Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 6- All videos corrupted

[ New ]

I have 3 Hero6 Black cameras paired with SanDisk Extreme/Extreme Plus/Extreme Pro UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30). I am having an issue with all videos that I record on any of the 3 cameras ending up corrupted. I have tried reformatting the SD cards, but this doesn't fix the issue. I don't think it's an issue with the SD cards, as the model I am using is one of the recommended ones.

Is there any other reason why all of my videos would be corrupted?

GoPro

Re: Hero 6- All videos corrupted

[ New ]

Hi @calebj2013

Do you observe the same when using other resolutions or modes?

See if re-flashing the software will help.

Follow the manual update steps on https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero6

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006,

Thank you for your reply! I will try the software tip. 

I haven't tried other shooting modes. Unfortunately, for the project I'm going to be using the cameras for, I need to be able to shoot in 1080p/120fps/Linear AR. 

Thanks,
Caleb

Nomad

[ New ]

Also, are you using an external SD card reader when you go to get the footage from your cameras?

I had a similar issue years back with the GoPro Hero 4 (I had three of them) and all three camera SD cards were becoming corrupt.  It turns out the SD card reader was faulty and was actually corrupting the cards.  I bought a new SD card reader, and the problem went away.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am actually using an internal SD card reader, but thank you for the suggestion. I've also tried plugging the cameras in through a USB port and importing the videos that way; same result.

Nomad

[ New ]

That's just darn odd.

I have 3 GP6's (yes, I'm an addict), can you share the exact settings?  I'll see if I can replicate on my systems (I have 5 on hand I can try....yes I'm also a PC addict..).

Also, can you share some details about your PC system, specs and such.

At 120FPS, I'm wondering if your files are recording in HEVC mode (which I think is the default for such a high frame rate).  I'm wondering if your files are ok but your system may not support playback.  The quick way to check would be to upload one of the raw "corrupted" files to Youtube and see if it can process it and play it back.  If so, it points to a system issue not a camera issue.  If it doesn't play back, this could point to a camera issue.  Just might be worth trying to see if we can eliminate some possibilities.

Tourist

[ New ]

It's actually not the playback that is faulty, they'll open and play fine. But I use an open-source software to process the videos for motion tracking (Deep Lab Cut), and it won't process the full videos because a large number of frames have been corrupted for each of them. I'm not super knowledgeable/proficient in this area, but the developers of the software ran me through some troubleshooting to figure out that that was the case. There is a work-around, where I just open them in VLC and resave them using their convert/save function. I don't know if that helps at all. 

I don't have the rest of the settings for the cameras handy (other than 1080p/120fps/Linear AR); they are at my work and I'm working from home. But I can post them next week. 

For the computer specs, I've actually tried a couple computers, but the most recent one is a Dell Inspiron G7 with:

- CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6

- Memory: 32GB

Thank you for all your time and help!