Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Hero 6 HEVC h.265 Editing Workflow?

Hi,

I am stoked on the hero 6.

The HEVC h.265 files of 240fps mode are maxing the cpu in both of my editing rigs.

Anyone have a good workflow?  Any solution that doesn't require re-encoding, proxie files, or upgrading CPU/mobo?  Any video card that can handle the files?

Thanks!

Oh and here is my first slow motion test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZoptiqg3ZY

I went straight to the beach after picking up the new GoPro Hero 6 Black, charging the battery on the way. Really stoked on the slow motion capabilities of 1...
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 6 HEVC h.265 Editing Workflow?

I'm trying to figure this out myself. I can get the video into premiere but I also have a comparable computer. My biggest thing is how messed up the contrast is with the hevc codec. The blacks are absolutely crushed and highlights way blown out. Not sure why. It doesn't do this with h264
Highlighted
Hiker

I hear you.

I asked this question on the adobe forum and one repsonse suggests current hardware might not be enough, and transcoding or ingesting proxies is the best work around.  I hope this is incorrect and there is a less tedious solution.

Highlighted
Explorer

Great video @clayisland
Highlighted
Tourist

Unless you have a 2016 or later computer you’re not going to be able to playback h265.

Best advice is use Premiere and proxies, this works. So you need Premiere CC and Adobe Media encoder (which creates the proxies).

Fcp x doesn’t natively work with h265. You can convert the h265 files to pro res but the files are ridiculously massive and unworkable.
Highlighted
Hiker

Maybe this is a dumb question but what does it mean to create a proxy in media encoder? I'm familiar with premiere and Adobe media encoder but not proxies. Tried Google but not finding much.
Highlighted
Tourist

This video explains the how to edit with proxies and Premiere. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P__1P4VaEvc

More info at www.phantomfilmschool.com
Highlighted
Hiker

@clayisland wrote:

Hi,

I am stoked on the hero 6.

The HEVC h.265 files of 240fps mode are maxing the cpu in both of my editing rigs.

Anyone have a good workflow?  Any solution that doesn't require re-encoding, proxie files, or upgrading CPU/mobo?  Any video card that can handle the files?

Thanks!

Oh and here is my first slow motion test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZoptiqg3ZY

Great video! I love the part where you fell off the board backwards. It was almost unreal how that board stayed in the air! Nice! Did you use premiere pro for the editing?