Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 6 Telemetry Not Showing in Dashware

I just got my Hero 6 and was trying to get the GPS data to show in Dashware, I use the video file as the data file but no data shows in the gauges.  In Quick the same clip will show the data in the gauges.  Any help on how to get Dashware to work?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 6 Telemetry Not Showing in Dashware

Ok, i have it working.

For others, here is what i did:

I installed Dashware 1.9.1 on a laptop with Windows 10 (not running in a Virtual Machine).

Btw. i couldn't use the dashware installer file that i downloaded in de Win7 VM. I downloaded it again in Win10.

Than i copied your Hero6GPMF.xml file to C:\Program Files\DashWare\DataTool\DataProfiles

btw. i had to add Write access to this folder (right click folder, Properties, Security tab, add Write permission). This might be specific to my Win10 configuration.

Than i start Dashware and do: File --> Quick Project Creator --> select the .MP$ file from the gopro Hero 6 (i deselected Copy file to project directory). --> OK. Now you will see the video, but the telemtry data is not yet there.

At Input Settings on the right select --> Data Files: plus (+) sign --> select the video file again --> now you will see a popup windows "Extracting GPMF Data..." (this didn't show up in my Win7 VM on my Apple).

When it has finished extracting select the "GoPro" data profile --> and select Add.

Now it should work.

Btw. if you don't copy in the Hero6GPMF.xml file. It will still show Extracting GPMF data but it will finish extracting much faster and doesn't show telemtry data.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @jdavidh1374,

If you get in touch with our Support Team directly they can take a look at your system and work through some steps that should get you up and running! You can get in touch by Phone or Chat: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Cheers,

Ryan

Highlighted
Hiker

I've been trying the same thing all day too.

I really don't understand why GoPro decided to embed the data rather than saving it a separate GPX, it makes it so much harder to work with!

I'm sure Quik is great if want everything done for you, but personally I hate it. Studio wasn't perfect but it was a lot better! You can't even change the brightness or colour balance in Quik. What's the point of Protune now??

Dashware (latest version), doesn't process the embedded data properly for some reason, despite Dashware being owned by GoPro now. It creates a CSV file, and I've tried creating a new data profile to map all the columns - nothing. It should be seamless, but it's just not working at all.

It's such a killer feature, yet it's almost pointless because the data is hard to get to and your own software can't read it. Not really what you'd expect from the No1 action camera on the market.

Apart from Quik.

Highlighted
Hiker

Just wanted to chime in and say I 100% agree with the previous post - the GPS implementation is simply atrocious, why not just give us the data (ideally in a GPX file) and let us do whatever we want to do with it? It's not like you're losing any competitive advantage by storing it in a proprietary format that is a PITA to work with.. Quik may be great for your average consumer but why stop the people who want to use the full potential of the camera from accessing the raw data?

Highlighted
Hiker

I think it's fine to embed the data in whatever format, as long as you can get the data out into something useful.

I'm sure it wouldn't be so difficult for Quik to give a simple "Export as GPX" file option.

In the meantime, I did find this site via another post which you might find useful:

https://www.trassy.pl/blog/syncloc

But it would be nice if I could get the data without having to upload a large file to a third party website.

Annoyingly this has been a problem since the Hero5, so it's not a new thing.

Highlighted
Tourist

Out of curiousity I tried the free version of Race Render 3 on one of my clips.  It worked great, but I really don't want to pay for a version that gets rid of the logo and lets me make clips longer than 3 minutes.  If GoPro is going to offer a product they should make sure it works as intended without needing a 3rd party.

Highlighted
Hiker

It's ironic that RR3 works better than Dashware which is owned by GoPro...
Highlighted
Sightseer

La telemetría no funciona para nada. El software es penoso.

He intentado extraer los datos con Dash Ware y el archivo .CSV que genera no lo interpreta para nada. Los videos en Quik aparecen con un signo de interrogacion y no se ve la miniatura y no se pueden editar.

Un desastre