Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 6 Firmware 2.01 and stabilisation very disappointed

Just received my GoPro Hero 6 yesterday, switch on, connect it to my Gopro App and then ask me to do an update to v2.01.

I did it but I'm very disappointed by the update cause the stablisation improvement in 2.01 is worse than on the 1.60 firmware. I did a comparison with a friend that own  an Hero 6 with firmware 1.60 (he did not the update) and the difference is huge.

I would like to downgrade to 1.60 firmware, is it possible or when is the next update to get the satbilisation performance back as in 1.60 ?

I bought the Hero 6 cause of demonstration of my friend with the stabilisation that I found impressive. I'm using it to film my riding session in VTT and for the time being I'm a bit disappointed.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 6 Firmware 2.01 and stabilisation very disappointed

Hello @geralda72561

Thank you for the feedback. I understand how frustrating the situation is, but we would not be able to downgrade to an older firmware. However, we would like to get a better understanding of the issue so we can help further. Which resolution setting was the camera in when the video was recorded? Will you be able to provide video samples (from your, and your friend's cameras)? Will watch out for your reply. 

Alternatively, you can contact our Support team for a more personalized support regarding this matter. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

I was in 1080/50fps/SUPER WIDE/PAL.

However, I found the firmware 1.60 on the web and downgrade to it, the difference is noticeable.

I did a new video, running with GoPro in my Hand, the stabilisation behaviour of the 1.60 is just great ! I can't wait to use it during  my next Moutain Bike session.

Other people as did some video on you tube showing the stabilisation difference between 1.60 and 2.01, I confirm what they demonstrate.

The main difference is on the left/right rotation stabilisation when you run, on 1.60 the rotation is very well compansed, on 2.01 there is still a little rotation.

I read in the 2.01 note that the stabilisation was improved to be more natural, perhaps the developpers could set a parameter allowing to choice a natural or strong stabilisation or a percentage.

Highlighted
Explorer

I like your idea of having the option of different levels of stabilization. As far as using 1.60 stabilization when mountain biking, don't be surprised if you see a lot of jumps in the video. 2.01 may not always be as smooth, but generally gives you much more usable video.
Highlighted
Hiker

It’s a piece of crap. Got two of them. So unusable I won’t even bother to upgrade firmware. Doubt I’ll ever use them again. All my mountainbiking videos are crap, i suggested a user-setting for the stabilization factor 6 months ago. It’s not gonna happen. They had feedback since the release on crappy stabilization. ”It’ll be fixed in November”. Big surprise it’s not fixed almost a year after release. Unless they’ve fired the developers and gotten new ones, it’s not getting fixed.

Highlighted
Hiker

Regardless of what gopro mod says, the firmware can be downgraded. I have done it many times. All latest firmwares are crap. The first and up to 1.51 and even 1.55 are better than the newer ones. I have sent back so many of these hero 6 products due to firmware making the device defective.