Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Hero 6 - External Power Source

I am using my Hero 6 to take long duration Time Lapse Videos. Ideally, I would like to leave it outside for about 8hrs to capture a full day of material. The standard battery will last about 3-4hrs taking these time lapse videos. I have a large power bank that I have plugged into my Hero 6, but it does not appear to say it is charging while the video is recording (but when the video stops, the camera is magically at 100% battery again). I am still testing this to see if it will actually drain to 0%. 

What methods do others use for long duration time lapse videos? Do I need to remove the battery and power the camera for the duration directly from the power bank?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 6 - External Power Source

Yes, simply remove the internal battery and power your camera on the external power bank and you should have no issues.

I also remove the internal battery and power the camera via a long USB cable and a wall socket, although I tend to do this only on night that's zero chance of rain.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
GoPro

@coolflame43653, I suggest removing the battery if you will be using the camera for very long-term shooting (e.g. Timelapse) to prevent the camera from overheating – at some point, preventing potential damage to the battery as well. Other users have expressed similar suggestion when using external power source for continuous recording. 

On a side note, without the battery installed, the camera will eventually turn off the moment that the external power stops. 

Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof when charging.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Yes, simply remove the internal battery and power your camera on the external power bank and you should have no issues.

I also remove the internal battery and power the camera via a long USB cable and a wall socket, although I tend to do this only on night that's zero chance of rain.

Highlighted
GoPro

@coolflame43653, I suggest removing the battery if you will be using the camera for very long-term shooting (e.g. Timelapse) to prevent the camera from overheating – at some point, preventing potential damage to the battery as well. Other users have expressed similar suggestion when using external power source for continuous recording. 

On a side note, without the battery installed, the camera will eventually turn off the moment that the external power stops. 

Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof when charging.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Excellent, thank you. I will remove the battery and get it set up!

Highlighted
Sightseer

Great to know, thank you! I will make sure there is no chance rain when operating it from a external power source with no battery.
Highlighted
GoPro

Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!