Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 6 Black external mic crackling audio tried multiple mics

Picked up a Hero 6 and read the built in audio was a bit less than desirable so I got the MIC adapter to go with it an Edutige ETM-001 Mic.  Audio was fantastic until I drove the car.  Then it's distorted with clicking, popping, and completely runied footage.  So, I thought maybe it was some incompatibility with the ETM-001 so I got a Power DeWise Lav mic, same problem.  Sounds great until you get in the car.

Are there any solutions to this?  I tried with Wifi on, off, 2.4Ghz, and 5Ghz.  Nothing made a difference.  I tried turning off everything in the car like radio, etc, still get the crackling static.

Do I have a defective GoPro MIC adapter maybe?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 6 Black external mic crackling audio tried multiple mics

Hello @grandoasis06465

It could be the case, or it could be due to sound interference or ambient or background noise encountered while the car is in motion. It would be best still to contact our Support team for further assistance on this matter. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @grandoasis06465

It could be the case, or it could be due to sound interference or ambient or background noise encountered while the car is in motion. It would be best still to contact our Support team for further assistance on this matter. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Opened a case with GoPro and they asked for video demonstrating the problem.  Figured I'd share it here for anyone else that runs in to this issue.  

This also gives a comparison of the built in mic(s) vs external and when the audio isn't ruined by the interference, you really get to hear how poor the built in mics are.

I've tried different microphones, different vehicles, wifi on and off, as well as in and out of the skeloton case, All have the same result, as soon as the vehicle starts moving ruined audio.  My theory is there is no shielding in the GoPro external mic adapter and it picks up interference.

https://youtu.be/LaBsNLMqXlo

hero 6 black external mic test as requested by gopro support Issue with crackling noise in moving vehicles. I've tried multiple mics, multiple mic settings o...
Highlighted
Tourist

I have this same problem FULL TIME with the external mic adapter........  WTF is GP doing about this?  Hopefully they are looking for my 500bucks to give back to me!

Highlighted
Adventurer

So all works fine.  Until you go in your car..   lets troubleshoot  exactly what you are using in your car! 

1. running off the battery only no  car adapter no wi-f no gps. no vice command  no protune, no light aadjustment audi auto   Turn on camera. hit shutter, record , ht shutter turn off camera    waht does the playback sound like.

I start bench testing things out and you may find your  answer.  I found out it can be a usb type C cable that I used. and that was the official  gopro  had the issue 

so by possible chance are you plugged in  with a  cable  you must have said that in your main post?????????

Highlighted
Tourist

I tried two different GoPro Hero6 cameras, two different external mic adapters, and 3 different microphones.  All exhibited the issue EXCEPT an Audio Technia powered external lav mic.  

I sent raw footage of each to GoPro and they've deteremined it's some kind of engineering issue and have sent it over to engineering for review/resolution.  Been about 3 weeks and haven't heard anything back as of yet but I suspect there'll be a software update or something that fixes this (I hope).  My gut says it's something to do with the noise cancellation features built in to the GoPro.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Jan 2017 I sent this in it's a partial clip, never got resolved.  I know I returned a promic uncertain if it was after  this or before.  I also  know hte quick capture was never resolved, so I doubtthey   resolved this as its present in  the Hero 6 could it actually be the promic,  can be like you said    a bad  product with a ground issue never know.

Highlighted
Tourist

It's not a physical connect or ground issue.  I believe it is software related.

Your issue is a bit different from mine, your sound is on a rhythmic frequency and starts as soon as your in the car.  With my issue the sound is fine while the car is sitting still, only when the car is moveing is it a problem.  I belive, as I said before, it is a noise cancellation issue.  I shot some video in my shop with the GoPro Hero6 and external mic this past weekend and the sound quality was phenomenal, so I think it's related to the background noise of a car moving.