Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 6 Black keeps shutting down

I do video/ music entrances for a local wrestling promotion. I use VMix software and have it display a live feed to 2 projectors.

I purchased a Hero6 black and an elgato camlink 4k to provide live match feed over the screens. I had the camera plugged in to charge and the HDMI run with the GoPro set for live view not recording. I used this set up on our first show with No issues The event lasted about 4 hours overall.

The issue I'm having is I have not been able to replicate the success of the first event. The GoPro will shut down after 10-15 minutes. When the battery is in the camera it does not charge while plugged in and dies. When the battery is removed it still shuts down while plugged in.

Can anyone help. 

GoPro

Re: Hero 6 Black keeps shutting down

Hi @foggysurf87136

See if the same happens when the camera is recording on its own. Please go over steps on this article.

You can also try re-flashing the software. https://gopro.com/update/hero6

For long recordings, it is suggested to take the battery out and let the camera run off the external power source.

Please note that even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Ej

Nomad

Perform a manual update of the camera firmware, you can find the instructions here:

https://gopro.com/update

Also make sure you are using a recommended SD card for your recordings, please check compatability here:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Make sure that you actually are formatting your card in the camera, and not just deleting files or formatting in the PC.

When you are using your camera and charging via USB, you will need to make sure you are using a USB with sufficiant power to allow you to charge.  PC USB and some wall chargers don't output enough to keep the camera running and charged.  You should also disable any functions on the camera you are not using at the time (GPS, WiFi, Stabilition etc.).  Also make sure you have your power off set to "never" in the menu settings.

Tourist

I do not have the camera set to record the footage I just have it turned on plugged into an outlet for power and into the Comper using the HDMI/Camlink. Does it need to record? if it does need to record how did it end up working the first time it was used. 

I will reflash the software this evening when I get home and try a test run with it. to see if that helps. 

The card I use is a SanDisk Extreme PLUS 64GB and I will use a different wall adapter for the charge cable.

GoPro

Thanks! @foggysurf87136

Let us know how it goes after the update.

Regards,

Ej