on it, the screen is black except for a play button. When I try to click play, nothing happens and the camera freezes. The only way I was able to get out was to press the MODE for 10+ seconds and it reboots the camera.

I've updated to the latest software and am using a SanDisk Extreme Pluse 64GB card.

Also, when recording at these specs, the preview screen that I see while recording is VERY choppy.

Any way to fix these issues?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero 6 freezes when viewing 2.7k footage at 240fps

That card is not on our list of compatible cards at https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations, so that could be the cause of that issue. If you have another card that is on the list, please try that one and see if the issue continues.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@shanj47 - Can you confirm the settings again? I don't think the HERO6 can shoot 2.7K at 240fps.

If this is another setting and you're having this issue, are you seeing this when you play the videos back on the camera itself, or on a player like Quik for Desktop. If it's on something other than the camera, it's likely related to the HEVC codec that's used for high res/high frame rate videos. More info on this can be found at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc.

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

My apologies, you are correct. It was 2.7K at 120fps and 60fps.

Issues when I try to play back the video on the camera itself.

I'm aware that HEVC framerates and codecs can cause glitching up on a computer or software, but one would think that playback on the camera shouldn't be an issue.

Is there a firmware update that I'm not aware of? I updated it to the November 20th version but maybe there's another one that fixed the glitch in the meantime that I missed.

Highlighted
Tourist

Here's what I see when I try to play back one of these files (photo attached)

IMG_2455.JPG
Highlighted
Tourist

I have the same issue with my Hero 6 but also with videos with lower resolution like 1080p60fps. I have updated my camera with the latest v1.60 software. The SD card I use is Samsung 128GB Evo Plus (Samsung MB-MC128GA/EU Evo Plus). I am able to import the video files to computer and they are working fine. I'm also able to play back the videos with my mobile phone if I connect it to camera with GoPro application. But when I try to play back the videos on the camera, it freezes.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

That card is not on our list of compatible cards at https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations, so that could be the cause of that issue. If you have another card that is on the list, please try that one and see if the issue continues.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have a somewhat similar problem. My Hero 6 stops / gets jammed when I try to watch the pictures. Usually, only one image / video can be watched, sometimes more than one image will succeed. The memory card is SanDisk Extreme Video Speed ​​Class 30 (V30) 64GB.

Is the failure of camera settings a zero game or already on a card. Hero 6 works fine, but the only fault is just watching the pictures / videos.
Highlighted
Tourist

I format memory card and it looks like it works better. Is it possible that video, for example, is corrupt and the reason is there?