Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 6 Turns Off Time Lapse When Charging

I am trying to shoot a video time lapse (5s intervals) of the entire day. I plug in my camera and start shooting. The camera turns off after about 6s of footage taken or 15 min of shooting time. This happens only when the camera is plugged in and charging while shooting. If I use the battery only, it works fine until the battery is depleted.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thank you in advance.

Jan
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero 6 Turns Off Time Lapse When Charging

@coolpeak7143 - Not sure why that's happening. The only thing I can think of is that the power supply is causing the camera to overheat for some reason. Does this happen if you were to shoot regular video?

Jeff

Tourist

Hi Jeff:

Overheating I can safely rule out. I am shooting at minus 25 celsius.

Jan
GoPro Community Manager

Yeah, might be hard to overheat in those temps. Our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs may be able to find the answer for you.

Tourist

Thank you Jeff, I will do so.

Jan
Sightseer

Any update in this topic?

I observe similar behaviour. I wanted to use external powerbank for long timelapses. Two of my gopro6 units do the same thing. They turn of automatically after roughly about 15min of timelapse shooting. It does not happen everytime but it happens. Automatic turn off option is set to "never". I shoot mostly at -5C so I think overheating is also not a problem. 

My guess is that this happens when internal battery was not fully loaded at the begining of timelapse and device turns off when internal battery is fully loaded. But this is only a guess. I am trying right now to reproduce this flow. 

Is this expected behaviour that 6th generation of gopro lasts only 3h on timelapse mode on internal battery? Shouldn't timelapse mode be more efficient than video capture? My 8 year old DSLR lasts 1.5h in video but in timelapse it works easily for 5h with 10s interval even dough it needs to flip mirror. 

Tourist

Dear Pawelt,

Have you been able to resolve that issue? I have the same problem here with my HERO6 and alredy tried different cables, power adapters, batteries, etc. Thanks for your update!

GoPro

Hello @nicestar50303

Does your camera stop recording time lapse as well when connected directly to a charger? I actually tried doing a time lapse recording while the camera was plugged into the charger and was able to record at least an hour of time lapse video without any interruption. Have you already tried manually updating your camera? My setup was with a HERO6 Black camera set to Time Lapse video, 1080p, 0.5 s interval, FOV Wide, camera updated to version 2.01. 

Hope to hear back from you. 

Thanks, 
Marius