Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 6 footage constantly changing light - from dark to light and visa versa - setting exposure?

I have bought hero 6 and sold hero 3. I use it while flying and have it on helmet.

But the footage is terrible. The camere constantly changing aperture or something when there is a bit more light. There was a tip here:

"To lock the exposure, hold down on the screen. When a small box appears, look at the bottom of the screen. There will be an icon for "auto exposure". Tap that. It should change to "locked exposure".

But I can not change settings while flying. I didnt need to do that with Hero 3 and everything was great. Please help :).

And the other thing I dont like is that H3 had keyframe every 0,5 sec while H6 every 1 sec - it is much worse for cutting without reprocessing :((.

vlcsnap-2018-07-31-10h57m35s614.png

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 6 footage constantly changing light - from dark to light and visa versa - setting exposure?

Hi @quicksand1571

You can access protune by swiping from right to left screen. 

You will Protune on and after that you can set fixed Exposure and Fixed ISO. 

Without protune the camera will continuously adapt to the current lighting and you can't prevent the changing of exposure. 

Regards,

-Jay 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

Re: Hero 6 footage constantly changing light - from dark to light and visa versa - setting exposure?

And a video sample:

https://youtu.be/UxVwBca1bSk

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Nomad

Is your ISO limited to any value ot set to auto?

Tourist

I dont have protune on so I guess I cannot set it. Or can I without protune?

GoPro

Hi @quicksand1571

You can access protune by swiping from right to left screen. 

You will Protune on and after that you can set fixed Exposure and Fixed ISO. 

Without protune the camera will continuously adapt to the current lighting and you can't prevent the changing of exposure. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

Thanks for your advice Jay.

I know how to turn on protune. I will try it, however I dont like protune – bigger files, you have to edit, .... (I understand that it is good if you want to play with editing then etc). And I guess fix setting of ISO will not help. Auto exposure will do the same.

Yesterday I flew and I tried to lock exposure (without protune) before take off. The problem was that I locked exposure at 6am, then flew 2,5hrs and landed at 8:30am – much more light. Only half an hour of video was ok the rest was overexposed.

With hero 3: I turned it on – flew – turned it off and I had approx. 2,5hrs of great footage. **bleep** – sorry:).