Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 6 Black, 2 Weeks in, and already a hairline fracture/crack on LCD screen top to bottom.

Dear Enthusiasts, Good day!

My Hero 6 is just 2 weeks old and I'm buying from a verified seller of GoPro in Malaysia.

Item dropped for the first time from 1 meter(or so) and continued rolling on the floor(like neymar) (2 times flipping).

I still cannot believe the first time it dropped, the LCD screen was cracked Smiley Surprised

Based on my physical examination, I can barely feel the fracture when running my fingers through it.

What a heartbreak for me as this was my very first GoPro(6th gen already lolol) and I havent tested it yet for any trip/event as my holidays were not approved by my boss Smiley Sad

Mainly, I will be using this for underwater diving with a depth of 18m and above.

IMG_4726.JPG

A few questions here.

1) How many layers of the LCD for Hero 6? The outermost part is Glass I assume. Can I know how many layers more under the glass of the LCD for Hero 6 that is considered the glue seal. Please help!

2) Is it possible for GoPro to give me a 1 to 1 exchange based on their consent as this was my first GoPro and the camera itself is still in a 99.7% condition. Touchscreen was unaffected, lens is still as new, all working out of the box. The only thing needed is the courtesy of the GoPro hahaha. Its hard being radical weww

3) If  I was going to use it anyway, how about the waterproofing? given that I'm using an original supersuit from GoPro. I'm looking at an 18m - 25m dive. Does the pressure can affect the glass of the LCD with a hairline fracture(assuming glass is the outermost layer)

4) If I'm not using the Super Suit and just bring it for a dip in a pool of 3m depth, is it okay?

Dear passionate bros & sis, ty for reading this. really need a help on this;

I've googled every possible ways of repairing/replacing/continue using the fractured GoPro;

I've went to the FunSportz of Malaysia(sole distributor GoPro) to seek their advice;

and now I'm hoping for the help from any enthusiasts here!

I would love to hear from GoPro Customer Support Smiley Very Happy

sorry for any grammar/spelling mistake, cheers!

IMG_4726.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 6 Black, 2 Weeks in, and already a hairline fracture/crack on LCD screen top to bottom.

Hello @aifqzainun

Thank you for reaching out. For warranty claims, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team, as previously advised by Daniel and Fish. When you contact them, a case will be created for your concern and a representative will walk you through the next steps, and look into options for you. You can connect with them via phone or chat here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 6 Black, 2 Weeks in, and already a hairline fracture/crack on LCD screen top to bottom.

[ Edited ]

First, sorry to hear about the damage to your camera.  While the internal components of the camera are shock proof, the glass of the LCD is still vulnerable to drops on hard surfaces.  I'll try to answer your questions based on my experience, but you really should reach out to the GoPro Support Team about this.  We are a community of members who use GoPro products and not the GoPro Customer Support so our information is limited to experience.  Also, we are unable to facilitate returns/exchanges.

To reach the GoPro Support Team you will want to chat or call.  The information can be found on this page.https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

You will want to reach out to them during normal business hours.  The international numbers are here. https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/Telephone-Numbers

As far as your questions:

1) How many layers of the LCD for Hero 6? The outermost part is Glass I assume. Can I know how many layers more under the glass of the LCD for Hero 6 that is considered the glue seal. Please help!  Unknown

2) Is it possible for GoPro to give me a 1 to 1 exchange based on their consent as this was my first GoPro and the camera itself is still in a 99.7% condition. Touchscreen was unaffected, lens is still as new, all working out of the box. The only thing needed is the courtesy of the GoPro hahaha. Its hard being radical weww Possibly, but accidental damage is not covered.  GoPro will try to work with you. It never hurts to ask.

3) If  I was going to use it anyway, how about the waterproofing? given that I'm using an original supersuit from GoPro. I'm looking at an 18m - 25m dive. Does the pressure can affect the glass of the LCD with a hairline fracture(assuming glass is the outermost layer) Use with the Super Suit will protect the camera from water damage.  The crack on the LCD will not cause any issues when used with the Super Suit.

4) If I'm not using the Super Suit and just bring it for a dip in a pool of 3m depth, is it okay? I wouldn't risk it.  It's probably ok, but not worth the risk. If you sustain water damage, it will not be covered and will cause the camera to stop working. Use the Super Suit.

Highlighted
Adventurer

CAll GoPro at their contact us number during an operating day.  We can talk here all about it andcome up with what is right or wrong and no one will agree on anything that is wrong.  

Glass is it corn? gorilla glass. ask gopro

Is it shockproof only  till 4 ft. the right fall got you good,  and  you can do like i did 70 mph watching hte camera goi fling on the ground and all not a scratch go figure?

is it Dustproof, untill you open a door.

The camera is no longer waterproof surprized the screen  works with swipes

call gopro they will work with you on a 1 to 1 and may   honar under the good faith plan if not  you have purchased wheere and try contacting there.    report back let us know if they  offered you a discount, to a replacement, good luck and happens to the best of us.

Hope you had the frame on that would have protected the glass some.

Warranty  https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/Warranty-Information-EU    read the warranty

Damages deriving from the use or from an accident or caused by the natural wear and tear do not fall within this guarantee or other guarantees. GoPro denies any responsibility deriving from incidental or consequential damages caused by the misuse of the products or its components. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Thnak you very much for your reply!

Unfortunately, I still didnt have the time to contact GoPro because it's during the working hours and I barely remember about my GoPro being cracked and need to contact GoPro because of workload hahaha Smiley Sad

But nevertheless, Thank you for your help!

It seems that I need to find some time to contact GoPro but the downside is my item is nearing 1 month as I'm writing this down Smiley LOL

Good day!

Highlighted
Tourist

As bad as it seems, I'm actually quite shock that it cracked hahaha

All range of extreme sports uses gopro... but I guess thats what life is Smiley LOL

Thanks for your reply!

But I'm still waiting if any of this GoPro community moderator found this post and DM me directly, because I've read a post on how somebody in this community offered him help and that guy got a replacement for it. Hope it happens to me hahaha

Good day sir!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @aifqzainun

Thank you for reaching out. For warranty claims, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team, as previously advised by Daniel and Fish. When you contact them, a case will be created for your concern and a representative will walk you through the next steps, and look into options for you. You can connect with them via phone or chat here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius