Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Hero 6 Black stops recording randomly

[ New ]

Hello!

My Hero 6 black stopped recording at 1 or 2 minutes after I was starting the video, I've updated to the last version and now it stops at about 4 minutes or so and I noticed that the camera gets very warm, especially the lens area.

What is it to be done?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Hero 6 Black stops recording randomly

[ New ]

I think i found solution, there was 16mb partition on memory card. I deleted all partitions with windows disk management and made new one(exFAT). After short tests i was able to record 10-20min videos without random stops. i have to make more test to make sure is it completely fixed.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hey @Anonymous,

What SD Card are you using? I would recommend giving these steps a try!

https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/Camera-Freezes-Up

Best,

Ryan

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello!

My camera is not freezing up. It works perfectly, but just stops recording for no reason.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@Anonymous - When it stops recording, we refer to that as freezing. It does sound like there may be an issue with the SD card you are using with the camera or the firmware on the camera. If you follow the steps in the link Ryan posted, it should take care of the issue. If not, please let us know, and we'll see what else we can suggest for you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the exact same problem ... I record interviews with my Hero6 and randomly it will just stop recording. It doesn't freeze, the battery isn't dead, it just stops. The video is saved, you just have to press the button again and it starts back up.

Super annoying. It's random when it happens too, it isn't at the same time ever in the recording ...

Tourist

[ New ]

And yes, I am using a recommended SD card that has been formatted.

IMG_20180427_083630.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing, @mikeboxelder!

Good to know that you are using a recommended SD card. You mentioned that it happens randomly, but how frequently does it occur? Have you already manually updated the camera? Your camera may already be with the latest firmware but manually updating is highly encouraged since it is a great way to ensure your camera has the latest features as well as help correct any errors with the current software installation. Although maybe far-fetched but please also check if there maybe external factors that might have caused the camera to stop recording like voice commands, wireless connection/Bluetooth connection with a mobile device via GoPro App. 

Regards, 

Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello!

Is this card ok? 

click here

Thanks!

GoPro

[ New ]

Yes it is, @Anonymous. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanyawrote:

Thank you for sharing, @mikeboxelder!

Good to know that you are using a recommended SD card. You mentioned that it happens randomly, but how frequently does it occur? Have you already manually updated the camera? Your camera may already be with the latest firmware but manually updating is highly encouraged since it is a great way to ensure your camera has the latest features as well as help correct any errors with the current software installation. Although maybe far-fetched but please also check if there maybe external factors that might have caused the camera to stop recording like voice commands, wireless connection/Bluetooth connection with a mobile device via GoPro App. 

Regards, 

Marius

Yes I manually updated.

What would the Bluetooth / GoPro App have to with it stopping randomly? (Cause, yes I am using both ...)

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @mikeboxelder

Thank you for posting back. The GoPro app that works with Bluetooth allows for camera control. Since we have already verified that the camera is updated to the latest firmware, and that you are using a recommended SD card, it would be best to contact our Support team for further assistance. You can reach them via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Sightseer

[ New ]
Hello! Has this been solved yet?

Does the camera get really hot? This happened to me before. I have it in my car and truck, I would have the ac blowing on it so it would stay cool. Hasn't shut off on me since doing so. When I can't have cool air on it, I bring down the resolution and fps.
Tourist

[ New ]

Still happening to me, yes. Don't think it's an overheating thing.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @rapidstoke71345 @mikeboxelder

Cameras may have shorter camera recording times or may get hot and shut down to cool off when recording in high performance modes.

While it's normal for the camera to get warm while in use it should not be to the point where you can no longer touch it.

What SD cards are you guys using? Have you tried doing a manual software update?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Read any of the above replies ... I updated software and am using a correct SD.

It isn't overheating, it just stops recording, but doesn't shut off. And I just have to press the button and it starts right back up.

Adventurer

[ New ]

If you fully formatted the card no quick format or camera format I mean a real full format. and it still does  what you're saying. call up gopro and get a new camera it is a issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

I formatted the card per GoPro support chat directions.

They wouldn't replace it since I didn't buy it from them (I got it at Verizon).

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mikeboxelder

If it is still on 1 year or under warranty period GoPro Customer Support should be able to replace that. 

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

That's not what I was told ... Can you process one for me then?

Adventurer

[ New ]

WHich format did you do?

Computer FULL format?

Computer quick Format? 

Camera Format.

call gopro get the rrma going, this is a forum..

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mikeboxelder,

Only GoPro Customer Support can process that for you. 

It would be best if you'll contact them via phone or chat. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

I hope it would be all sorted out. 

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

This is unreal ... I did a 70 minute podcast, and it stopped recording randomly 6 times during it!

Infuriating!!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mikeboxelder

I am sorry if you feel this way.

Let our Support Team help you out on this.

They can provide you with the best options/recommendations to move forward with this concern.

You may reach them via phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I have this same problem, is this solved yet?

I formated [Samsung 128 Gt Micro SDXC EVO Plus] card with computer (full format) and manually installed latest firmware, it didnt help.

my videos lenght is only 6-8min

Tourist

[ New ]

Naw, they DID send me a different camera, but it's still happening for me ...

Tourist

[ New ]

maybe its memory card issue then? what card should i use?

Tourist

[ New ]

I think i found solution, there was 16mb partition on memory card. I deleted all partitions with windows disk management and made new one(exFAT). After short tests i was able to record 10-20min videos without random stops. i have to make more test to make sure is it completely fixed.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for sharing your solution @swifttree16136!

Keep us posted. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

Same problem here.

I'm recording in 1920x1080 120 FPS. I use 16GB card which can record 30min in this format.

In 3 out of 10 cases the recording would stop at some point between 5 and 25min. In the remaining cases recording would continue until the card is full.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with overheating because sometimes a "cold" camera stopped after 15min and in other cases it recorded for 60min continuously (at the same room temperature).

I did two things:

1. Updated the SW to the newest version.

2. Formatted the SD card using SD Memory Card Formatter 5.0 - official tool from SD Association (free tool)

Apparently one of these two solved the problem. Since that I haven't seen this problem (but I keep testing).

Regards,

Witold

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing, @witolda8. Appreciate you posting back regarding what worked for you. You did right with updating the camera software and formatting the SD card. We would love to hear back from you regarding results of your further testing. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Update from my side:

I have recorded around 20 times until the card was full, and the problem did not reoccur.

So, it looks that formatting the card with the tool solved the problem.

Regards,

Witold

GoPro

[ New ]

Glad to know that @witolda8,

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah formatting never worked for me ...

I will say this, the last two times I had the voice controls off, and it hasn't stopped recording.

So my diagnosis seems to be turn off the voice.

(Which sucks, cause that was one big reason I bought the six)

Tourist

[ New ]

In my case voice control was always turned off.

Tourist

[ New ]

its not working.  camera shows 45min video but in memorycard its on 6 pieces and plays fine on camera screen( no interrupts), when opened  sd card with pc or import with quik there is 5pcs 8min clips and one 5min clip. how this is possible?.  

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @swifttree16136 ,

This  might be associated with file chaptering whcih the camera automatically does to long recordings once a certain files size is reached. Chapters are split like this so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be effected and not the whole thing. You can learn more about it here: GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information

Feel free to post back for any other questions or concerns that you may have. 

Best  regards, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Ok thanks, i think my camera works 100% ok now. Smiley Very Happy

GoPro

[ New ]

Glad to know that @swifttree16136

Please let us know if you need more help. 

Regards,

-Jay