Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hero 6 Black Time Lapse JPG corruption

Any idea what's causing file corruption during timelapses in my quite new GPH6 Black? Its up to date and everyting works (in a Hero 6 kind of way...).

screen1.jpg

I have it sett to min/max 100 ISO (and nothing auto) and even so suddenly the brightness jumps up and files start to get corrupted and unusable in edits. Very frustrating...

I have the Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 64Gb card and in video (240p, 4K etc) I have not noticed any problems.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 6 Black Time Lapse JPG corruption

Hello @pedrohecktheuer

Ultra cards are not among the recommended SD cards for GoPro cameras. They have been found to work initially, but eventually exhibited issues when used with the cameras. Is your SanDisk Extreme card among the recommended ones on this list? If it is, try formatting the card in the camera, and in a computer prior to using it. Here is how to format the card on a computer. Manually updating the camera will help as well. We would like to make sure that any possible error associated with the current installation is cleared out, hence the manual update

Let us know how it works out when you test again. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

Bump.
No ideas on file corruption, anyone..? Is this something that might be due to a faulty camera or is it a feature?

I have several action cameras and this is the first time I've seen anything like this...
Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

What was the interval between shots? What sd card are you using, do you delete images in camera / after import to pc or when was the last time you actually formatted the card in a PC? 

Does it happen every timelapse or just this one? Did you have WDR or HDR switched on?

Give us more to work with.

Highlighted
Hiker

2 second interval in this case. Did happen also on a Night lapse with auto settings and another daytime lapse with 5 second interval.

Card is the SanDisk Extreme Pro V30 64Gb. Same problems exists with other cards and brands (Toshiba Exceria, Samsung Evo Plus).

This SanDisk card was brand new and popped into the camera. I think it formats in camera if it was unformatted, right? Can't remember if I okayed it to format the card. But it was unused and the first time it immediately did this.

Usually I let Quik transfer the files, but sometimes I do it manually and wipe the card clean. Is formatting really necessary between uses..? As I said, I have several action cameras and have never had any problems with only deleting all files between uses...

HDR is for Photo Mode and not available in Timelapses, right..?
Not WDR either, if I haven't missed something...

Just plain pictures in JPG.
12 Mpix photos every couple of seconds shouldn't be that taxing for a camera/card that does 4K 60fps...

And as I wrote in the first post, the weird thing is that the brightness suddenly jumps up (like from ISO 100 to 200) when the corrupted photos start to appear (the screen shot is only of the section where it started) even if min/max ISO is set to 100. There is some kind of connection here, but don't know what it could be...

I noticed the fluctuations in brightness before also, but did not connect it to the corruption issue.

Here a time lapse of over 3000 pictures is fine until this weird ISO jump occurs and then approximately every 3rd or 4th picture is corrupted.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Same thing happened to me just recently on my time lapse to Catalina, CA.  Very frustrating!! Just bought the week before too.  Video's come through great.  Just time lapse photos are having the issues.

Wondering if the work around is to delete these photos?  Adobe premiere elements does not like them and doesn't not seem to be able to t export or render with them.  I know this because it has rendered the sections of time lapse photo's that didn't include these errors.

12596.JPG
Highlighted
Sightseer

New Info; From the original files that I imported from the go pro.
It came off the SD card (san disk extreme plus 128 gb) as 14 folders. 100GOPRO to 113GOPRO. At photo 7,225 (out of 13,001) duplicates start occurring. Keep in mind the camera is taking one picture every two seconds. Where I'm supposed to have one picture per two seconds, I have two identical pictures. The corruptions happen soon after that. They are variably spaced, averaging every 5 photos, they are variably colored, green, red, pink, blue, light blue etc.
Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

12588.JPG

Highlighted
Sightseer

09974.JPG